2015 Mustang v 2015 Subaru WRX

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!

Which do I get based MAINLY on more driving pleasure?

2015 Mustang V6 Stick Shift
17%
2015 Mustang 4Cyl Turbo Stick Shift(?)
42%
2015 Subaru WRX Stick Shift
42%

Total votes: 12

theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: 2015 Mustang v 2015 Subaru WRX

Post by theholycow »

ManualShifterMz3s wrote:Subaru is a pain in the neck trying to convince them for me to test drive the wrx in stick.... they want me to test drive the auto..... how stupid is that? They're pissing me off....
That would be a non-starter for me. I must test-drive the configuration I intend to buy, if not the actual car.

Either way, on paper I'd go with the Mustang. RWD > all other specifications.

Either way you're leaving something on the table -- the V8 in the Mustang or the STi in the Subaru. If we're going to worry about that sort of thing we might as well see what you leave on the table if you choose one car over the other...

2015 Mustang V6: 3526 lbs, 300HP, 280ft-lb; 11.75lbs/HP, 12.59lbs/ft-lb
2015 Mustang I4 turbo: 3524 lbs, 310HP, 320ft-lb; 11.36lbs/HP, 11.01lbs/ft-lb
2015 WRX: 3267 lbs, 268HP, 258ft-lb; 12.19lbs/HP, 12.66lbs/ft-lb

So, if worrying about what power or what power:weight ratio you leave on the table is a concern, then the Mustang beats the WRX by a clear margin. Of course then we get into other specifications...skidpad numbers anyone?

However, to be honest, one could easily win me over the other even in spite of any superior specifications with something as minor as armrest position, a common issue for me. If I'm going to sit in a vehicle and drive it, my comfort is paramount; it has to fit like a glove, or at least like a mitten. If it fits like OJ Simpson's glove then I'm out. I can't concentrate on driving to the max if the car is digging into my side or my elbow is floating in mid-air.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I'm going to be honest here.

I simply refuse to own a 4 or 6 cylinder pony car like the mustang. I fully get that new V6s in those cars produce the power of the V8s just a gen or two ago, but I still cannot allow it for myself. Pony car with a V6 is so ill-fitting, in my mind, that I would never be able to like the car, simply because of my deeply-rooted bias against the smaller engines in it.

So that's what it really boils down to. WRX vs STI is different to me. It doesn't carry nearly the same bias.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

^^ THIS. I CONCUR 100%.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:However, to be honest, one could easily win me over the other even in spite of any superior specifications with something as minor as armrest position, a common issue for me. If I'm going to sit in a vehicle and drive it, my comfort is paramount; it has to fit like a glove, or at least like a mitten. If it fits like OJ Simpson's glove then I'm out. I can't concentrate on driving to the max if the car is digging into my side or my elbow is floating in mid-air.
You know OJ spread his fingers so the glove wouldn't go on, right?

Did you ever hear about the man with five (5) penises?

His condoms "Fit Like a Glove"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:You know OJ spread his fingers so the glove wouldn't go on, right?
Those were fancy leather gloves, right? Wouldn't they shrink after being soaked in blood?

ManualShifterMz3s
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ManualShifterMz3s »

theholycow wrote:
ManualShifterMz3s wrote:Subaru is a pain in the neck trying to convince them for me to test drive the wrx in stick.... they want me to test drive the auto..... how stupid is that? They're pissing me off....
That would be a non-starter for me. I must test-drive the configuration I intend to buy, if not the actual car.

Either way, on paper I'd go with the Mustang. RWD > all other specifications.

Either way you're leaving something on the table -- the V8 in the Mustang or the STi in the Subaru. If we're going to worry about that sort of thing we might as well see what you leave on the table if you choose one car over the other...

2015 Mustang V6: 3526 lbs, 300HP, 280ft-lb; 11.75lbs/HP, 12.59lbs/ft-lb
2015 Mustang I4 turbo: 3524 lbs, 310HP, 320ft-lb; 11.36lbs/HP, 11.01lbs/ft-lb
2015 WRX: 3267 lbs, 268HP, 258ft-lb; 12.19lbs/HP, 12.66lbs/ft-lb

So, if worrying about what power or what power:weight ratio you leave on the table is a concern, then the Mustang beats the WRX by a clear margin. Of course then we get into other specifications...skidpad numbers anyone?

However, to be honest, one could easily win me over the other even in spite of any superior specifications with something as minor as armrest position, a common issue for me. If I'm going to sit in a vehicle and drive it, my comfort is paramount; it has to fit like a glove, or at least like a mitten. If it fits like OJ Simpson's glove then I'm out. I can't concentrate on driving to the max if the car is digging into my side or my elbow is floating in mid-air.
Extremely great points on the power to weight ratio (something I'm cognizant about) and the ergonomics.

I think the one thing you not not make a point of was the Subie AWD..... which is a big deal.
Last edited by ManualShifterMz3s on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Ford Mustang, Eco-Boost, Turbo 4, 6 speed Grabber Blue
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4, Red < wife's ride
2004 Mazda 3, 2.3s, stick, Solar Yellow
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I'm a fan of hatchbacks and smaller vehicles in general over muscle cars because you really can't use the muscle part all that much as part of your daily driving. You can use good grip and AWD in daily driving (especially in "we close the city for snow" NYC <- couldn't resist :lol: ).

If you are going to look a bit like a doo-schnozzle with either car, might as well pick the one you can have a bit more fun in with daily driving. At least that would be my logic.

Also, regarding the dealership trying to make you test drive an automatic. Tell them hell no. You want to test drive the vehicle you might buy. The automatic is not the same as the manual. If your sales guy keeps trying to do that, go above his head to a manager and say something along the lines of, "you will lose this sale by not letting me look at the car I want." And then follow up on that threat if they keep trying. And then bad mouth the dealership to everyone you know - bad advertising is the worst possible thing for a sales person and the dealership.

Obviously, if they don't have the car on the lot, just tell them you'll wait until they do - unless they can special order it/ship it in from a different dealership. In that case, things get sligthly more complicated - but you are still in control as the customer.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ManualShifterMz3s
Junior Standardshifter

AHTOXA wrote:I'm going to be honest here.

I simply refuse to own a 4 or 6 cylinder pony car like the mustang. I fully get that new V6s in those cars produce the power of the V8s just a gen or two ago, but I still cannot allow it for myself. Pony car with a V6 is so ill-fitting, in my mind, that I would never be able to like the car, simply because of my deeply-rooted bias against the smaller engines in it.

So that's what it really boils down to. WRX vs STI is different to me. It doesn't carry nearly the same bias.
As a true automobile aficionado, I can certainly understand the bias you have FOR the V8 in a mustang vs the V6 or 4cyl for that matter....regardless of the power the V6 of today which makes the power of the V8 of old.

Nevertheless, since I've never been a mustang purist, I simply like the mustang, I see the V6 and 300 hp as an upgrade from my Mazda 3 which has a 4cyl and 160 hp. It's that simple, really.

Jumping to the V8 would be 2 steps "upwards" which wasn't in the plan, but now, that everyone is taking about the V8 instead of the V6..... I'm starting to reconsider my options.

This doesn't get any easier...... lol.
ManualShifterMz3s
Junior Standardshifter

Squint wrote:I'm a fan of hatchbacks and smaller vehicles in general over muscle cars because you really can't use the muscle part all that much as part of your daily driving. You can use good grip and AWD in daily driving (especially in "we close the city for snow" NYC <- couldn't resist :lol: ).
Fair enough, but NYC rarely closes for snow...... unless it's a blizzard.
If you are going to look a bit like a doo-schnozzle with either car, might as well pick the one you can have a bit more fun in with daily driving. At least that would be my logic.
That IS definitely a big part of my decision. A mustang which I can have fun mostly on the weekends or the subie all day, every day?
Also, regarding the dealership trying to make you test drive an automatic. Tell them hell no. You want to test drive the vehicle you might buy. The automatic is not the same as the manual. If your sales guy keeps trying to do that, go above his head to a manager and say something along the lines of, "you will lose this sale by not letting me look at the car I want." And then follow up on that threat if they keep trying. And then bad mouth the dealership to everyone you know - bad advertising is the worst possible thing for a sales person and the dealership.

Obviously, if they don't have the car on the lot, just tell them you'll wait until they do - unless they can special order it/ship it in from a different dealership. In that case, things get sligthly more complicated - but you are still in control as the customer.
Yes, I will take this into consideration. Thanks for your input.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

ManualShifterMz3s wrote:Yes, I will take this into consideration. Thanks for your input.
I used to work at a dealership on the sales/finance side of things, feel free to ask me (or the collective here) any questions on that side of things too.

But I totally voted for the Subie. :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

ManualShifterMz3s wrote:I think the one thing you not not make a point of was the Subie AWD..... which is a big deal.
I am cognizant of it, but it doesn't attract me any more than FWD. I love RWD. There's nothing like goosing the go-pedal and getting sideways. There's nothing like being required to finesse the go-pedal and carry momentum into an uphill curve to avoid putting it in a ditch. These are things that I like. FWD and AWD take them away. I enjoy my 125hp RWD boat every day all winter once snow arrives, it's the only thing I like about winter weather. (Also on dirty sandy roads.)

FWD and AWD are absolutely practical. AWD can produce real handling advantages, and of course all that launch traction, and resistance to getting stuck in snow. FWD is the most fuel efficient (not to mention the cheapest to buy, and cheaper than AWD to maintain/repair).

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ManualShifterMz3s wrote: I live in the metro NYC. Well, I wanna keep the trck for space and a 2nd occasional driver. I dont think I would buy the foresters, legacies or outbacks in manual tho.

The stang does have a presence, heritage, inexpensive price tag (base) and all that other godd stuff.... this will be a tough decision. :( :( :(
in the past, i would've made a comment about how it doesn't really snow in NYC, but this winter (and the last??) have changed the game. please allow me to elaborate on some of my experiences with cars and winter.

some people will try to tell you AWD doesn't help much, it's all about the tires, etc., but this winter with the cr-v has taught me otherwise. though the car would work better with snow tires, it has handled very well overall with all seasons. i am the only one who has been able to get up and drive around my driveway over the past month without getting stuck. mom's car has been parked at the top most of the winter; eating man's car is permanently on the road. the AWD and higher ground clearance of my car are killer in the winter. i still can lose grip around turns and have trouble with ice and especially going downhill on ice if i'm not careful, but overall the car is better than any FWD car i've had. only thing that can really stop me with my all seasons is ice. ice is not nice. if we didn't get any ice, i'd have no problem keeping my current setup of year-round all season tires, but this winter has me thinking.

i have the winter wheels and tires from the old jetta in the garage; too bad they don't fit on the cr-v (i don't think the tires are even the right size, if i switched to a set of 16" wheels, plus they've been through 2 winters and were already showing signs of old age). they weren't the highest rated snow tires, especially for ice, but they handled the little ice we had much better than any other tire i've driven on ice on. most people around here don't seem to understand or know about winter tires. they just talk about getting an suv next year. i understand about winter tires from having them on the jetta, but was also willing to take a chance rocking the all seasons for a while. i was also sick of changing out the wheels and tires every 6 months. Whole wheel and tire sets also cost a decent amount of money. i read good reviews about snow performance with my all season tires (dunlop signature II). i knew they couldn't be good on ice, but i also didn't really expect to deal with much ice. long story not any longer, i think the ideal winter setup for these new ice age winters is going to be AWD vehicle with decent ground clearance and snow tires.

P.S. I did vote for the V6 Mustang vs. the others, based on your main criteria of driving pleasure. I am also keeping in mind the NYC driving climate (not so much weather related but the nature of driving in and around NYC - the potholes and road imperfections, the traffic) when I think the V6 Mustang is a solid bet overall. Though I am not familiar with the power delivery characteristics of the engines, the sound of the V6 should be more pleasing than the turbo 4 (at least based on other V6 vs turbo 4 comparisons), though I don't think I've heard either engine (older mustang V-sixes aside). If this is going to be your main car, I would highly consider getting winter tires for the ice and snow.

Mustang V6 review (w/ engine sounds):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN6VsV8cCgY

Edit (again): Saw a vid of the ecoboost w/ chewbacca engine sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjIV-nup87c

now i'm not sure which one to recommend (other than the ecoboost having more features etc.) :shock:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ManualShifterMz3s wrote:
I test drove the prior model stang.... oh man..... it's sweet.

Subaru is a pain in the neck trying to convince them for me to test drive the wrx in stick.... they want me to test drive the auto..... how stupid is that? They're pissing me off....

I don't think I would venture to mod any of these cars (for now).
epic fail!! either go to another dealer or get the mustang instead :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote:talking about AWD and FWD with snow tires
I've driven FWD with snow tires through, what, two winters I believe? I've driven a 4x4 with siped and unsiped mud tires (mud tires often carry a snow tire designation on the sidewalls) and I've driven a RWF with summer performance tires in the snow - twice.

Here's how I would rank things in order of worst to best. In this case, "worst" and "best" are looked at in terms of overall traction and safety rather than the fun factor or personal preference.

RWD summer tires
RWD all season tires
FWD all season
FWD winter tires
AWD all seasons
AWD winter tires
4x4 mud tires (loose or deep snow and slush; they need siped for hardpack)

I prefer an all wheel drive with good all-seasons to FWD with a winter set. If the all-season tire is good (which many new compounds are), then the difference between stopping with a snow tire and a good all-season is not so dramatic. Sure, winter tire will still outperform an all-season, but in real world, breaking traction is still going to be very easy, so most will drive accordingly - slower and allow themselves more distance.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ManualShifterMz3s
Junior Standardshifter

potownrob wrote:
ManualShifterMz3s wrote:
Thanks for sharing your story and experience. Hopefully we all can learn something from it.

I will check out those links later (at a more convenient time).