So I've been thinking of getting another car...again

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: So I've been thinking of getting another car...again

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:
potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:That TL had 204k miles lol. It's a shame there aren't more BMW 5 Series lingering around. Those seem to be a decent size plus RWD
you're worried about hondas with high miles, but an old bmw is no problem?? :? :lol: 8)
Most of those have like 130k miles. Pretty robust powertrains and more reasonably priced.
there is more to the car than the powertrain :? :oops: :cry: :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Overall driving experience will certainly be better in a BMW
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Image
Overall driving experience will certainly be better in a Ferrari
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

this entire thread (whats good, bad, high miles, parts being broken, whatever) makes me worried about ever getting a car again...
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote:this entire thread (whats good, bad, high miles, parts being broken, whatever) makes me worried about ever getting a car again...

Now THAT'S Scarrrrrrry!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

wannabe wrote:this entire thread (whats good, bad, high miles, parts being broken, whatever) makes me worried about ever getting a car again...
This is where being a mechanic comes in handy. My next car will be a Saab 9-5 Aero SportCombi (wagon) once the Viggen hits 200k miles next year. Dont care much about mileage. As long as the engine and transmission are strong and the body and interior are clean Im not worried.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

watkins wrote:Overall driving experience will certainly be better in a BMW
...says the saab driver and chrysler mechanic!! i know certain 5 series generations and models were/are very reliable for bmws, but i think some of you are making it sound like they will be trouble free cars. also, no one's mentioned the practical need to run winter tires on a RWD bimmer.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

just have to know what's good, look the car over good and, if possible, get the car checked out by a mechanic before buying. the more money you have to spend, the nicer the car you can get, though you may still end up with a car with issues. i personally wouldn't go for a 20 year old german car (or any car that old) unless i had money set aside to pay for any maintenance, but the other guys don't seem to think much of that. most of my cars i bought used i neglected to get checked out before buying. most of them had at least some issue with them, though usually nothing that i couldn't fix for under $500. the 96 accord i bought was an exception - ended up spending close to $2000 to get it running in good shape. it did run nice for a 15 year old car after that though. of course, the window motors were still dying and i didn't bother getting them fixed. ended up letting my sister trade it in when she got a new accord and i got the 03 accord (automatic), a transaction i've regretted, especially since she only got $500 for the 96 accord and i still had to pay her back for the 03 accord. she did help me a lot with future cars and debts after that though.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

potownrob wrote:
watkins wrote:Overall driving experience will certainly be better in a BMW
...says the saab driver and chrysler mechanic!! i know certain 5 series generations and models were/are very reliable for bmws, but i think some of you are making it sound like they will be trouble free cars. also, no one's mentioned the practical need to run winter tires on a RWD bimmer.
In CT, that would be an advisable investment regardless. I've never owned anything but RWD vehicles on all-seasons (except the 'Vette, which doesn't go out in the salt). If you want to run summer tires for three seasons, that's your choice.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

potownrob wrote:
just have to know what's good, look the car over good and, if possible, get the car checked out by a mechanic before buying. the more money you have to spend, the nicer the car you can get, though you may still end up with a car with issues. i personally wouldn't go for a 20 year old german car (or any car that old) unless i had money set aside to pay for any maintenance, but the other guys don't seem to think much of that. most of my cars i bought used i neglected to get checked out before buying. most of them had at least some issue with them, though usually nothing that i couldn't fix for under $500. the 96 accord i bought was an exception - ended up spending close to $2000 to get it running in good shape. it did run nice for a 15 year old car after that though. of course, the window motors were still dying and i didn't bother getting them fixed. ended up letting my sister trade it in when she got a new accord and i got the 03 accord (automatic), a transaction i've regretted, especially since she only got $500 for the 96 accord and i still had to pay her back for the 03 accord. she did help me a lot with future cars and debts after that though.
i have an uncle who is a backyard mechanic, and other friends who are such as well, that can look over cars... the money thing will be interesting to see if it comes into play soonish? to get a car...altho i don't mind the walking/bus riding, the taking 1.5-2 hours to get to/from work is getting tiring....

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote:...altho i don't mind the walking/bus riding, the taking 1.5-2 hours to get to/from work is getting tiring....
That's why DOG invented bicycles with winter tires!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: she did help me a lot with future cars and debts after that though.
That's what sinisters are for!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote: i have an uncle who is a backyard mechanic, and other friends who are such as well, that can look over cars... the money thing will be interesting to see if it comes into play soonish? to get a car...altho i don't mind the walking/bus riding, the taking 1.5-2 hours to get to/from work is getting tiring....
i think you've mentioned that before. that will help you keep maintenance costs way down. whatcha thinking of getting??
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:
just have to know what's good, look the car over good and, if possible, get the car checked out by a mechanic before buying. the more money you have to spend, the nicer the car you can get,.... transaction i've regretted, especially since she only got $500 for the 96 accord and i still had to pay her back for the 03 accord. she did help me a lot with future cars and debts after that though.
I see what you're saying and it has crossed my mind. Though some funny parts I should note is that Honda parts aren't necessarily 80s Buick OEM Rock Auto cheap either. There's a decent amount of online support but from what I've seen there's a decent amount of BMW support. Plus I own the Civic. I don't think I'd get rid of the car because I paid too much for it and I don't think I'd get my money back on it if I sold it.

The Winter tire situation doesn't really bother me either. I don't really drive much in the snow and not only that, winter tires can be had for cheap on Craigslist. I also have the ability to work on a car now with the ability to go to a garage with a friend that would help and a house. If anything I kind of regret not trying this a bit sooner.

Plus where else can you get an I6 RWD THAT was made after the year 2000. Other than the Lexus is300.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

potownrob wrote:
wannabe wrote: i have an uncle who is a backyard mechanic, and other friends who are such as well, that can look over cars... the money thing will be interesting to see if it comes into play soonish? to get a car...altho i don't mind the walking/bus riding, the taking 1.5-2 hours to get to/from work is getting tiring....
i think you've mentioned that before. that will help you keep maintenance costs way down. whatcha thinking of getting??
something that runs. i'm not seriously looking right now. it'll probably be a year or so before i have funds. enough funds to not get a $500 beater that only lasts one snow type thing. would rather it last longer. i just got a raise and it shows up in thursdays paycheck and so then i'll be able to plan out finances better when i know what it actually is (vs just a number...)

Rope-Pusher wrote:
wannabe wrote:...altho i don't mind the walking/bus riding, the taking 1.5-2 hours to get to/from work is getting tiring....
That's why DOG invented bicycles with winter tires!
I can't bicycle. i've tried before, to/from work. my knees and lungs decide thats a good time to die....any small hill, even curb cuts, get to be too much and then i just walk the bike. never knew gr had so many hills till i took my bike to/from work.....i'd rather walk. less lung pain!

Crafting and stuff