What was the worst car you've ever worked on?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Re: What was the worst car you've ever worked on?

Post by SonicHKS »

Hated working on my Z28....half the engine was tucked under the windshield or w/e by the firewall.

Hated working on my MR2 Turbo....couldn't replace anything without removing 2-3 other parts. Had to drop the entire exhaust just to replace an alternator, for one thing. Parts prices were insane....$1000 for a MAF :shock:. I've bought entire cars for less.

Friend's Fiat Spider.....everything had rusted solid. It was seriously a solid chunk of rust, pretty much impossible to remove anything. There wasn't enough PB Blaster on Earth to get that **** apart :lol: .

I've been working on later model BMWs and have to admit they're better than I was expecting. Usually a very smart design and well-built.

Worked on a Maserati Quattroporte. Was not impressed. Looked good, but very poor build quality and I hated removing the dash. All comes out in 1 big piece and its easy to break and more expensive than my Sonic to replace.

One of the best cars I've ever worked on was a Tesla Model S. Simple and solid build quality. No real difficulties to note. Also, it was a July day and the a/c in it cooled the entire garage with the doors open....and only lost like 5 miles of range. Very cool car.

Best cars I've worked on were my Fieros. So simple with giant engine bays and easy access to pretty much everything. Parts prices were awesome, only like $100 for an entire ECU.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

SonicHKS wrote:the a/c in it cooled the entire garage with the doors open....and only lost like 5 miles of range. Very cool car.

Where did it put the heat that it removed?

Was its condenser outside the garage, like maybe the nose of the car sticking out?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

theholycow wrote:
SonicHKS wrote:the a/c in it cooled the entire garage with the doors open....and only lost like 5 miles of range. Very cool car.

Where did it put the heat that it removed?

Was its condenser outside the garage, like maybe the nose of the car sticking out?
I'm guessing it heated the engine bay or something like that, the area around the condenser, and cooled the garage? I didn't think anything like that was possible....so I'm thinking witchcraft.

Joking aside, it could drastically heat the air in an enclosed space in the engine bay while cooling the rest of the air in the garage? And yea it was with the garage doors open (my original wording wasn't clear, almost looks like I just said the car doors were open...).