The VW GTD, Coming to the US in 2016?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: The VW GTD, Coming to the US in 2016?

Post by Rope-Pusher »

[quote="potownrob" do find it odd they used a brand new hybrid (under 300 miles when I picked it up) as a loaner.[/quote]

= they aren't selling well.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
potownrob wrote: do find it odd they used a brand new hybrid (under 300 miles when I picked it up) as a loaner.
= they aren't selling well.
maybe the underwhelming gas mileage and mediocre performance might explain the low sales numbers. the car was a little fancier than my jetta (it had kessy, nice rims, lumbar support and a nicer stereo), but i was otherwise happy to get my car back.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Saabstory02
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 VW .:R32

Post by Saabstory02 »

The Jetta Hybrid really isn't that bad, not sure why your results were so low but they seem average about 40mpg overall so far on Fuelly

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta/2013
2012 Golf TDI - 6M, 4 Dr
| Chrome GTI Switches | Stainless Sport pedals | Golf R Steering Wheel, Shift Knob/boot & E-Brake | Moda MD6 wheels |
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

From Autoweek:
Abt Sportsline debuts 300-hp Volkswagen Golf GTI Dark
Sinister-looking hot hatch packs a serious punch

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013120 ... z2mwCo2w6i

I was expecting 300 horsepressures to get to 60 a little quicker than that.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Saabstory02 wrote:The Jetta Hybrid really isn't that bad, not sure why your results were so low but they seem average about 40mpg overall so far on Fuelly

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta/2013
mine only had ~2-300 miles on it when i was driving it, so maybe it just needed to get broken in(to) :idea: :twisted: 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Rope-Pusher wrote:I was expecting 300 horsepressures to get to 60 a little quicker than that.
That seems about right for a front wheel drive car tho.

My car with stage 1 tune is around 310 hp and weighs a few hundred lbs more than that new GTI but mine has AWD. Mine will probably get to 60 in the low 5's, traction is everything in 0-60.

I bet if my car and that new GTI race from 5 mph to 60, he would beat me because of the lower weight.

As for the original topic, the GTD would be a great car for someone who wants a fun to drive car but also wants good mileage which is pretty much everyone. :D
2012 VW Golf R
Saabstory02
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 VW .:R32

Post by Saabstory02 »

Rope-Pusher wrote: I was expecting 300 horsepressures to get to 60 a little quicker than that.
It should have; whoever drove it for that test doesn't know what they are doing. :lol: Or maybe it just couldn't get traction due to all seasons or something, I dunno.

The stock MK6 GTI (200 HP) has already been tested at 5.8 seconds 0-60 by Motor Trend, and 6.1 by Car and Driver. Numerous other tests put it in the 6.1-6.2 second range as well. With an added 100HP it should definitely have been faster.
2012 Golf TDI - 6M, 4 Dr
| Chrome GTI Switches | Stainless Sport pedals | Golf R Steering Wheel, Shift Knob/boot & E-Brake | Moda MD6 wheels |
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

Saabstory02 wrote: With an added 100HP it should definitely have been faster.
The 100+ torques definitely makes it a bit more difficult with FWD. My Stage 2 GTI makes ~275HP/300TQ and going WOT in 1st/2nd is worthless, lots of throttle modulation is needed to get the car to go anywhere. I'm hoping those guys aren't running the stock all-seasons on that GTI :lol:.

Sometimes I wish I had gone the Golf R route but it was a bit out of my price range at the time.
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

From the Horse's Mouth on Autoline Live:

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?cat=1513

UP FOR DISCUSSION:
- GM CEO Mary Barra Returns to the Hill.
- J.D. Power, AutoPacific and Edmunds are out with their latest ratings. Who's tops?
- NADA defends the dealer franchise system.

SPECIAL GUEST: Oliver Schmidt, General Manager, Engineering & Environmental Office, Powertrain & Fuel Strategy, VWoA

The put the special guest on first this time, and he was great. Then, when they went to discussing other current topics, he decided to stay and make some good points, although he limited his criticism of other automakers.