8-speed manual

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: 8-speed manual

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:There are times auto-up/auto-down is nice, particularly when you're dealing with some kind of guard shack or ticket booth, as it frees up both hands for steering and shifting while the window is still in transit so you don't have to wait or choose between steering and shifting. :)

....or braking, apparently!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

ashowofhands wrote:Why is this news? It's on a truck - trucks have been using 10+ speed transmissions for decades. Aside from the incredibly inefficient shifter, it's nothing out of the ordinary.
:o another fellow standardshifter here in Connecticut?
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

Awesome! Can't believe I missed this.

I agree with THC, I'm one of those guys that can appreciate this. It looks like its basically a 6-speed with a creeper gear, and an extra 2 gears off to the right. Probably sprung so neutral is on the same line as 3rd and 4th, and has a similar shift pattern to what we're all used to. I learned stick on a 4-speed, so driving a 6-speed to me is like driving a 4-speed with 2 extra gears to the right. This is just 2 more than that, with an extra creeper gear below reverse.

1st on my Sonic is too short. It'd be nice to have an even shorter creeper gear so 1st could actually be somewhat long. That, and closer ratios 1-4 or 1-5. Then 3-4 overdrive gears, with 8th basically putting you at like 600RPM @ 80 mph. Perfect :twisted:
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

They can go 8-speed, whatever they want, but I dream of the day I retire and can afford to drive an old car from the 60s with a 3 speed manual--column shift preferred.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 ford focus should 5s

Post by dakta1420 »

I also prefer crank windows and manual locks ect.... I do however like technology. going to school to be a technician I realize that a lot of technology we have has made my career field easier. now you can diagnose almost anything with a scan tool. I personally don't like carburetors for a dd. fuel injection is much more precise and more reliable.
I had a 4 sp manual Nissan sentra I hated not having a 5th gear that thing would rev like crazy going down the hwy.
I do prefer simple and old school in many ways though.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

dakta1420 wrote:I also prefer crank windows and manual locks ect.... I do however like technology. going to school to be a technician I realize that a lot of technology we have has made my career field easier. now you can diagnose almost anything with a scan tool. I personally don't like carburetors for a dd. fuel injection is much more precise and more reliable.
I had a 4 sp manual Nissan sentra I hated not having a 5th gear that thing would rev like crazy going down the hwy.
I do prefer simple and old school in many ways though.
Agree. Best of both worlds is an onboard computer with detailed and useful diagnostics. But keep the three dial HVAC as it is very easy to work and not take your eyes off the road. Ditch touch screens. Fuel injection is great too. My dream 3 speed is definitely a retirement vehicle as it is not the first choice for my current style of hurry here hurry there.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

InlinePaul wrote:Agree. Best of both worlds is an onboard computer with detailed and useful diagnostics. But keep the three dial HVAC as it is very easy to work and not take your eyes off the road. Ditch touch screens. Fuel injection is great too. My dream 3 speed is definitely a retirement vehicle as it is not the first choice for my current style of hurry here hurry there.
I would totally take auto-climate control over three dial. Quite a few vehicles also have steering wheel controls for temp changes, so you don't have to remove your eyes from the road. And it makes it so you don't have to keep adjusting the temperature on short drives as the car heats/cools/heats/cools/heats/cools/etc.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I've overridden automatic climate control in every vehicle that's had it. I don't like it.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Same. It is a rare condition that makes me want a regulated temperature. Usually I want extremes.

When I'm cold I don't want the car to be my preferred comfortable temperature. I want a blast furnace from a foundry piped directly to my face. Then after that I want to open the window.

When I'm hot I don't want the car to be my preferred comfortable temperature. I want liquid nitrogen sprayed directly onto my face. I rarely reach a point where I want to ease off the A/C.

When I'm anywhere closer to comfortable I want the window open and fresh air blasting me directly in the face.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

My climate control is set to 66 degrees year round. Sometimes I change it, but mostly I dont.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Don't want automatic climate control. Don't ever want the car second guessing me on anything!
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote: Image
When I'm hot I don't want the car to be my preferred comfortable temperature. I want liquid nitrogen sprayed directly onto my arm. I rarely reach a point where I want to ease off the A/C.

When I'm anywhere closer to comfortable I want the window open and fresh air blasting me directly in the face.
http://quantumfrontiers.com/2013/07/29/frozen-children/
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

:lol: :lol:

Well done, RP. Well done.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote::lol: :lol:

Well done, RP. Well done.
Thanks, but "No Thanks". I prefer Medium Rare.