Mustang GT 5MT

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Mustang GT 5MT

Post by Rope-Pusher »

And I Cuda had a V-8!

2015 Corvette will get 29 mpg highway, GM says

An 8-speed automatic transmission debuting in the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette boosts fuel economy by 3.5 percent over the six-speed it replaces and gives the General Motors long-running sports car an EPA highway rating of 29 mpg, its highest rating ever.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014082 ... 9274467E4R
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Rope-Pusher wrote:And I Cuda had a V-8!

An 8-speed automatic transmission debuting in the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette boosts fuel economy by 3.5 percent over the six-speed it replaces and gives the General Motors long-running sports car an EPA highway rating of 29 mpg, its highest rating ever.

Its rated at 16 city and 29 highway and 20 combined. lol

I know people look at the 29 mpg and get impressed but that's only because of cylinder deactivation which essentially turns it into a fairly light 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive car. This only comes into play when steady highway cruising with very little throttle input. In the real world, you will probably get a lot less than that. 20 mpg combined sounds about right if you drive like a granny.
2012 VW Golf R
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

daleadbull wrote:

I know people look at the 29 mpg and get impressed but that's only because of cylinder deactivation which essentially turns it into a fairly light 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive car. This only comes into play when steady highway cruising with very little throttle input. In the real world, you will probably get a lot less than that. 20 mpg combined sounds about right if you drive like a granny.
My father-in-law used to have an automatic 'vette before I met my wife. He said that he actually could get mid 20s if he wasn't pushing it too hard. This was 8+ years ago...

I do find it interesting that the difference between the city/highway is so high. I feel like most cars are 8-11 or so apart. This is 13 mpg apart...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Squint wrote:
daleadbull wrote:

My father-in-law used to have an automatic 'vette before I met my wife. He said that he actually could get mid 20s if he wasn't pushing it too hard. This was 8+ years ago...

I do find it interesting that the difference between the city/highway is so high. I feel like most cars are 8-11 or so apart. This is 13 mpg apart...
I just re-read my post and I think it comes off like I hate the Corvette lol which is not the case at all. It is without a doubt the best American performance car on the market right now. I just think the highway mpg figure is pretty skewed and you shouldn't judge the car's fuel economy by looking at that highway number alone. The combined figure is a much better indicator. The new tech like cylinder deactivation is nice to have but you shouldn't be buying a Corvette if fuel economy is your main priority. :)
2012 VW Golf R
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

.29 drag coefficient and probably decently low frontal area, combined with gears made for getting the best out of that engine's torque on the highway...of course it's gonna do great on the highway.

And, honestly, it isn't ridiculous to shoot for that goal. Anything that helps CAFE numbers helps make sure we can keep getting vehicles like this.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I thought it was interesting that the Mustang V-6 highway fuel mileage is less than the V-8 Vette.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

The perforated bovine keys in on the right factors. The spread is greater than typical because those strengths don't do much on the city cycle. My '93 is rated 15/23 and my current average is 21.77, hitting over 25 for individual tanks about 15% of the time and multiple tanks over 27...And that's without ever having done a full tank of road trip with it, hitting the highway and just going, which is where it really shines with the .50 sixth gear and clean aero.

If you want to beat EPA mileage, it helps to start with a favorable driving cycle. If you have traffic lights every couple of blocks or a lot of trips shorter than 10 miles, give or take, or do a lot of idling with the engine running, circling parking lots, or sitting in drive-throughs, you'll have an uphill battle. Proper tire inflation and not carrying around a lot of excess weight will help. After the driving cycle, however, the single biggest contributor is your driving style...And you don't have to be antisocial about it.

In most vehicles, you'll want to shift fairly short, and the last 20-25% of throttle travel frequently imposes a fuel penalty. To the extent it won't disrupt traffic and infuriate people, let off the throttle as soon as you figure out that a light will be red when you get there, maybe even applying brake early if it will keep you from having to come to a complete stop. To the extent it's practical (which is frustratingly rarely) I also try to do my accelerating downhill and my decelerating uphill. There are finer points, but those are the big ones.
Rope-Pusher wrote:I thought it was interesting that the Mustang V-6 highway fuel mileage is less than the V-8 Vette.
That's where the 'Vette's aerodynamics and gearing are massive advantages.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:The perforated bovine keys in on the right factors. The spread is greater than typical because those strengths don't do much on the city cycle. My '93 is rated 15/23 and my current average is 21.77, hitting over 25 for individual tanks about 15% of the time and multiple tanks over 27...And that's without ever having done a full tank of road trip with it, hitting the highway and just going, which is where it really shines with the .50 sixth gear and clean aero.

If you want to beat EPA mileage, it helps to start with a favorable driving cycle. If you have traffic lights every couple of blocks or a lot of trips shorter than 10 miles, give or take, or do a lot of idling with the engine running, circling parking lots, or sitting in drive-throughs, you'll have an uphill battle. Proper tire inflation and not carrying around a lot of excess weight will help. After the driving cycle, however, the single biggest contributor is your driving style...And you don't have to be antisocial about it.

In most vehicles, you'll want to shift fairly short, and the last 20-25% of throttle travel frequently imposes a fuel penalty. To the extent it won't disrupt traffic and infuriate people, let off the throttle as soon as you figure out that a light will be red when you get there, maybe even applying brake early if it will keep you from having to come to a complete stop. To the extent it's practical (which is frustratingly rarely) I also try to do my accelerating downhill and my decelerating uphill. There are finer points, but those are the big ones.
Rope-Pusher wrote:I thought it was interesting that the Mustang V-6 highway fuel mileage is less than the V-8 Vette.
That's where the 'Vette's aerodynamics and gearing are massive advantages.
running on 4 cylinders will reduce the throttling losses also, but I bet it has more tire rolling resistance than the 'Stang.

I was trying to find a plot showing % contribution to road load horsepower due to various factors as a function of vehicle speed, but all I could find was The Stang
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:I was trying to find a plot showing % contribution to road load horsepower due to various factors as a function of vehicle speed
I remember a post on Fuelly with a chart/breakdown of percentage of fuel usage for each factor, with some of them (like aerodynamic drag) broken down into more detail. It's not exactly what you said but it is out there.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:I was trying to find a plot showing % contribution to road load horsepower due to various factors as a function of vehicle speed
I remember a post on Fuelly with a chart/breakdown of percentage of fuel usage for each factor, with some of them (like aerodynamic drag) broken down into more detail. It's not exactly what you said but it is out there.
The charts I was thinking of were road-load power, not fuel consumption. They wouldn't show the effects on fuel consumption by technology like cylinder deactivation, but it would be interesting to compare how the factors shake out comparing one car to another for what determines the power required to drive down the road.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:The charts I was thinking of were road-load power, not fuel consumption. They wouldn't show the effects on fuel consumption by technology like cylinder deactivation, but it would be interesting to compare how the factors shake out comparing one car to another for what determines the power required to drive down the road.
That's consistent with what I remember of the chart, it was just in a fuel usage context rather than a horsepower usage.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FORD REVEALS NEW SHELBY GT350 MUSTANG
And in other Ford news, if you watched Autoline After Hours a few weeks back with Dave Pericak, the chief engineer of the Mustang you may remember one of the strangest callers that I ever heard who said after a bunch of drinks with a few higher-ups in the company, they revealed that a new performance version of the Mustang was coming. The caller said it would have a flat-plane crankshaft 5.2L V8, which would get put in one of the most iconic Mustang nameplates of all time, the Shelby GT350. Well, lo and behold we can now confirm that as being true. The 180-degree interval at which the connecting rods are attached to the crankshaft, rather than the usual 90-degrees, is more typically found in race engines or exotic European sports cars. The engine is the most powerful naturally aspirated production engine the company has ever produced. It will put out more than 500 horsepower and is mated to a 6-speed manual transmission. Other highlights of the track-focused car include MagneRide dampers, Brembo brakes and a bunch of trick to improve aerodynamics. No word yet on when you can go out and buy one.

Follow the link to the website, watch the video, and listen to the engine - it sounds like a candle!
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedi ... turns.html
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

More info on the Voodoo V-8 from Torque news

http://www.torquenews.com/106/ford-shel ... -explained
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

SHELBY GT350 ENGINE DETAILS
"How they handle crankcase oil sloshing is baffling"
Forgoing turbo and supercharging, even direct injection, Ford’s all-new 5.2-liter V8 found in the Shelby GT350 and GT350R is one monster of an engine.

Producing 526 horsepower and 429 lb-ft of torque, this engine displaces 101 horsepower per liter — claiming the title of the most powerful naturally aspirated engine in Ford’s history.

Screaming all the way to 8,250 rpm, it produces 90 percent of its peak torque at 3,450 rpm through 7,000 rpm.

Responsible for the engine’s high-revving nature is the utilization of a flat-plane crankshaft similar to Ferrari V8s.

This approach helps the engine breathe more efficiently, reduces weight, creates more power and bellows out a loud roar from the stang’s active exhaust system.

A neat trick we found were tiny ridges carved into the intake and exhaust ports themselves to increase the speed of airflow.

Also utilizing an 87-millimeter throttle body, the engine’s power can be quickly accessed.

A one-piece oil pan also adds two quarts of oil capacity compared to Ford’s 5.0 V8 and contains baffling designed to tackle the high-speed cornering and braking of track use

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedi ... stang.html