Headers!

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
AJzoomerang01
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 01' chevy camaro V6

Re: Headers!

Post by AJzoomerang01 »

i put a K&N intake on and a magnaflow catback and now the headers so it should be tuned id have to think right?. just gotta find a good place to get it done. i was thinking about putting new plugs and wires on to maybe give it a little more power what r ur guys thoughts on this? id go with the 4 or 3 point plugs to get a bigger spark and wires by MSD
"burn rubber, not your soul"
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I'm not sure about tunes, but usually you can get like the handheld tuners or chips that will be more than sufficient for a lightly modded car.

I'd only go with custom tunes once you start getting into things that aren't quite so bolt-on, like headwork/cams etc.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

theholycow wrote:
Does anyone know a good custom tuning company for his 3.8 V6? The company I know of (Blackbear Performance) only deals in the GM V8.
There's lots of Fiero people who build up those 3.8 V6's (they're one of the most common swaps in Fieros) but I'm not sure if there's many chips/tunes available for the 3.8NA. The 3800SC is where people get a lot more power and I know there's plenty of Fiero shops that make chips for those engines. Most 3.8NA swaps I've seen, the engine was just kept stock. In any case I doubt a tune would really help a 3800 that doesn't have bolt ons, AJ you should really get headers+y-pipe+other exhaust first, then intake, then a tune.

And THC, I've only seen that laptop tuning method done on European imports like my friend's Jetta 1.8T. For my MR2 I had to get a piggyback fuel management computer and a shop tuned the car on a dyno. With my '88GT, the previous owners of the car bought a performance chip from a Fiero engine-builder/swapper named DarthFiero. In general driving style isn't that important when tuning, you really just tune the a/f ratio according to RPM, throttle position, and load, and that's dependent on the engine and what mods you have. The chip in my 88GT mostly just increases how long the injectors pulse, all the way throughout the RPM band. So it should add enough fuel to compensate for my intake/exhaust mods.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

eaglecatcher wrote:I'm not sure about tunes, but usually you can get like the handheld tuners or chips that will be more than sufficient for a lightly modded car.

I'd only go with custom tunes once you start getting into things that aren't quite so bolt-on, like headwork/cams etc.
Why pay $200 for a tune that's made for everybody when you could pay the same for a tune made specifically for you?
Tinton wrote:And THC, I've only seen that laptop tuning method done on European imports like my friend's Jetta 1.8T.
Ah. Well, it's also quite common for the GM V8 and, as our resident Saabers say, Saabs. For the GM V8 there's HPTuners and EFILive software. A quick google suggests that HPTuners might work on smaller GM engines too.
In general driving style isn't that important when tuning, you really just tune the a/f ratio according to RPM, throttle position, and load, and that's dependent on the engine and what mods you have.
Mods are undeniably important when tuning, but driving style and driver priorities are too. However, I'll admit that it's significantly less important for people who have 3 pedals, especially if your only concern is maximum power at all times.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AJzoomerang01
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 01' chevy camaro V6

Post by AJzoomerang01 »

this is why i have regrets of the V6 instead of the V8 :( once i get the headers on then the whole exhaust and intake will be done. headers catback intake anything else? damn i wish it was the LS or (in my dream) have the money to drop a 350 crate in it. money really hurts ya when u want something eh? back to tuning, how many of you have your car tuned and what did u have it tuned specifically for?
"burn rubber, not your soul"
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

Tinton wrote: AJ you should really get headers+y-pipe+other exhaust first, then intake, then a tune.
+1

i don't know much about the 3800, but i know that on my Maxima, the y-pipe was really restrictive due to it's 2 pre-cats and weird design. i'm sure i gained at least 15HP from just swapping it out with an aftermarket one. there is a huge difference in power, especially in mid-range. punching it in first is pointless now as all i get is wheelspin/hop.

plus, you'll probably get a lot more out of a tune with all exhaust components upgraded first.

like i said, i would research more on the camaro forums as each car is different
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

Don't waste money on a v6 camaro. You say its clean so sell it and get a ls1 car if u wanna go fast.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr