Notchy?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
gburn
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Civic Si sedan

Notchy?

Post by gburn »

What does it mean when someone criticizes a transmission or shifter as being "notchy."
Thanks.
George
2008 Civic Si 4dr.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Re: Notchy?

Post by jomotopia »

it means the shifting motion feels just that, notchy. you can feel it coming out of gear, pushing against the synchro, and clicking into gear. as opposed to being a perfectly smooth, fluid motion. personally i prefer a shifter that is at least a little notchy. i like the feedback of what's going on. my shifter is VERY notchy.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

jomotopia wrote:it means the shifting motion feels just that, notchy. you can feel it coming out of gear, pushing against the synchro, and clicking into gear. as opposed to being a perfectly smooth, fluid motion. personally i prefer a shifter that is at least a little notchy. i like the feedback of what's going on. my shifter is VERY notchy.
+1. I like the fact I can feel my shifter going into gear. It isn't probably as notchy as yours, Jomo, but it is something I like strangely enough.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

My VW's transmission is the opposite of notchy. It's buttery smooth. It's got just enough feedback that you never miss any information...it communicates, you just have to retune your hand to listen more closely.

When I first got it I criticized it as being like a video game, but now that I've tuned in I can say it provides ample feedback. I wish I could say the same about the clutch.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

I've heard that from just about every VW owner I know. And that isn't just current ones either. As long is there is some type of feel from the shifter, I'm good. I just don't want a shifter that is too smooth.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

There is two versions of "notchy"
1) The good kind
->This is what I like. A crisp shift that clicks in and out of gear and just plain feels excellent.
These shifters have excellent feedback and you can feel everything through the linkage.

2) the bad.
->Some shifters are notchy in the sense that they feel bad by not going in smooth and clean.
There is a difference between notchy and crisp, and notchy and cranky.

The cranky is when you push for a gate and the lever kind of notches its way in. Instead of a nice *clunk*, you get more of a *claaaa...clunk*
gburn
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Civic Si sedan

Post by gburn »

fa22raptorf22 wrote:There is two versions of "notchy"
1) The good kind
->This is what I like. A crisp shift that clicks in and out of gear and just plain feels excellent.
These shifters have excellent feedback and you can feel everything through the linkage.

2) the bad.
->Some shifters are notchy in the sense that they feel bad by not going in smooth and clean.
There is a difference between notchy and crisp, and notchy and cranky.

The cranky is when you push for a gate and the lever kind of notches its way in. Instead of a nice *clunk*, you get more of a *claaaa...clunk*
That's a helpful distinction.
2008 Civic Si 4dr.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Good notchy shifters also frequently pop in to gear with a satisfying thunk sound. I can hear my gears/other transmission bits moving around as I shift. The rod linkage transmits sound into the cockpit pretty well in that regard.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

jomotopia wrote:it means the shifting motion feels just that, notchy. you can feel it coming out of gear, pushing against the synchro, and clicking into gear. as opposed to being a perfectly smooth, fluid motion. personally i prefer a shifter that is at least a little notchy. i like the feedback of what's going on. my shifter is VERY notchy.
Yeah, the goat's also very notchy. I don't mind at all. When I drove the VW, it was buttery smooth.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650