I'm considering doing a transmission rebuild, any thoughts?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

I'm considering doing a transmission rebuild, any thoughts?

Post by bk7794 »

So as you probably have read around (or maybe you haven't) I have been having some slight transmission issues. They really aren't all that critical and I can live with them, but since the car is in pretty decent shape I feel this might be a fun project.

Here were my thoughts...
- I was considering purchasing a used Manual Transmission for cheap
- I really would like to do all Genuine parts so genuine bearings, syncros and whichever gears I need to replace

So I was wondering..How realistic do you believe doing this is? Do you think it'd be better to just deal with the problems?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: I'm considering doing a transmission rebuild, any though

Post by watkins »

Honda manual transmissions are about as easy to work on as it gets, If memory serves me right.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Edit the dialogue in the first panel to "Why can't we buy a reman? We must be the only family in the world that still rebuilds their own transmissions. I'm greasy!", and the other two panels can remain just as they are.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Image

Edit the dialogue in the first panel to "Why can't we buy a reman? We must be the only family in the world that still rebuilds their own transmissions. I'm greasy!", and the other two panels can remain just as they are.
:lol: 8)

edit: OP (BK), sounds like a cool idea; what's the real issue though?? my 94 civic and 96 accord were closing in on 200k miles before i got rid of them, with original trannies, suspension etc.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:

:lol: 8)

edit: OP (BK), sounds like a cool idea; what's the real issue though?? my 94 civic and 96 accord were closing in on 200k miles before i got rid of them, with original trannies, suspension etc.
The previous owner. Every now and then reverse never engages and shifting through gears feels like shifting through a pile of gravel.

It builds character. lol.

I might try another MTF fluid swap. Maybe to Amsoil or Redline.
watkins wrote:Honda manual transmissions are about as easy to work on as it gets, If memory serves me right.
I found a relatively straight forward DIY I think everyone might find it neat to look at.

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it ... 9pics.html
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:
potownrob wrote:OP (BK), sounds like a cool idea; what's the real issue though?? my 94 civic and 96 accord were closing in on 200k miles before i got rid of them, with original trannies, suspension etc.
The previous owner. Every now and then reverse never engages and shifting through gears feels like shifting through a pile of gravel.
it won't go into reverse even after shifting into a forward gear first?? i almost always had to shift into another gear before moving the stick into reverse on my civic; quickly became habit and carried over to the maxima, accord and impreza all which didn't even have that problem. also had trouble shifting into 1st to launch and sometimes shifting into 2nd; learned to shift into 2nd before 1st on the civic, and the habit continued on all subsequent manuals...
I might try another MTF fluid swap. Maybe to Amsoil or Redline.
yeah, old or bad gear oil (i think that trans takes 10w30 or similar - honda MTF is motor oil with additives and the older civics called for straight up 10w30, IIRC) might be causing your rock garden shifting problem. is this just happening in the colder months or year-round?? maybe a synthetic or synthetic blend oil would help. either way, i'd check the honda forums to make sure whatever oil you get is known to work well in your tranny. :) :mrgreen:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.