Best learner MT

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Re: Best learner MT

Post by daleadbull »

theholycow wrote:Feels like it's not hooked up to anything. Completely numb.

Resistance is like the spring from a retractable pen, like a stiff breeze could press it to the floor.

Engagement/friction isn't a zone, it's a point; it's an on-off switch, but it's located somewhere near the top of the range (but not all the way at the top).

Someone who is learning will slowly bring the pedal up, nothing happens. They slowly bring it up more, still nothing happens. They slowly bring it up more if they still have any patience, still nothing happens. They're almost at the top and they bring it up another millimeter and suddenly the car has stalled. Next time they try to remember where it was but there's no reference, there's no changes in pressure, no feedback, nothing.
That's a little harsh. Its not that bad. Maybe it was your car or maybe things have gotten better. The clutch pedal is light which is actually a positive in most people's eyes but I do agree that the engagement zone can be a little vague. Its also not the most connected, mechanical feeling clutch pedal or shifter but that is depending on people's preferences.
2012 VW Golf R
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Could be things have improved, but in 2008 there were a few other folks here with the same car who agreed.

I suspect that part of the problem was, and I'm just guessing here, that they used the same clutch for every engine/transmission and it was probably better-matched to other configurations.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

theholycow wrote:Could be things have improved, but in 2008 there were a few other folks here with the same car who agreed.

I suspect that part of the problem was, and I'm just guessing here, that they used the same clutch for every engine/transmission and it was probably better-matched to other configurations.
Cow, the VW that you and I owned was far and away the worst-feeling clutch ever.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I can attest to that. It was and still is my least favorite clutch to use.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

I agree, just get a car that will be cheap to maintain and has a nice feeling clutch.. I would say one that isn't too stiff and not too soft. Something in between is better. Remember if you are going to be teaching people how to drive a manual, the no gas launch is your best friend!
standardshift.com FAQ wrote:The method that has been most successful here at Standardshift has been the no-gas method. Not using the gas pedal at all while engaging the clutch in first gear seems to help people clue in more quickly to the friction point of the clutch, the all important point in which most of the engine power goes from idling freely to transferring through the transmission and then to the wheels. This varies from car to car. The friction point can be felt with the car starts moving, and engine RPMs drop usually along with the noise of the engine. This is also the point that many beginners let the clutch out too quickly, resulting in the engine lugging and the car bucking. Don't worry, at such a slow speed, no serious damage will occur to the car, just a nick to your pride.

Congratulations! You just did the toughest part of driving a manual, starting from a standing stop!

Practice this a few times until you can smoothly get the car moving without the car lugging and without touching the gas pedal.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchDisc wrote:I agree, just get a car that will be cheap to maintain and has a nice feeling clutch.. I would say one that isn't too stiff and not too soft. Something in between is better. Remember if you are going to be teaching people how to drive a manual, the no gas launch is your best friend!
standardshift.com FAQ wrote:The method that has been most successful here at Standardshift has been the no-gas method. Not using the gas pedal at all while engaging the clutch in first gear seems to help people clue in more quickly to the friction point of the clutch, the all important point in which most of the engine power goes from idling freely to transferring through the transmission and then to the wheels. This varies from car to car. The friction point can be felt with the car starts moving, and engine RPMs drop usually along with the noise of the engine. This is also the point that many beginners let the clutch out too quickly, resulting in the engine lugging and the car bucking. Don't worry, at such a slow speed, no serious damage will occur to the car, just a nick to your pride.

Congratulations! You just did the toughest part of driving a manual, starting from a standing stop!

Practice this a few times until you can smoothly get the car moving without the car lugging and without touching the gas pedal.
^THIS!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"