Angular Gas pedals

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Post by theholycow »

six wrote:What are you guys doing heel-toeing in trucks??
It can be important for steep hill launches (especially while towing), and it can help when traffic is slowing but you know it will accelerate instead of coming to a stop.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:
six wrote:What are you guys doing heel-toeing in trucks??
It can be important for steep hill launches (especially while towing), and it can help when traffic is slowing but you know it will accelerate instead of coming to a stop.
That's a viable method for hill launches? How does it work? Is the foot moron the same, or slightly different? I think I tried once and I failed miserably.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I heel-toe in just about anything, because I can. Its just my driving style at this point.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:That's a viable method for hill launches? How does it work? Is the foot moron the same, or slightly different? I think I tried once and I failed miserably.
Well, if you're used to racing-style DCHT where you're deep in the brake but finessing it and stabbing the accelerator pedal savagely then it's different from that. You obviously have to feather the accelerator pedal while easing off the brake. Like any other HT, it's up to you to figure out the way that your foot will fit the vehicle you're driving to do the job, if there's a possible fit at all.

In the Buick it's pretty easy, but now I have a throttle switch anyway...there's a throttle-shoving solenoid that's supposed to come on with A/C but it's totally unnecessary for that (and A/C is broken anyway), and it was getting on my nerves revving too high whenever I ran the defogger so I rewired it to run off of a switch. That helps it stay running at idle on cold winter mornings (stupid Flintstones-era technology) and that's mostly how I use it, though lately my backup lights aren't working and I'll stand on the brakes just enough to light up the area in red...

I don't think I can do it in the Pontiac, but I can't say I've really tried. Modern electronic fuel injection, small car, reasonable displacement, it can hold itself with the IAC.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I've never had a vehicle that wouldn't hold itself on clutch alone at least long enough to get from the brake to the gas, even on steeper hills.

My answer falls more along the lines of it just being my driving style at this point. I do know and concur that clutching before the corner and shifting after it isn't wrong, as such, but a nice DCHT and being at neutral throttle in the appropriate gear by the time it's time to turn is the most elegant solution, and very satisfying.

Not to say I do that every time, but I do like having the option, especially since third is a little tall for accelerating out of a very tight right but second is a lot short for doing it without a double-clutch.
kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kevinf »

IMBoring25 wrote:Currently:

'89 Grand Marquis (5.0L V8/4A/RWD)
'93 Corvette (5.7L V8/6M/RWD)
'08 Ram 2500 (6.7L TD I6/6M/4WD)
'11 Road Glide Ultra (1.7L V2/6M/RWD)

Previously:

'97 Chevy C1500 (4.3L V6 -> 5.0L V8/5M/RWD)
'93 Vulcan 750 (0.8L V2/5M/RWD)

Obviously the diagonal gas pedal discussion excepts the motorcycles.
Someone else on this forum had a VN750. Neat 8)

One of the Ford Econoline vans I've driven had a brake pedal lifted so high up that I could pass my entire foot under it when I was moving off of the gas over to it.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote: Obviously the diagonal gas pedal discussion excepts the motorcycles.
Her say "Not so obvious" Chemo-Therapy
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Barring a highly unconventional arrangement, that's a rear brake. The pedal is also an isosceles trapezoid, so not diagonal in the sense we were discussing. Points for torturing it into that picture though...
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

bobklobb wrote: I noticed this in my Dakota as well. Tried heel toe once in it and found I had to nearly floor the brake to actually hit the gas with any precision. Granted this is a truck so it's not really an issue not being able to heel toe, I had wanted to practice :(
Bit late to this one, but I have to ask, what year Dakota? I had a '92. Heel/toe in it was weird but functional. I couldn't just pivot onto the throttle, I popped my toe to the very top of the brake pedal and did a sharp downward heel stab to pull off the rev match. I couldn't see my toes because they were poking up above the edge of the kick panel. That was a sweet truck to drive.
IMBoring25 wrote:I've never had a vehicle that wouldn't hold itself on clutch alone at least long enough to get from the brake to the gas, even on steeper hills.
1994 Chevrolet Cavalier. A long, truly steep hill took 3/4 throttle or more in 3rd to get to the top. Once the handbrake broke for the the fourth time I said eff it and did the same thing with the service brakes. Very edge of the foot on the brakes, rest of the foot pivoting to the throttle, work the clutch. Same idea in my Dakota since it had the fancy schmancy foot pedal parking brake that didn't work. Gee, that's interesting. Out of five vehicles I've had with a parking brake (bike doesn't count) three of them it either worked intermittently or not at all.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200