2015 Honda Fit announced

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Re: 2015 Honda Fit announced

Post by bk7794 »

Boston Fit wrote:
rei wrote:the current gen fit could badly use a sixth gear
You hit the nail on the head. Mine used to do 4,000 rpm's in 5th gear at highway speeds.
How fast are you driving?? When I test drove the fit going 65mph was a tick under 3k if I remember correctly.
rei wrote:Currently the Canadian-market fits are made in China, so Mexico would be a step up. (there have been some rust problems with Chinese Fits)
Did not know this. Interesting. I know you can still get the Fit without A/C in Canada.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Boston Fit wrote:
rei wrote:the current gen fit could badly use a sixth gear
You hit the nail on the head. Mine used to do 4,000 rpm's in 5th gear at highway speeds.
Meh. What it needs is a highway gear, whether that gear is 5th or an added 6th. It seems common that going from a 5 speed to a 6 speed doesn't mean any increased total range of gear ratios, just the same range with closer ratios.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

bk7794 wrote:How fast are you driving??
Let's just say ... prudently fast :-)
2013 Honda Civic Si
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

If you give it a 6th gear it'll lose its ability to pass people without the need to downshift.

My car is geared on the shorter side. With 70mph being at around 3k. I can easily say that it's a comfortable ride.

But I do agree with thc. A lot of 6 speed transmissions still are around 3k in 6th gear.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

bk7794 wrote:If you give it a 6th gear it'll lose its ability to pass people without the need to downshift.
So? Whats wrong with that? In the 3.8L Wranglers, I never use 6th at all because it is essentially useless even at upper highway speeds. The beauty of a manual is choice. Dont like downshifting to pass? Stick with 5th.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

You can even advertise the vehicle as having brand-new sixth-gear synchros without the pesky need for a transmission rebuild.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

watkins wrote:
bk7794 wrote:If you give it a 6th gear it'll lose its ability to pass people without the need to downshift.
So? Whats wrong with that? In the 3.8L Wranglers, I never use 6th at all because it is essentially useless even at upper highway speeds. The beauty of a manual is choice. Dont like downshifting to pass? Stick with 5th.
Then why bother having it? But I do see where you're coming from.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

bk7794 wrote:
watkins wrote:
Then why bother having it? But I do see where you're coming from.
"Essentially useless" to him, driving impatiently in that hyper traffic on 45-55mph highways where he lives, might be a comfortable cruising gear for me to loaf along on the relatively empty 65mph highway near me. Like he said, if he doesn't like that gear he doesn't have to use it -- but on the other hand, if my high gear isn't high enough I can't not use it and just choose a higher gear.

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I love loafing on the motorway. Sometimes I will pass some purple people so I can loaf and not slam the brakes when they see a bug, or a rain drop.

Cow, will you do a six speed tranny swap in Clifford. He'll be your best friend. :)
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:Sometimes I will pass some purple people so I can loaf and not slam the brakes when they see a bug, or a rain drop.
:lol: Word.
Cow, will you do a six speed tranny swap in Clifford. He'll be your best friend. :)
Should be a piece of cake. Is there a six speed known to fit, with the gears you want?

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:"Essentially useless" to him, driving impatiently in that hyper traffic on 45-55mph highways where he lives, might be a comfortable cruising gear for me to loaf along on the relatively empty 65mph highway near me. Like he said, if he doesn't like that gear he doesn't have to use it -- but on the other hand, if my high gear isn't high enough I can't not use it and just choose a higher gear.
No, I mean useless on real highways going real speeds. Even at 75mph 6th gear is just too weak to keep up with traffic without using a heavy foot. Want to pass? Nope. F*ck you. You need to be in 4th. Slight hill? Better have a contingency plan for when you start rolling backwards.

You may think Im exaggerating. Go out and test drive one.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Sometimes I will pass some purple people so I can loaf and not slam the brakes when they see a bug, or a rain drop.
:lol: Word.
Should be a piece of cake. Is there a six speed known to fit, with the gears you want?
I think the Focus ST transmission would fit as I think the two engines are closely related. That's likely to have better gearing. I'm not sure if Clifford makes enough power to operate effectively with the transmission though. Should hook up a Vulva T5; there's plenty of room under the hood.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
rei
Junior Standardshifter

Post by rei »

I've found that if theyre goign slow enough that I need to pass them and am already at their speed (merging etc), I'll still need to go down to 4th if I want to pass them with any kind of urgency.

I'm usually mid-3000s RPM wise in 5th on the highway (between 100kph and 120)
2013 Fit Sport 5MT. Nothing looks funnier than a sticker advertising SOHC
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

I've been lurking until someone complained about having 6 cogs. Oh no he did-n't!

What's wrong with needing to downshift to pass people? We drive manuals, not autos.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

DKaz wrote:I've been lurking until someone complained about having 6 cogs. Oh no he did-n't!

What's wrong with needing to downshift to pass people? We drive manuals, not autos.
Apparently some people don't enjoy shifting but inexplicably drive manual transmissions anyway.

I don't think bk really feels that way though, I suspect he was just talking about the complaints that are likely to be heard.