Creaky/gritty clutch pedal feel during the first half of travel

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
LesPaulMan
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 Nissan Versa S

Creaky/gritty clutch pedal feel during the first half of travel

Post by LesPaulMan »

Oh hey there,
It's me with the newb questions again. I have recently noticed, since switching my clutching foot technique from pivoting at the heel to moving the entire leg, that the first half of my clutch's travel (from floor up) does not feel super smooth. Meaning, I almost feel some grittiness if that makes sense. With the engine off, you can also hear the faintest creak. It's a new Versa with 3k miles on it but I did dump the clutch once moving at 10mph in 1st gear when I shouldn't have (huge shift shock ofc).

Question: is there something broken? Bad bushing at 3k seems a little early... Also, is it normal to feel some grittiness as the clutch is starting to bite when I am slipping the clutch in first gear?

Thanks as always. You guys are awesome.
2016 Nissa Vera S 1.6L. Manual Transmission
2011 Mazda 3 2.0L SkyActive. Automatic<--My folks' car
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Creaky/gritty clutch pedal feel during the first half of travel

Post by potownrob »

LesPaulMan wrote:Oh hey there,
It's me with the newb questions again. I have recently noticed, since switching my clutching foot technique from pivoting at the heel to moving the entire leg, that the first half of my clutch's travel (from floor up) does not feel super smooth. Meaning, I almost feel some grittiness if that makes sense. With the engine off, you can also hear the faintest creak. It's a new Versa with 3k miles on it but I did dump the clutch once moving at 10mph in 1st gear when I shouldn't have (huge shift shock ofc).

Question: is there something broken? Bad bushing at 3k seems a little early... Also, is it normal to feel some grittiness as the clutch is starting to bite when I am slipping the clutch in first gear?

is it the same sound when the engine is on and off?? if you hear the same sound with the engine off (you might hear it better with the engine off, assuming it's the same sound), it might just be a typical clutch creak. ill let the pros diagnose and hypothesize further. :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

You haven't damaged anything.

You might want to search/ask on a forum with lots of Versa/late-model Nissan owners. That's likely to be a model/manufacturer-specific thing. It could be a common issue with Versas or late-model Nissans, or just the nature of the beast for them, or totally random.

It's the sort of thing I would probably ignore and forget.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:
LesPaulMan wrote:Oh hey there,

is it the same sound when the engine is on and off?? if you hear the same sound with the engine off (you might hear it better with the engine off, assuming it's the same sound), it might just be a typical clutch creak. ill let the pros diagnose and hypothesize further. :twisted:
Is the noise from down by the pedal? With the handbrake applied, can you kneel outside the door and stick you head in near the pedals as you push the clutch pedal by hand and listen....sometimes it could be as simple as putting some lithium grease on the clutch master cylinder shaft/rod to quiet and smooth things up.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
LesPaulMan
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 Nissan Versa S

Post by LesPaulMan »

It creaks with the engine off, with the engine on, I don't really hear much. Where the creak happens with the engine off does coincide where the clutch pedal feels gritty though (both engine on and off).

Thanks.

I have yet to try the pedal with the engine off. Will hopefully get to it.
2016 Nissa Vera S 1.6L. Manual Transmission
2011 Mazda 3 2.0L SkyActive. Automatic<--My folks' car
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

LesPaulMan,

In regards to this issue I'd seek to the car specific club forums (yeah there's probably even one for Versa :) ) and see what others takes are. A lot of these things could be qwirks or characteristics inherit to the car. Also, even if it's a crappy cellphone video (though many cellphone videos are really good these days) try and recreate it with the car off and let us in. It would be much easier to try diagnosing something like this with something to go by if possible. I like my good friend had a creaky clutch pedal in his 2015 Mazda 3- it actually started creaking with a lot of noise after 3k on the odometer and it was covered under warranty. Think the whole pedal assembly was replaced no questions asked and it was a silent operator since.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

As I was driving today with my windows open in a quiet neighborhood, whenever I came to a stop and declutched I heard it squeal like some kind of hunting call...and I thought of this thread. :lol:

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote: As I was driving today with my windows open in a quiet neighborhood, whenever I came to a stop and declutched I heard it squeal like some kind of hunting call...and I thought of this thread. :lol:
As I was driving today with my windows open on a quiet country road, whenever I came to a stop and declutched I heard it squeal like some kind of hunting call...and I thought of this thread. :lol:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I thought of cow too when I heard this.

https://youtu.be/2XPsV3lKuMw

Grr. I can't get this to embed. Does it not work on the mobile platform?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:I thought of cow too when I heard this.

not sure if eye've ever gotten youtube embedding to work on here, at least since the remodel a couple years back. :evil:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:

not sure if eye've ever gotten youtube embedding to work on here, at least since the remodel a couple years back. :evil:
It's a bit tedious to do on mobile interfaces, but it's not hard. On desktop the only gotcha is removing the 's' from "https://www.youtube.com/blahblahblah"; it works with http but not https, and these days Youtube gratuitously uses https (as if it's necessary to encrypt cat videos for the same security as my online banking).

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:

It's a bit tedious to do on mobile interfaces, but it's not hard. On desktop the only gotcha is removing the 's' from "https://www.youtube.com/blahblahblah"; it works with http but not https, and these days Youtube gratuitously uses https (as if it's necessary to encrypt cat videos for the same security as my online banking).
Mebbe the cat video is worth more than what you got in the benk.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Mebbe the cat video is worth more than what you got in the benk.
Excellent point!

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Mebbe the cat video is worth more than what you got in the benk.
Excellent point!
Hay, when they start paying negative interest rates on my negative account balance, Isle starred earning sum munny, write?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
theholycow wrote:
Excellent point!
Hay, when they start paying negative interest rates on my negative account balance, Isle starred earning sum munny, write?
Yeah, but it's negative money...it's only good for buying negative things. You can buy half of your electricity but you'll need to build a pulse->AC transformer.