So I've been thinking of getting another car...again

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: So I've been thinking of getting another car...again

Post by watkins »

potownrob wrote: also, no one's mentioned the practical need to run winter tires on a RWD bimmer.
Every car in the snowy part of the country should have winter tires. I dont care what wheels are driven. Id rather RWD with winters than AWD with all seasons any day.
bk7794 wrote:Plus where else can you get an I6 RWD THAT was made after the year 2000. Other than the Lexus is300.
Jeep Wrangler TJ...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:Every car in the snowy part of the country should have winter tires. I dont care what wheels are driven. Id rather RWD with winters than AWD with all seasons any day.
Word. It's not that it's so awful driving on all-seasons, it's that winter tires are a great bonus (and really carry no cost penalty the way I use them).
Jeep Wrangler TJ...
...uhh, that's not really the type of driving dynamics bk was talking about.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Still RWD with an inline 6! Its the same thing almost!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

bk7794 wrote:Plus where else can you get an I6 RWD THAT was made after the year 2000. Other than the Lexus is300.
"Where else can you get," is an interesting turn of phrase. The Ford [Australia] Falcon is offered in such a configuration, in naturally aspirated or turbocharged guise, for another 10 months or so, until they go to an imported global FWD platform to replace it.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote:
potownrob wrote: also, no one's mentioned the practical need to run winter tires on a RWD bimmer.
Every car in the snowy part of the country should have winter tires. I dont care what wheels are driven. Id rather RWD with winters than AWD with all seasons any day.
true that. 8) despite the cr-v being good at driving up my driveway and certain other maneuvers 2WD cars would tend to struggle (w/ all seasons), it was not confident on the roads. the jetta with its lowly firestone winterforce tires was much more confident and did almost everything better.
watkins wrote:
Jeep Wrangler TJ...
i'd hit that
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I have thought about a Jeep..but the fuel mileage is pretty horrendous on them. from what I've heard its like 15 combined. I feel like I can swing 25 to 30, but 15 would kill me if gas went back up to 4+ a gallon.

I wish Lexus still made their SC300 coupe..and the IS300 got better fuel mileage.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:I have thought about a Jeep..but the fuel mileage is pretty horrendous on them. from what I've heard its like 15 combined. I feel like I can swing 25 to 30, but 15 would kill me if gas went back up to 4+ a gallon.

I wish Lexus still made their SC300 coupe..and the IS300 got better fuel mileage.
what about a 1st gen IS250??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-IXPP3pAng

:shock:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I wonder what the price of one of those would be. The steering wheel is kind of oblong.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:I wonder what the price of one of those would be. The steering wheel is kind of oblong.
the lowest i'm seeing them listed for on craigslist is 8500. the wheel is more round than that pic makes it look - the lexus (and toyota) wheels were a little wide during the 2000s for some reason - earlier and later wheels are more round. :?: :?: