Old rice vs the New rice.

Did you win or lose? Please drive safely!
User avatar
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 6960
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:54 am
Cars: 95 probe GT
Location: toledo ohio
Contact:

Postby hockeystyx16 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:03 am

dshPls wrote: Maybe I'm young, but when it's 10pm and it's me and another car, straight road and no people walking around it's pretty damn safe. Maybe not legal, but we didn't even break the speed limit.

i know exactly what your talking about. i speed. i do stupid sh1t sometimes, not nearly as much as i did a year ago when i was driving a slushie, but i still do, but i dont do stupid sh1t when there are cars around. in 18 now, if i was still driving a slushie, id probably be dead. finding SS and getting a stick changed my driving habits a lot. im a good driver. i dont tailgate, i use turn signals, i pay attention to my surroundings, i understand physics behind cars motion, unlike most people who think they can stop in 10 feet going 70mph or take a 90* corner in their exploder going 45. but i like to have fun driving every here and there.

now im really gonna get flamed big time for this. last night, my buddy and i took his Z28 camaro out on the highway at midnight and had some fun. i was going 90 at the end of a long overpass onramp. with t tops off, no seatbelts. if anything happened, were both flying out the top and were dead. when i was going about a 100, lane jumping around semis, some other camaro started fvcking with us. so i floored it, got it up to 130 and caught up to a assload of slow cars blocking the highway. he jumped on the shoulder and was gone. i laid in the brakes and came about 3 feet from rearending some old piece of sh1t. got off the highway and smelt brakes for the next 10 minutes. that was stupid, reckless, if we got caught, wed both go to jail. if a cop tried to pull us over, id run. im not a us citizen, trouble with the law is pretty much guaranteed deportation, so id rather take my chances running from cops than pull over and get deported. and running from cops is so fun.

but damn, that was fun and a half. stupid, but so damn fun. would i do it again? hell yeah. in a heartbeat. high school and college are the best years of your life, if you dont have fun and enjoy life now, when are you? life sure aint fun with a 9-5 job, bills, wife bitching at you every minute your awake. so what if you can go legally buy booze, that dont make life fun when your old. i can get alcohol just as easy. nows when you get to enjoy life. go ahead. just be ready to accept the risks and always have a plan b for running from cops.

thats how life is. it gives you a taste of good times for 6-10 years, and after that it shits on your head for the rest of your life.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Image

buster
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 879
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:33 pm
Cars: 2010 Prius
Location: Queens, NY

Postby buster » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:02 am

hockeystyx16 wrote: but i dont do stupid sh1t when there are cars around

....snip...

now im really gonna get flamed big time for this. last night, my buddy and i took his Z28 camaro out on the highway at midnight and had some fun. i was going 90 at the end of a long overpass onramp. with t tops off, no seatbelts. if anything happened, were both flying out the top and were dead. when i was going about a 100, lane jumping around semis, some other camaro started fvcking with us. so i floored it, got it up to 130 and caught up to a assload of slow cars blocking the highway. he jumped on the shoulder and was gone. i laid in the brakes and came about 3 feet from rearending some old piece of sh1t. .


And what is this hypocritical piece of garbage you posted?

:wink:
"and Leon's getting laaaarrrrgggggeeeerrrr"

User avatar
dshPls
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:13 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Postby dshPls » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:57 am

Prodigal Son wrote:
dshPls wrote:To be honest, the only reason I don't drive like an ass all the time is because I cherish my car. ... Saying I'm endangering people doesn't deter me.


So you value your car but you do not value the lives of other human beings. I believe the clinical word for that is "psychopath".


You're so bitter, I have to laugh :lol:

The chances of hitting some grandmom are slim to none, the chances of losing control and smacking a curb are low too, but way, way higher than outcome A. The danger in street racing comes when people drive unfamiliar roads in unsafe cars in unsafe conditions. I was on a road I've traveled 1000+ times in the middle of the night.

If I had a feeling something could easily go wrong, I wouldn't shoot off from a redlight, but it's damn fun... and even more fun when you have a ricer next to you.

User avatar
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3079
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:20 pm
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata
Location: Ottawa

Postby Prodigal Son » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:06 am

dshPls wrote:The chances of hitting some grandmom are slim to none, the chances of losing control and smacking a curb are low too, but way, way higher than outcome A. The danger in street racing comes when people drive unfamiliar roads in unsafe cars in unsafe conditions. I was on a road I've traveled 1000+ times in the middle of the night.


You're so clueless and self-centered I have to cry.

But honestly, I'm not trying to win an argument here or one up you in the insult department. I'm trying to make you see that you are engaging in wish fulfillment. You want to race so you tell yourself that you only do so when it's safe. But just because you got away with it once or twice does not mean that it isn't extremely dangerous.

The dangers of an accident increase at night. The risks increase on roads people think are deserted. Most accidents happen within a couple of miles of the driver's home.

You simply have no right to increase the danger to other human beings for the sake of your own fun. If you are willing to take the risk of racing for yourself, go to a drag strip where everyone else involved knows and accepts the risks it poses. Keep it off the streets where you are putting the lives of other people in increased danger.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.

User avatar
dshPls
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:13 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Postby dshPls » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:22 am

Prodigal Son wrote:
dshPls wrote:The chances of hitting some grandmom are slim to none, the chances of losing control and smacking a curb are low too, but way, way higher than outcome A. The danger in street racing comes when people drive unfamiliar roads in unsafe cars in unsafe conditions. I was on a road I've traveled 1000+ times in the middle of the night.


You're so clueless and self-centered I have to cry.

But honestly, I'm not trying to win an argument here or one up you in the insult department. I'm trying to make you see that you are engaging in wish fulfillment. You want to race so you tell yourself that you only do so when it's safe. But just because you got away with it once or twice does not mean that it isn't extremely dangerous.

The dangers of an accident increase at night. The risks increase on roads people think are deserted. Most accidents happen within a couple of miles of the driver's home.

You simply have no right to increase the danger to other human beings for the sake of your own fun. If you are willing to take the risk of racing for yourself, go to a drag strip where everyone else involved knows and accepts the risks it poses. Keep it off the streets where you are putting the lives of other people in increased danger.


hi this is a internet forum


Seriously though, I gave you my conditions at the said time for the "race." Explain to my how an empty, well lit road with no pedestrians is unsafe. Keep in mind the speed limit was 50mph, and when we hit that we didn't exceed it.

The ill conceived notion that we almost killed 20 people and ended the world is ridiculous to me. You're angry at certain street racers so you take it out on everyone who floors it off a light. I'm far from a racer, I drive a Civic!

User avatar
Johnf514
Moderator
Posts: 8568
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:59 pm
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Postby Johnf514 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:26 am

hockeystyx16 wrote:. . . but damn, that was fun and a half. stupid, but so damn fun. would i do it again? hell yeah. in a heartbeat. high school and college are the best years of your life, if you dont have fun and enjoy life now, when are you?. . .


It's all fun and games, my friend, until someone loses an eye. :|

I used to do the same stuff you're talking about, and it's exciting, gets your heart pounding, and absolutely exhilarating. And then someone gets hurt or killed, or you end up in jail. That's the not-so-fun part.

So yes, getting away with 130 MPH down the highway is fun. Crashing because of it, killing others, injurying yourself, and hurting the ones you love are the consequences.

You can cyber-punch me for this, but you'll understand when you're older. :P
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar

User avatar
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3079
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:20 pm
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata
Location: Ottawa

Postby Prodigal Son » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:45 am

dshPls wrote:Seriously though, I gave you my conditions at the said time for the "race." Explain to my how an empty, well lit road with no pedestrians is unsafe. Keep in mind the speed limit was 50mph, and when we hit that we didn't exceed it.


Because you cannot guarantee that the road will stay empty and that no pedestrians will show up. The "deserted road" is one of the great myths of aggressive drivers. The statistics are clear that the less traffic there is on a road the higher the accident rate is per mile traveled. Drivers under those conditions stop looking for dangers and start to assume that the road will stay empty. And that, of course, is when accidents happen. Because a public road is never deserted.

When you race, you take your focus your surroundings and concentrate on the race. In doing so you greatly increase the chance that you will not see the car that suddenly turns into the road or the pedestrian that suddenly steps out of a building. The chance that you will hit and kill these people is greatly increased when you are focused on racing and not a your surroundings.

No matter how small you may imagine these dangers to be (and I guarantee you that you are underestimating them), you have no right to increase the danger to other road users by your inattention.

Whenever the subject of speed is discussed someone always makes the claim that inattention, not speed is the thing that causes accidents. This argument is at least partially correct. Inattention causes accidents. When you race, even if you never exceed the speed limit, your attention is in the wrong place. That's what makes it dangerous to do with you did.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.

User avatar
jomotopia
Moderator
Posts: 10230
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:01 pm
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)
Location: AWD Turbo Nirvana
Contact:

Postby jomotopia » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:26 am

just because someone is accelerating fast doesn't mean they aren't paying attention to their surroundings. if anything i pay more attention to my surroundings when i'm accelerating fast.

first at the light, clear line of sight past the distance to where you would reach 60. no cars in the road or on the shoulder, no bicycles, no pedestrians, and no buildings, driveways, cross streets, intersections, or U turn median breaks in that distance. how can romping it up to 60 be dangerous in that case? it's plainly visible that there is nobody on the road in the distance where you will be accelerating (to the speed limit, and during which at any point you can get on the brakes) and that nobody can enter the road in that distance.

all that said, i don't condone street racing, but i have no problem with accelerating fast. :twisted:
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange

User avatar
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7399
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:17 am
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Postby comingbackdown » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:29 am

I'm not saying I'd never street race, because every once in a while I have a 5 minute stretch where my decision making goes to shit, and I do really dumb things... I've never had that happen behind the wheel, so I can't be sure. Outside of those slap-happy dumbass moments, I'd never even consider a street race.

It's dangerous, it's illegal, and eventually you will get hurt somehow. There are two ends of the spectrum with street races. The middle is happy little you cruising along like a bat outta the pits of hell.

On one extreme end, we have you in jail for criminally negligent homicide or manslaughter or some shit 'cause you creamed a pedestrian or another car that wasn't in the race.

On the other end, we have you getting caught, and either winding up in a high speed chase or getting ticketed/arrested and losing your car.
There's a new program in... I think it's California... If they catch you street racing, you get drug out and forced to watch them dump your car into a compactor. You get to stare and cry for your mommy as they turn your car into a 1' x 1' block of metal. Or, you might just push your car to hard and wind up with thousands in repairs.

Either way, eventually you're gonna get hurt somehow.

Guys like Gary will agree with the fact (yes, it's a fact) that street racing is immature, dangerous, and should not be done.

I'll give my view right now... Streets are not for racing.

What are those things again? Oh yeah... I remember... RACETRACKS! They call them that for a reason!

</rant>
Image
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200

User avatar
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3079
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:20 pm
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata
Location: Ottawa

Postby Prodigal Son » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:38 am

jomotopia wrote:first at the light, clear line of sight past the distance to where you would reach 60. no cars in the road or on the shoulder, no bicycles, no pedestrians, and no buildings, driveways, cross streets, intersections, or U turn median breaks in that distance. how can romping it up to 60 be dangerous in that case? it's plainly visible that there is nobody on the road in the distance where you will be accelerating (to the speed limit, and during which at any point you can get on the brakes) and that nobody can enter the road in that distance.


Where, exactly, are you going to find such conditions outside of the salt flats? Certainly not in any urban area.

jomotopia wrote:all that said, i don't condone street racing, but i have no problem with accelerating fast. :twisted:


We all tend to excuse our own hobbies. Accelerating fast reduces your control over the car and it upsets other people's expectations. We travel so close to each other (motorists, cyclists, pedestrians) that we can only travel safely if we behave in a predictable manner. (Cyclists are the worst for unpredictable behavior on the road.) Unusually rapid acceleration on a public street disrupts people expectations about how other cars will behave and that it dangerous.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.

User avatar
jomotopia
Moderator
Posts: 10230
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:01 pm
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)
Location: AWD Turbo Nirvana
Contact:

Postby jomotopia » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:55 am

Prodigal Son wrote:Where, exactly, are you going to find such conditions outside of the salt flats? Certainly not in any urban area.


well, it doesn't take much road for me to get up to 60, there are spots like that out in the suburbs/rural areas. 4 lane divided highways with nothing around and intersections only every mile or so.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange

User avatar
Computerman
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:09 pm
Cars: Mazda 323 GT Wagon
Location: Trinidad
Contact:

Postby Computerman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:27 pm

Johnf514 wrote:You can cyber-punch me for this, but you'll understand when you're older. :P
If he gets there.
Image

Solotw
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:53 pm

Postby Solotw » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:09 pm

I don't want to get into a big argument here I'm just throwin my opinion out there.

Hockeystyx16 I gotta say I disagree with you about the whole "now is the time to have fun" thing. I'm 17 soon to be 18 (tomorrow!) and throughout most of my teenage years have given up many of the fun things to which you refer because some things are just more important to me. I make sacrifices, I don't have as much fun and I do miss that but I make the decisions I think are right.

On a slightly different note relating to our topic:

One of my friends from the past wrapped his car around a telephone pole.
Another one of my old friends has a fvcked up back for probably his whole life because of a car accident. (f**k up to the extent that serious sport playing is out of the question)

User avatar
six
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4672
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:45 pm
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT
Location: California, U.S.

Postby six » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:26 pm

Wow, condoning reckless driving and running from the cops. Running 130 down a highway with no seatbelts? Can anyone get any more stupid?
Image
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT

User avatar
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:23 am
Cars: '91 Camaro RS, '86 944
Location: Naval Aviation School, Pensacola, Florida
Contact:

Postby DocPHD » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:28 am

While i tend to agree that driving recklessly is stupid, and streetracing does promote reckless driving, there is a HUGE difference between the two. I have a problem with people driving 10 miles UNDER the speed limit, alternating left and right blinkers and swerving all over the road. that's annoying and much more dangerous then streetracing will ever be.
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs


Return to “Stick Versus All”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest