97 Maxima vs. 03 Mazda 626

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
MaximaLove
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1997 Nissan Maxima SE

97 Maxima vs. 03 Mazda 626

Post by MaximaLove »

My car isn't the most beautiful car out there; paint is oxidized, no Nissan symbol in the front, the gear box doesn't have leather covering it. But on the inside she's a beauty. 3.0 liters of raw v6 power. Now that being said, I do get the business thrown around from time to time by friends.
One night I pulled into a parking lot to meet up with a bunch of guys I know to show off cars. Knowing my car is nothing special on the exterior, I stayed out of it a bit; looked at some cars, congratulated some guys on their new mods. But one guy I didn't even know started a little shit. Me and my girlfriend were sitting in my car just listening to music and the guy knocks on my window, and says "So what's up with this go-cart man? Going to get some groceries?". This struck a little nerve, so I calmly challenged him to a drag over on a road I know of near my house. He accepted with a smug laugh, and met me over on the spot.
Knowing my car, and how I can drive it, my friends all showed up to root for the underdog. We lined up, and I saw his car. v6, just like me with a little less displacement, but the main problem with his car versus mine was that his was an automatic. A four-speed automatic. I knew in my head that there was zero chance of his victory, so as soon as my girlfriend flagged us down I burned out into first. Revved up to about 6k, powershifted to second and he was already in the dust. I ended the drag with a 45 mph 180° turn to face him, and we stopped face to face. The guy was quite the unceremonious loser, as he called bullshit on the whole race and that my smoke blinded him. You don't need to see when you're traveling in a straight line, buddy. Nice try :)

Moral of the story: don't mess with a car based on looks. Sleepers come in all shapes and sizes.
Proud owner of a 1997 Nissan Maxima SE 5 Speed
3.0L v6
210,000 miles
charbs152
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Mazda3 i Touring 6MT

Re: 97 Maxima vs. 03 Mazda 626

Post by charbs152 »

MaximaLove wrote:My car isn't the most beautiful car out there; paint is oxidized, no Nissan symbol in the front, the gear box doesn't have leather covering it. But on the inside she's a beauty. 3.0 liters of raw v6 power. Now that being said, I do get the business thrown around from time to time by friends.
One night I pulled into a parking lot to meet up with a bunch of guys I know to show off cars. Knowing my car is nothing special on the exterior, I stayed out of it a bit; looked at some cars, congratulated some guys on their new mods. But one guy I didn't even know started a little shit. Me and my girlfriend were sitting in my car just listening to music and the guy knocks on my window, and says "So what's up with this go-cart man? Going to get some groceries?". This struck a little nerve, so I calmly challenged him to a drag over on a road I know of near my house. He accepted with a smug laugh, and met me over on the spot.
Knowing my car, and how I can drive it, my friends all showed up to root for the underdog. We lined up, and I saw his car. v6, just like me with a little less displacement, but the main problem with his car versus mine was that his was an automatic. A four-speed automatic. I knew in my head that there was zero chance of his victory, so as soon as my girlfriend flagged us down I burned out into first. Revved up to about 6k, powershifted to second and he was already in the dust. I ended the drag with a 45 mph 180° turn to face him, and we stopped face to face. The guy was quite the unceremonious loser, as he called bullshit on the whole race and that my smoke blinded him. You don't need to see when you're traveling in a straight line, buddy. Nice try :)

Moral of the story: don't mess with a car based on looks. Sleepers come in all shapes and sizes.
i had a 2000 mazda 626 V6 5 speed, it hauled pretty good for what it was, but i wouldnt brag about it. it looked like a Grannie car but it could move pretty good. i loved that car
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

maximas aren't light, but i wouldn't call them heavy either. with a v6 im pretty sure they put down around 200 horse. not bad mated with a 5 speed. that dudes mazda with an automatic didn't stand a chance. great win, and good jab at the national douchebaggery of america.
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

welcome to the forums. nice car :D

the 4gen is definitely no slouch, especially with a y-pipe :mrgreen:

are you a member on the big ORG (maxima.org)? most members there run mid 14s with just a y-pipe, and claim a mid 6 second 0-60, which isn't too shabby for a 13+ year old car. plus, the VQ sounds amazing with just an intake

be careful as the manual transmissions in the 4th gens are delicate as f**k due to improperly made shims from the factory. i'm having mine rebuilt as i post this :lol:

here is an old piece from motorvate.ca:
Analysis

I think the pre-load on the bearings was too much. The measurements that I took equaled a shim of .0456 of an inch. The shims that I removed were .0520 of an inch, .0064 too much preload! This means the bearing is being compressed .0064 of an inch too much, and it pounds the tapered rollers and the bearing races until they fail, and the surface flakes off.

This is called "spalling" Have a look at this bad bearing tech note from QuakerState Oil. Compare my bearing race to it. They look the same.

6.4 thousandths of an inch may not seem like a lot, but that is 4 shim sizes too tight. Every .0015 of an inch requires a different shim. Over 60,000 Km this excessive preload pounds the bearing, until it starts to fall apart. (Spalling)
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Welcome to the forums and nice ride (pics or ban :!: :o )! As Ved just said, the trannies on these cars are NOT bulletproof like those on some other cars. I change out the gear lube every 20-30k miles with synthetic gear lube (be sure to ONLY use a GL4 rated gear lube; do NOT believe anyone who says GL5 won't hurt your transmission!!), but they are not slouches and even stock can get out of their way and surprise other drivers with their quickness. 190 hp, 205 lb ft of torque and only around 3000 lbs (not much when you look at today's bloated cars) plus driver (haha, this driver is definitely not light :lol: :oops: ) to move and the car is so understated people think it's a grandpa's car, plus it has 4 doors and can hold 5 people and a couple of bodies in the trunk and probably their bags too. i like to drive conservatively and then, when the tailgaters get coy (is that a word anymore and what does it even mean??), I leave them in the dust :twisted:

P.S. Ved, I am very sorry I haven't sent you your present yet; it speaks volumes to my disorganization and forgetfulness (and laziness). I am going to make a stronger effort to remember to get things together and get it done. feel free to remind me again though... :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

NISSAN POWAH!

That is all.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

Nice! Sleepers FTW.

I want a V6 manual. Maxima or 6/626, even an old Camry. Has to be a 3.0 or bigger tho, the IS250 is the only small displacement 6 banger I'd accept.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
jaydubb
Junior Standardshifter

Post by jaydubb »

2002 Maxima 6-speed here.

Congrats on your victory. Now head over to Maxima.org and unite with other 4th Gen brethren...
2002 Maxima SE 6-speed 3.5 V-6
1998 Grand Prix GTP 3800 SC V-6
1991 Camaro RS 5 speed 5.0 V8
1995 K1500 5-speed 5.0 V8