Mustang GT 5MT

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Re: Mustang GT 5MT

Post by permabanned »

jeremy put it perfect on top gear. 100 thousand dollars is a lot to pay for a corvette, but it is enzo fast

and terminator is the best mustang ever made by a distance so great human measures cant measure it, and you can get one for just over 20k these days. bargain.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Warner wrote:Anyway, unlike you two I don't judge cars based on the people who drive them.
I judge based on both car and driver.

Mustangs I just flat out dislike. Too little change technology-wise since the day they came out. The fact that I can pick out the average Mustang driver in a heard of people and he is always the most annoying to share a space with of course does not help the cause at all.

Corvettes are Different. They really are the American supercar. Or at least the foundation for them. That, and I rarely ever meet a dickwad driver. Not that it helps the image, but I almost owned a vette as my first car.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

Warner wrote:
Tinton wrote:
Warner wrote:I don't really like many American cars, but one of the few exceptions is the '03-'04 Mustang Cobra. Those things are the sex.

The only other American cars I can think of off-hand that I like are the Z06 and obviously the ZR1.
All faggot cars. :evil: For being an American-car-guy I hate the Mustang and Corvette, for the success they've had they're massively overrated. There's many American cars I'd like to own, but the Corvette and Mustang aren't among them. The only Corvette I'd really like to own is a C4 Grand Sport, cause those look like sex (IMO) or a C4 ZR-1 with the LT5 engine. A 5.7L DOHC V8 would just be sick to drive, imo much more so than a LS7.
watkins wrote:I wouldnt call them fagot cars. If anything, bluehaired old f*cktard cars, since thats the majority of drivers.

There area a lot of Vettes I wouldnt mind owning though. Most older. Stingrays for instance are absolutely stunning cars. No Rustangs though.
The '03-'04 Cobra is a huge step-up in performance from the GT, but I can at least partially understand your dislike for it. The Z06 and ZR1, on the other hand, are completely different cars and nothing at all like the base Corvette. You simply cannot deny the incredible performance of these cars. I don't see at all how you can call them overrated when they are a huge bargain for the performance you're getting.

Anyway, unlike you two I don't judge cars based on the people who drive them.
I'm not totally basing it off the people who drive them. Its other things too, for instance the Corvette is the best example of the backwards-thinking conservative BS that's gotten GM shitcanned. It may post big performance numbers but in any review I've seen the car's just brutish, uncomfortable, unsophisticated, etc. And even if it does post big numbers on paper that doesn't mean it will for every driver, sometimes you just need someone like The Stig to really show a car's performance. In regular driving it might have horrible bumpsteer and unpredictable handling: it might only be able to backup the performance numbers when in competent hands. My real point, though, is the insane conservatism of the Corvette. GM has stuck with the same basic design and technology since the mid 1950's :shock:, IIRC it still has the shitty leaf springs that Corvettes have had since the C1. It also still has the same kind of pushrod V8 its had since the late 50's. I just don't see how such a bland, unoriginal copy of itself can be a desirable car. If someone wanted to trade me a C6 Z06 for my MR2, with no cash considerations, I wouldn't do it. There's much more to a car than just performance numbers.

I also hate the Corvette cause it lead to the death of the Fiero. In the late 80's GM was working on a few "extreme" Fiero projects, IIRC 1 was a 2.9L DOHC V6 turbo and the other was a factory V8 swap. Both would eat the Corvette for lunch in every kind of test, acceleration, handling, braking, etc. The Fiero, at least back then, was a better platform for being GM's flagship, and at the time the Corvette was on the chopping block. The Corvette faction within GM didn't want to see their car die (same with the fanbase), so they forced the Fiero to keep its commuter-car image with its lowly 2.8L V6 and Iron Duke 4-cylinder. This in the end killed the Fiero because GM expected a commuter car to sell 100,000+ units every year and they had saturated the market in 84. They were actually planning on coming out with a mkII starting in 1990, and it was supposed to have a DOHC 2.9L or 3.1L V6, similar to the 3.4L DOHC V6 used in 90's Chevy Luminas. That car with that engine would've been a fair match for the early 90's Vette, and given time and proper funding/research I think that by today it'd be a much better car.

1990 Fiero Prototype:

The Corvette is the best example of GM's "stuck-in-a-rut" conservative car-making mentality. If they actually discontinued the Corvette in the 70's or 80's like they should have, they would've been able to innovate more, helping them keep pace with Toyota/Honda/etc. That would've possibly ended up in a much better Fiero than what got released to the public :|.
Evicatos
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3

Post by Evicatos »

Tinton wrote:It may post big performance numbers but in any review I've seen the car's just brutish, uncomfortable, unsophisticated, etc.
You mean just like the vast majority of sports cars out there? What you're complaining about is pretty much the entire point of the Corvette, and the entire point of a whole lot of other sports cars too. Or did you think that something like an F40 or an Elise was refined and comfortable to drive?
Hello world.
Silverado
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Evicatos wrote:
Tinton wrote:It may post big performance numbers but in any review I've seen the car's just brutish, uncomfortable, unsophisticated, etc.
You mean just like the vast majority of sports cars out there? What you're complaining about is pretty much the entire point of the Corvette, and the entire point of a whole lot of other sports cars too. Or did you think that something like an F40 or an Elise was refined and comfortable to drive?
I don't know about a Speed3, but how refined and comfortable is yours?
Been driving stick since March of 2009
paul34 wrote:good luck on the stickshifting journey - it never ends! And we're all in it together.
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

I think it's pretty unfair to judge the Z06 and ZR1 based on what they could have or should have been. Looking at them for what they are and nothing more, they are incredible cars that perform like other cars 3x the price or more. Their transverse leaf springs, btw, are nothing like they sound (i.e. like primitive truck leaf springs). They actually considerably reduce the weight of the suspension, lower the center of gravity and also act somewhat like anti-roll bars. Their only downside is that they're expensive to modify.

I'm also pretty sure the only thing that has remained the same about the pushrod engine is the fact that it is a pushrod engine. I suppose this can be seen as a disadvantage, but even with the disadvantages it brings (low revving capabilities (although 7k is impressive for a pushrod engine and plenty if you aren't looking to modify a lot), only 2 valves per cylinder as opposed to often having 4 or even 5 in OHC type engines, etc.), it's still a very impressive and powerful engine. It's obviously not the most displacement-efficient engine ever, but it still makes 505 HP while remaining relatively light.

Obviously you are entitled to your own opinion, but your opinion is wrong.

lol jk
Evicatos
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3

Post by Evicatos »

Silverado wrote:
Evicatos wrote:
I don't know about a Speed3, but how refined and comfortable is yours?
It's actually fairly comfortable (although not that comfortable on long trips), but somewhat unrefined (which is what makes it fun). It also isn't a pure sports car like a Corvette though.
Last edited by Evicatos on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello world.
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

I'm no Vette lover, but I do believe that for their pricepoint, the C6, Z06, and ZR1 dominate all other sports cars on the market. There are still a few print magazines in existence (for now) that have put every performance car through the paces, and the Corvette is a beast.

Whether or not "Corvette drivers" use their car's full potential is irrelevant. How a car is marketed, and who it is marketed toward, is irrelevant.

Driving is an emotional experience, and those emotions get carried over to our views of cars, and thus affect our opinions of them, but the data doesn't lie. We may not like Corvettes, but if we like sports cars, we have to respect them.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

paul34 wrote:Personally, I've never found anything to really dislike about Corvettes except for the long hood.
To each his own...I like long hoods.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

My car has a surprisingly long hood actually. Mostly its because of the curvature of the front end I guess
Silverado
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 Silverado

Post by Silverado »

I've got a short bed, but a long shifter!
Been driving stick since March of 2009
paul34 wrote:good luck on the stickshifting journey - it never ends! And we're all in it together.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Silverado wrote:I've got a short bed, but a long shifter!
:shock: :roll:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FAS

Fat-Assed Steed

The 2015 Ford Mustang Might Be 300lbs Heavier - and That Would Be Shocking

"According to Mustang aftermarket gurus Steeda Autosports, the 2015 Ford Mustang curb weight has increased by 200- to 300 pounds – although no detail has been offered as to which components caused this very significant curb weight jump." - See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-ford ... DljyD.dpuf
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:FAS

Fat-Assed Steed

The 2015 Ford Mustang Might Be 300lbs Heavier - and That Would Be Shocking

"According to Mustang aftermarket gurus Steeda Autosports, the 2015 Ford Mustang curb weight has increased by 200- to 300 pounds – although no detail has been offered as to which components caused this very significant curb weight jump." - See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-ford ... DljyD.dpuf
Wow...way to bring an old thread back from the dead.

The added weight on the new Mustang isn't really a surprise. The car will have added weight because of the IRS, for one thing. But Ford also said the engine will be more powerful than last year, which means more than 420 HP.

Anyway, it was interesting to read all the BS from years ago and compare it to what we know today. Back in 2009, we didn't yet know that Ford would build a version of the Mustang like the Boss 302 Laguna Seca, which is a street car that can also be quite a serious track car. Hell, Ford even managed to somehow match the performance of a Competition Package V8 M3 with a basic Mustang GT, live axle and all. Think about that....and imagine how much better the new one will be, especially considering that Ford had said that the new Mustang GT will outperform the old Boss Laguna Seca on a track.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

You can lead a horse to the gas pump,.....and this one sure can drink!

Leaked stickers suggest a thirstier 2015 Ford Mustang as weight creeps up (Leaking stickers - sounds like another recall in the making)

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014082 ... 9274467E4R
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"