I've been thinking about getting a leftover diesel

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

I've been thinking about getting a leftover diesel

Post by bk7794 »

I've been thinking about scooping up one of those 2015 leftover diesels. Anybody ever drive one? I wonder how they'd be in terms of 'spirited' driving.

I kind of secretly hope they fix all the cheating diesel cars.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: I've been thinking about getting a leftover diesel

Post by Rope-Pusher »

VW OFFERS BIG DIESEL BONUS
Volkswagen recently received approval to sell some of its remaining stock of diesel cars in the U.S. and now it’s sweetening the deal. It’s offering a 24-month lease option with an $8,500 bonus, or 0 percent, 72-month financing with a $5,000 bonus. This is for vehicles from 2015 with the third generation of the automaker’s 2.0L TDI engine, which includes the Jetta, Golf, Beetle, Passat and Audi A3. All the vehicles have had the defeat software removed and VW says “no significant changes to key vehicle attributes are expected, including fuel consumption, reliability, durability, vehicle performance, drivability, or other driving characteristics.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/busine ... 101343526/
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:I've been thinking about scooping up one of those 2015 leftover diesels. Anybody ever drive one? I wonder how they'd be in terms of 'spirited' driving.

I kind of secretly hope they fix all the cheating diesel cars.
never driven one, but have read about them, read about them compared to the non TDI models, and of course i have a TSI Golf. From what eye've read, the TSI (and GTI of course) models are more fun to drive. The TDI has more torque than the regular Golf TSI, but it's said (too lazy to look it up) that it's not significantly more torquey. What I'd be leery of are the older headunits in the 2015s (they updated them for 2016 model year) and the implications of a car having sat out for 2 years without being driven much. Also, if they base the discounts on the prices I've seen, it may not be worth it. If you can get a good deal, it should be a good car.

clicky clicky: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... 8d3ba62d19

edit: i've been averaging about 32 mpg lately in mixed (mostly commuting but not on real highways) driving. lowest i've averaged is around 29 mpg (in the winter). too lazy to pull up my real numbers. :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

That's what I mean, other than the torque, that in all honesty Gas engines are starting to get, there really is no incentive for diesel. You have the premium of the motor, DEF, the lousy emissions garbage. There's almost no solid reason to get one.

Maybe I'll keep an eye out for the older ones then. Though I hate the older body styles. I would like a Cummins pickup though

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/6124210094.html Seems like a deal
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:That's what I mean, other than the torque, that in all honesty Gas engines are starting to get, there really is no incentive for diesel. You have the premium of the motor, DEF, the lousy emissions garbage. There's almost no solid reason to get one.

Maybe I'll keep an eye out for the older ones then. Though I hate the older body styles.
you seem to be forgetting about the far superior fuel smileage of the TDI. also, if you decide to sell, resale should be better for the TDI models (just look at the friggin' demand). may still not be worth it with the higher up-front vehicle price and potentially higher diesel prices. FYI: 1.8 TSI engine runs well on regular 87 gas. :) older TDI may be an option, but their prices may be superficially high too (due to demand).
I would like a Cummins pickup though

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/6124210094.html Seems like a deal
you're all over the place now :shock: :? 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Dad, I wanna be a "Diesel Fitter" when I grow up.

It's good to hear you are thinking of your future, Son.....er,.....what does a "Diesel Fitter" do? Will you need a special education or vocational training?

No Dad, a "Diesel Fitter" is a quality control technician who works at a bra factory. At the end of the line, he takes one bra out of every ten, holds it up in the air, and says "Diesel Fitter!"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

This is a Mad-Man that I can Respect!

Diesel's future remains murky in wake of VW cheating scandal - AutomotiveNews

Betts is blunter: “If I was at a dinner party and somebody said are diesels going to continue to grow, my answer would be, ‘I don’t think so.’”

http://canada.autonews.com/article/2017 ... ews-weekly

Actually, I don't have much respect for Betts. He was the head of Quality at Chrysler during the Cerberus days. He came in from Nissan with his plan and he didn't want to hear from anyone else what they thought the problems / solutions might be. He had his 7 years to move the needle before he "Left to pursue other opportunities". Even considering the timespan of automotive programs, he shudda bean able to show some measurable improvements within 5 years, or what he was doing was wrong / not enough.