Manaual Trans Fluid Change

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Manaual Trans Fluid Change

Post by Bill B »

I know I should have done it myself, but got the oil and manual trans fluid changed on the Element. It has 95,000 miles on and have only done it one other time, so probably was due. Saved $60 on the fluid change vs the Auto. Guy first quoted me AT prices and couldn't believe that it actually had a 3rd pedal. He said they don't get many manuals in these days. I like the Element but was bummed to hear that one of my other favorites the Xterra is being dumped by Nissan after 2015. It is one of the few body on frame SUV's left where you can order a new one with 4WD, 6 Cyl and 6MT.

I thought that the new Chevy Colorado might be nice with an MT. You can only get it in the 4cyl and 2wd version that gets about the same mileage at the larger engine.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/why-you-d ... 1699196098
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Manaual Trans Fluid Change

Post by potownrob »

i used to change out the gear oil myself when i had the old maxima. every 20k like clockwork. there's even a thread about it with pics somewhere in this forum. i don't really feel bad about letting the dealer do it now. i don't have the dexterity, patience, eyesight or upper body strength/agility to do that stuff anymore, at least not without laying there for half an hour before deciding to go through with the ordeal. now, cabin air filter, yeah i should've done that myself. that was pure laziness. i have a new one in my trunk for when it's time to change the one in the accord.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

just wanted to make sure you know that the xterra is totally different from the element or cr-v or similar. i'd be willing to bet your element is quicker and feels quicker than a V6 xterra. not knocking on the xterra; it's just a different kind of vehicle.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Only related because the vehicle, but I pulled up next to an Element yesterday that was slightly modified. It had some stickers, different lower decorations (maybe new bumpers) but the part I really noticed? It had an iPad mount on top of the dash over the radio and seemed like that was wired in to control the entertainment system.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

Alot of the younger folks with the Elements have done a few stereo and other mods. The 6 speakers from the factory on my EX is sufficiently loud for me. Seems to be a lot doing the Plasti Dip on the wheels too. Don't know if they ever went through with it, but a couple of guys on the Element forum wanted to remove the 4WD system so they could lower it. My first thought would have been to sell the 4WD Element and get one with a 2WD.
Squint wrote:Only related because the vehicle, but I pulled up next to an Element yesterday that was slightly modified. It had some stickers, different lower decorations (maybe new bumpers) but the part I really noticed? It had an iPad mount on top of the dash over the radio and seemed like that was wired in to control the entertainment system.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

Have never actually driven and Xterra, so that probably is true. The Element with the MT is slightly faster in the 0-60 than the automatic version.
potownrob wrote:just wanted to make sure you know that the xterra is totally different from the element or cr-v or similar. i'd be willing to bet your element is quicker and feels quicker than a V6 xterra. not knocking on the xterra; it's just a different kind of vehicle.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio