how do you feel about stick shifts with frills

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: how do you feel about stick shifts with frills

Post by tankinbeans »

Your Focus is a current generation 2012- present correct? If so it has the device Watkins described which would prevent you going into reverse without first slowing the shifter to center. I kno because I made the error several times as I'd owned a 6 speed before getting my Focus SE.

The broken line above reverse signifies the additional step in shifting.

My current car has the collar type.

17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

forgot to mention, i don't care for the collar lock-outs. i'm sure i could get used to them, but it seems like too much work when the other lock-outs (usually) don't even get in the way.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

The collar on my wife's Sunfire is no more trouble or work than the push-down-into-the-ground lockout that was on my VW. Both merely require me to remember to do something.

My T5 has no lockout and it doesn't bother me, but I've never owned a 6 speed so it's rare for me to accidentally try to shift into 6th. That said, I have tried once or twice (by accident) and no harm was done. It's not possible to shift into reverse at any significant forward speed, even without a lockout.

Edit: Just realized I had already posted in this thread, and in much more detail. I'd like to add that my wife's shifter is finicky but I don't think the collar lockout is to blame, which was not clear in my previous post. Also I forgot about that dogleg position that requires a lockout in the VW.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote: It's not possible to shift into reverse at any significant forward speed, even without a lockout.
But it is possible to grind the shit out of the gears
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

watkins wrote:
theholycow wrote: It's not possible to shift into reverse at any significant forward speed, even without a lockout.
But it is possible to grind the shit out of the cornholes
Fickset
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Yeah, but who's going to keep leaning on it once it starts to grind? The moment a gear grinds, most people back off before any harm is done.

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:Yeah, but who's going to keep leaning on it once it starts to grind? The moment a gear grinds, most people back off before any harm is done.
this makes me remember that there are deaf people out there shifting their own gears. They might not notice the grinding if it's mainly audible and not felt easily. I had an assistant scoutmaster back in the day who had one of those old mid 80s dodge Rams with the stick and no tach. He ends up selling it to a couple with a deaf son for the son to drive. Something about a light inside the cab to alert the driver to look around when loud noises set it off.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

potownrob wrote:
theholycow wrote:Yeah, but who's going to keep leaning on it once it starts to grind? The moment a gear grinds, most people back off before any harm is done.
this makes me remember that there are deaf people out there shifting their own gears. They might not notice the grinding if it's mainly audible and not felt easily. I had an assistant scoutmaster back in the day who had one of those old mid 80s dodge Rams with the stick and no tach. He ends up selling it to a couple with a deaf son for the son to drive. Something about a light inside the cab to alert the driver to look around when loud noises set it off.
I feel the grinding in the shifter almost to the same extent as I hear the noise. I feel like a deaf person would be able to feel it instead of just hearing it, especially as they became more practiced with a vehicle.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
potownrob wrote:
I feel the grinding in the shifter almost to the same extent as I hear the noise. I feel like a deaf person would be able to feel it instead of just hearing it, especially as they became more practiced with a vehicle.
Yeah, but would an armless driver notice it if he / she had the radio turned up loud?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Squint wrote:I feel the grinding in the shifter almost to the same extent as I hear the noise. I feel like a deaf person would be able to feel it instead of just hearing it, especially as they became more practiced with a vehicle.
Yeah, but would an armless driver notice it if he / she had the radio turned up loud?
I'm mostly confident in my ability to answer this. The answer is yes. An armless driver WOULD notice if the radio is turned up loud. Unless they were also deaf, then it might depend on the speaker quality/subwoofer in the vehicle.

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Shifting with the teeth allows armless drivers to use their heads to understand the car.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

That's one way to get ahead of the other drivers...as long as you don't mind that you're not head and shoulders above them. Well, gotta keep your nose to the grindstick! You know, keep your head down. Head on down to your destination, even. Something something mouth something something knob something something head. Somebody head me off at the pass so I stop with these stupid head puns.

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:That's one way to get ahead of the other drivers...as long as you don't mind that you're not head and shoulders above them. Well, gotta keep your nose to the grindstick! You know, keep your head down. Head on down to your destination, even. Something something mouth something something knob something something head. Somebody head me off at the pass so I stop with these stupid head puns.
At least you're thinking with your dipstick!

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

New Detroit Trucks with 3 on the tree Column Shift manuals - 1986 - yes
http://autoweek.com/article/classic-car ... s-1986-yes
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I wouldn't mind trying a 3 on the tree. Allegedly there is even a 5 on the tree out there somewhere.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport