Post your speed in top gear at 3000 RPM

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Post your speed in top gear at 3000 RPM

Post by Shadow »

BTW, I see this place is still basically dead. What happened to everyone?
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

The old guard has been here for ten years, give or take, and are all moving on to other areas of life. And facebook groups have become the go-to over forums.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Hmm.....interesting perspective. The only forums I deal with on a regular basis are the Jeep and Audi forums and they are both ridiculously active to the point that it can be difficult to keep up.

I wonder if people in general are just moving away from manual transmissions. That's what the sales numbers suggest, but there should still be interest from people who love driving manual transmission cars.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Shadow wrote:Thought this might be an interesting topic. Next time you're doing some highway driving, bring your car up to 3000 RPM in its top gear and post the indicated speed that you're driving. I'll start:

Audi A5: 6th gear @ 3000 RPM = 91 MPH
Okay, so to update this thread, my old 2011 A5 did 91 MPH @ 3000 RPM in 6th gear. My 2016 A5, which is essentially the same exact car with slightly revised gearing, will pull an indicated 101 MPH @ 3000 in 6th gear. So an additional 10 MPH. Wow. It still cruises effortlessly on the highway in overdrive at typically legal highway speeds.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Shadow wrote:Well, it seems they have sorted out the transmission problems at this point and that was my only serious gripe, so I decided to get a second one. Besides, Toyota is still selling the same ancient 4Runner from the 2010 model year, complete with that ancient 5 speed automatic. If they had a new one out, I would've considered it, but they are really dragging their ass when it comes to the new model.
Also pretty ugly as well. I can't stand the looks of the Tacoma/4Runner.

Doesn't the new A5 have an updated engine as well?

I should also comment on the OP. My Speedo is ~5mph off (pos). So at 3k RPM the engine is hovering near 65 mph or so real mph (70 indicated).
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

bk7794 wrote:
Also pretty ugly as well. I can't stand the looks of the Tacoma/4Runner.

Doesn't the new A5 have an updated engine as well?

I should also comment on the OP. My Speedo is ~5mph off (pos). So at 3k RPM the engine is hovering near 65 mph or so real mph (70 indicated).
Yeah, I don't like the styling on the 4Runner at all. The older ones were so much nicer looking.

The 2018 A5 has a revised engine to go along with the revised styling. But I had to get another one before the new styling hit the streets because I like the way it looks so much better. That was really my reason for getting another one.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Shadow wrote: The 2018 A5 has a revised engine to go along with the revised styling. But I had to get another one before the new styling hit the streets because I like the way it looks so much better. That was really my reason for getting another one.
Ah, I wonder how similar it is to the GTI/GLI engine.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Shadow wrote:Yeah, I don't like the styling on the 4Runner at all. The older ones were so much nicer looking.
i like everything but that weird front end. seems toyota feels the need to make the front end look like an evil monster on most of their cars and trucks (tacoma might be an exception).
The 2018 A5 has a revised engine to go along with the revised styling. But I had to get another one before the new styling hit the streets because I like the way it looks so much better. That was really my reason for getting another one.
i find the exterior looks to be understated and in most ways only subtly different from the old a5 (same goes for a4). it's the interior that is way nicer. that dashboard i could stare at all day. :shock:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:
Shadow wrote: The 2018 A5 has a revised engine to go along with the revised styling. But I had to get another one before the new styling hit the streets because I like the way it looks so much better. That was really my reason for getting another one.
Ah, I wonder how similar it is to the GTI/GLI engine.
well, definitely not that same as the GLI engine (which is older and less powerful than newer GTI engine). The new Audi A4/A5 engine is rated as more powerful and torquey than the GTI engine. The A3 quattro's 2 litre is similar to (if not the same as) the GTI's, IIRC.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Shadow wrote:BTW, I see this place is still basically dead. What happened to everyone?
based on this week's activity, the SS may indeed be dead. rise and shine standardshift!! :o :shock: :cry:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote:The old guard has been here for ten years, give or take, and are all moving on to other areas of life. And facebook groups have become the go-to over forums.
are there standardshift fb forums?? eye miss myspace forums. :evil:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I've been peeking in, but there's nothing new to read.

WRT speed at 3000 rpm in top gear, would probably be illegal to find out.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

The 2001 S-10 2.2L I bought from ClutchDisk does not have a tachometer, but my calculator says I should be doing about 78 mph at 3000 rpm in top gear.

My calculator says that ClutchDisks 2005 Focus 2.0 should be doing about 74 mph at 3000 rpm in top gear (5th). Again, no tachometer. ClutchDisk would like a 6th gear and says with that he could get even better fuel mileage. He already squeezed 38 mpg out of it and expects he can get 40 in the summer.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm entirely too impatient to work that hard at achieving excellent mileage.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

tankinbeans wrote:I'm entirely too impatient to work that hard at achieving excellent mileage.
Ha ha, the S10 dropped 2 mpg when I got ahold of it with my lead foot! :lol:

But ClutchDisk is driving about 30,000 miles per year!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...