5-speed vs. 6-speed

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: 5-speed vs. 6-speed

Post by AHTOXA »

As far as torque vs revs, higher torque is far more practical in daily use than higher-revving, higher hp motor.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
gburn
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Civic Si sedan

Post by gburn »

It's hard to say which I like better at this point. The 2L 148hp Mazda3 sedan was definitely more fun to drive than the VW GTI with the 2L turbocharged engine that makes more torque and more hp. The 2.5L Mazda 6 was not as much fun to drive as either of the above. All of these were automatic trans. Maybe has to do with the Mazda3's handling, steering, suspension, etc.? Since then I have driven a 2L Mazda3 with 5spd. manual. It was my first time driving standard shift and I was concentrating on clutching and shifting, not really putting the car through any paces. My frame of reference is my 98 Regal with 3.8L 6cyl automatic. I don't think I have ever seen it rev higher than 3000 and the engine is usually very quiet and smooth. I've never really felt it to be underpowered. It has just become dull. Initially I really liked what Buick called its GT suspension after driving big boats, like Crown Vics, most of the 90s.
2008 Civic Si 4dr.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Interesting.

Could you elaborate a little more as to why did you think the 2 L Mazda was more fun than the GTI? Normally the consensus is otherwise, especially regarding handling - which GTI is good at.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
bde
Senior Standardshifter

Post by bde »

for me, the most important consideration between 5-6 speed would be the use and ratio of the 2nd gear.

On a 5 speed, 2nd gear is generally less usable at low speed (driving on parking lot etc) vs 6-speed, sometimes forcing you to go into 1st in order not to stall when going really slow. 6-speed will generally be more lenient in this sense by allowing you to stay in 2nd and not stall. 2nd is pretty much the main gear for city driving before making a turn - u'd always downshift into 2nd before doing major turns (i'm generalizing) and u'd get more from a 2nd gear on a 6 speed vs 5-speed in general.

Highway and overdrive stuff fro 6th was already covered here, so all in all it's 6 speed for me!
Good decisions come from experience -
experience comes from bad decisions...
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Hyundai GenCoupe

Post by Draklen »

I had both 5 and 6 speeds, with similar wheel horse power (and torque, I think) levels (5spd is AWD and 6spd is RWD, though) and overall range is the same. Below is the Speed to RPM for each gear.

Learning isn't any different between the 2, just remembering that there is now a 6th where R was heh.

I would like the 5spd ratios plus a 6th with a better overdrive for MPG purposes on the freeway.

comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2013 Ford Fiesta

Post by comingbackdown »

AHTOXA wrote:As far as torque vs revs, higher torque is far more practical in daily use than higher-revving, higher hp motor.
Right on. My Cavalier made more torque than horsepower, and that thing was cake to launch. My truck also makes more torque than horsepower, which occasionally results in accidental tire chirps. However, I can no-gas with the bed a third of the way full of wet firewood. Honestly, with a lot of torque it takes a bit more pedal control than I'm used to, but I'm getting there, and I enjoy knowing I've got pull when I need it.
2013 Ford Fiesta + a bike and a land yacht which are in pieces.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

AHTOXA wrote:What sucks is that when I drive my five-speed integra I want to shove it into nonexistant sixth after I drive the goat. Ha.
Hondas reverses are under fifth so, this could be bad considering if your reverse lockout failed....
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

My VW 5 speed has a push-down-into-the-floor lockout for its reverse, which is to the left of 1st.

1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

theholycow wrote:My VW 5 speed has a push-down-into-the-floor lockout for its reverse, which is to the left of 1st.
So that's how you get into reverse on a VW...
I couldn't figure it out at all on the Jetta I sat in at the SF auto show. I pushed to the left of first and felt the lockout, but I couldn't get it past it. At one point I finally got it in, but once I took it out I couldn't do it again. :lol: (twhs) Same story on the Beetle (Girly or not, nice car).
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

Yeah, there are some innovative lockouts out there.

Typically hondas lock you out from a 5th to reverse, but rather you have to pull to neutral first then move into reverse.

Others have the pull collar, or the push down....or...

The most innovative ive seen is bmw's friction lockout. Reverse is up left, and to get there you push hard to the wall to get past the detents. I love it.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

My dad's 1978 Chevrolet C20 pickup had a dogleg reverse. It didn't have a lockout, but the shifter went so far left and so far back that it was just about in the driver's anus when in reverse. There was no chance of accidentally putting it in reverse instead of the granny gear that was next to it below 1st.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

fa22raptorf22 wrote:Reverse is up left, and to get there you push hard to the wall to get past the detents. I love it.
See that's what I was trying to do to get the VW into reverse. I was pushing pretty hard on it go get it to go past the normal 1/2 gate (not so hard that I'd break it), but it wouldn't budge. :lol:
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

1974Alfa5spd wrote:
fa22raptorf22 wrote:Reverse is up left, and to get there you push hard to the wall to get past the detents. I love it.
See that's what I was trying to do to get the VW into reverse. I was pushing pretty hard on it go get it to go past the normal 1/2 gate (not so hard that I'd break it), but it wouldn't budge. :lol:
Dude, idk. All the VW's ive used, have push to the floor reverses, all the BMW's push hard left. I tell you that i am surprised when I get a pull collar reverse!
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

fa22raptorf22 wrote:Dude, idk. All the VW's ive used, have push to the floor reverses, all the BMW's push hard left. I tell you that i am surprised when I get a pull collar reverse!
I didn't know that you had to push down. I thought it was BMW style and you just pushed to the left. I'm a derp, that's all. :lol:
I knew the collar style reverse when I sat into the STi.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

1974Alfa5spd wrote:
fa22raptorf22 wrote:Dude, idk. All the VW's ive used, have push to the floor reverses, all the BMW's push hard left. I tell you that i am surprised when I get a pull collar reverse!
I didn't know that you had to push down. I thought it was BMW style and you just pushed to the left. I'm a derp, that's all. :lol:
I knew the collar style reverse when I sat into the STi.
Hah, I cannot stand the collar lockouts!

I am a big fan of the detent ones or the 'neutral then reverse' ones.