No more stick-shift Acuras

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

No more stick-shift Acuras

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: No more stick-shift Acuras

Post by tankinbeans »

That button transmission thingy on the console is a bit garrish.

I'm happy to know how to drive a stick, and would buy one again. However, I won't apologize for refusing to allow the lack of a certain transmission to hinder my purchase of a new car. It it ticks the rest of my boxes, but ends up being an auto (NOT a CVT) it's going to be a go.

I guess I'm not as hard core a stick-enthusiast as some, but the skills are still useful since there will always be somebody who has one and the possibility that they won't be able to get somewhere due to illness.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans wrote:That button transmission thingy on the console is a bit garrish.
I think we'll see more and more pushbutton gear selections in the future. Or dials even. Either way, gear selection on automatics is starting to become pretty much just an electrical switch.....my new Grand Cherokee has what looks like a conventional shift lever at first glance, but it's just a fancy switch in reality.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I'm shocked they didn't keep the 6 speed in the ILX. I suppose it makes it cheaper for manufacturing purposes. I really did not understand why they just offered the 2.4 exclusive to the 6 speed in the first generation. I feel like that was a big mistake.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Even if it's just an electrical switch no different than the knob, for safety's sake it is better to stay with the familiar, standardized interface of a lever that people can operate in an emergency without thinking too much. Did we learn nothing during the unintended acceleration fiasco?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:I'm shocked they didn't keep the 6 speed in the ILX. I suppose it makes it cheaper for manufacturing purposes. I really did not understand why they just offered the 2.4 exclusive to the 6 speed in the first generation. I feel like that was a big mistake.
don't forget the ILX has been competing with Honda's own Si, albeit not on a totally level playing field.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

The beauty of the ILX 6 speed was to get the upscale looks and such without looking like a kid. Must admit the Civic SI looks quite goofy now with those wheels.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

but doesn't the Si have das LSD while the ILX doesn't?!?! :D :mrgreen: :shock:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:but doesn't the Si have das LSD while the ILX doesn't?!?! :D :mrgreen: :shock:
Correct. The LSD would be useful I suppose in daily driving, but I guess they figure that its heavily utilized on the track, which they expect a majority of ILX owners not to do.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

Sad. Prior to the ILX, Canada had the EL from 1996 to 2005, then the CSX from 2006 til 2011. All sold very well with a good manual take rate upwards of 20%. Then the ILX came along which was no longer Canadian exclusive. For some reason sales started tanking midway through the CSX's generation. The Mazda 3 started eating away at the CSX as being affordable luxury, despite the smiley face front end that supposedly didn't win many fans. But the CSX was still a fun car especially with the high revving high output 2.0L engine in the Type S.

The ILX just brought it too mainstream, maybe to suit American tastes too. And now it's the last car auto enthusiasts think about.

RIP Acura stick shifts
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

tankinbeans wrote:
I guess I'm not as hard core a stick-enthusiast as some, but the skills are still useful since there will always be somebody who has one and the possibility that they won't be able to get somewhere due to illness or inebriation.
Tonight was just such a night where the owner of a manual was inebriated and I took his keys to drive home. Had I not been able to drive his car we would have been stuck there, or worse he could have tried to drive us home. I wasn't fittin' to get in a car with somebody whose sheets were running to the wind, and I'm glad I acquired the skill to drive these cars home.

Would buy another manual were the price right and if it had power windows.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:if it had power windows.
Might as well say "if it had a radio". You'd be hard pressed to find a modern car without power windows, though they do exist.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
Might as well say "if it had a radio". You'd be hard pressed to find a modern car without power windows, though they do exist.
Did you read how the power windows are actuated in the "First Mustang" replicas? What looks like an "Armstrong" window regulator handle activates the power window switch - SUITE!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
theholycow wrote:
Did you read how the power windows are actuated in the "First Mustang" replicas? What looks like an "Armstrong" window regulator handle activates the power window switch - SUITE!
I thought those windows were a pretty neat feature of the replicas from that link you posted, RP. A nice touch but kept the newer technology.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

tankinbeans wrote:Would buy another manual were the price right and if it had power windows.
Roll up windows are pretty much almost extinct. Not a single compact car has roll up windows anymore. Even in the subcompact class, the last subcompact to have rollup windows -- the Toyota Yaris -- has standard power windows now. It's just the microcompacts that still have roll up windows in the base trims, as well as the Jeep Wrangler.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage