Ford 1.0 Ecoboost

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
MisterTwo
Junior Standardshifter

Re: Ford 1.0 Ecoboost

Post by MisterTwo »

I've had a couple of turbo's and no issues. There are a few things to think about though:

1) Turbo engines generally need more frequent oil changes. Especially true on the Subies, because if your oils starts to sludge up it will block the filters in the turbo oil supply lines' banjo fittings.
2) Shutting your engine off immediately after a hard run can cause heat to build up in the turbo, which can shorten its life, so they say. In reality that seems to no longer be a real problem, but it certainly was on the early Chryco attempts.
3) Turbo failure at high speed can shatter the internals, casting bits o' metal into your intakes, trashing your engine. Hence the cost of turbo failure can be much higher than the parts cost alone. That being said, an astute ear can almost always detect the change of pitch associated with impending doom.
4) You always pay to play.

Bottom line, though, I really wouldn't be without one!
'05 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon 5MT
'91 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT
'66 Chrysler New Yorker 3AT
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Turbos are here to stay, they're not going anywhere. I don't get all these reliablity concerns, Turbos might eventually wear out or fail just like any other part on a naturally aspirated engine.

The only downsides to a turbo engine is the throttle response and turbo lag. Modern cars are getting better and better in dealing with this. I suppose the other downside is the exhaust note but I suspect this has more to do with engine downsizing than it does with the actual turbo being in the exhaust flow path.
2012 VW Golf R
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

theholycow wrote:
six wrote::(

I guess I come from a different mindset. I don't look at cars that way, thinking about years, possibly a decade, into the future of potential maintenance costs.
You currently drive a car that's 11 years old. Unless you're planning to replace it soon, you might want to give a little more credence to that issue.
I know :(
But I knew that going in, since I only bought the car a few years ago. What I didn't do is get this car over another car because this one seemed to be cheaper to maintain or vise versa. Maintenance is a necessity, but its potential costs and other related maintenance issues are very low on my list of selection/comparison criteria.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Chrysler was prolly the first OEM to use water-cooled turbots.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Manual Makes Sense for 1.0L Focus, Ford Says

I guess that means someone actually proof-read the thing.

http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-technolog ... -ford-says
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

My read, based on what I've listened to in the past, is that a manual is very necessary to squeeze as much power out of a relatively underpowered engine. The Focus is already pretty heavy and motivating it with 123hp could prove challenging with an automatic (at least by American standards.) I personally never feel a lack of power out of the NA 2.0, but not sure about the 1.0EB.

Would the difference be in that overboost feature? I wonder if it would be worth test driving when the time comes to shit or get off the pot as it relates to my car. The mileage is already good in mine.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I'm stinkin' that if there are issues with the acceptance of the dual-clutch transmission, they would be exacerbated with a 1-Liter 3-cylinder.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I have slightly over 180,400 miles on my car. Original turbo. No shaft play. No problems. Turbos are far more reliable as a technology than a lot of the electronic variable valve timing stuff that exists now.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

All work and no shaft play makes Tony very, very.... something.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

AHTOXA wrote:All work and no shaft play makes Tony very, very.... something.
Wash your hands!
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Ford's 3-cylinder EcoBoost engine off to fast start

In just a few short months, Ford Motor Co.’s 1-liter, three-cylinder EcoBoost engine is beating the automaker’s initial U.S. expectations despite limited offering.

The tiny turbo engine — the first of many three-cylinders that automakers will offer in the U.S. market — is seen by many as a litmus test for future small gasoline engines.

The percentage of Fiesta car buyers who choose the optional 1-liter is 4-8 percent, depending on the month. The 1-liter EcoBoost has only been available since late December, and is an option only with the Fiesta’s SE trim. The engine is currently paired with a manual transmission; stick shifts make up only a small percentage of new car sales here in the U.S.

“It’s always odd with the consumer reception and three-cylinders. But today’s three-cylinder is not your dad’s three-cylinder,” said Jesse Toprak, chief analyst at Cars.com, singling out the dog of an engine in the Geo Metro in the 1990s. “These have new technologies and you can actually get decent performance. There are massive improvements.”

Troy-based market researcher LMC Automotive estimates global three-cylinder engine production will nearly double from the current pace to 9.8 million.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... z31GWZUfiY
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

This is my preferred three cylinder engine.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Ford's 3-cylinder EcoBoost engin....

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... z31GWZUfiY

Yeah I went to a Ford dealer and they actually sold all their 3 cylinder engines. I definitely have interest in driving one.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote:I have slightly over 180,400 miles on my car. Original turbo. No shaft play. No problems. Turbos are far more reliable as a technology than a lot of the electronic variable valve timing stuff that exists now.
Not for the sake of arguing, but I have never heard of VVT failures.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Cam phasers on the 3.6L Pentastar crap out semi-regularly. Not a big deal as its just a three-screw actuator on the front of the valve cover, but it does present an issue.