Column Shift Engineered for special model

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Column Shift Engineered for special model

Post by Rope-Pusher »

"It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks."

Well,....not quite:

Dodge unveils 2015 Charger Pursuit

Column shifter allows more room in center console for communications equipment.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/do ... er-pursuit
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Column Shift Engineered for special model

Post by watkins »

The column shifters in cop Chargers are awful. Always at a weird angle and poorly located. Not at all easy or comfortable to use. I hope they finally get it right.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:The column shifters in cop Chargers are awful. Always at a weird angle and poorly located. Not at all easy or comfortable to use. I hope they finally get it right.
How hard can it be? At the beginning of your shift, you pull it down into Drive and at the end of the shift, you push it back up into Park.

I'll ask if it was changed for 2015.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Sometimes more shifting is required, you know. And the steering wheel gets in the way. But then again, so do long gun mounts between the front seat backs. Ive torn my elbow apart more than once trying to turn in the seat to look behind me as I back up. Law enforcement Chargers are a study in shoving as much tactical equipment with sharp edges as possible into the front half of a car.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:Sometimes more shifting is required, you know. And the steering wheel gets in the way. But then again, so do long gun mounts between the front seat backs. Ive torn my elbow apart more than once trying to turn in the seat to look behind me as I back up. Law enforcement Chargers are a study in shoving as much tactical equipment with sharp edges as possible into the front half of a car.

The Green Hornet had the right idea - mount the weapons outside of the passenger compartment.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

watkins wrote:Sometimes more shifting is required, you know. And the steering wheel gets in the way. But then again, so do long gun mounts between the front seat backs. Ive torn my elbow apart more than once trying to turn in the seat to look behind me as I back up. Law enforcement Chargers are a study in shoving as much tactical equipment with sharp edges as possible into the front half of a car.
I'm sorry, I think I've missed the post that mentioned that you are a police officer? :shock:
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

six wrote:
I'm sorry, I think I've missed the post that mentioned that you are a police officer? :shock:
If he had experience in zero-G, would you ask "Are you a specimen?"
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Haha, spaceman :)

I realized my mistake a bit after I posted :oops:
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:The column shifters in cop Chargers are awful. Always at a weird angle and poorly located. Not at all easy or comfortable to use. I hope they finally get it right.
So, 2015 is sposta be an improvement of sorts over previous instrument panel mounted cop car shifters. (since 2011, cop cars went from true column shift to I/P mounted shifters)
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Im sure I'll start seeing them soon enough