CAI or Short Ram ?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
OzZyMaN2438
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Mits Evo MR

CAI or Short Ram ?

Post by OzZyMaN2438 »

I'm trying to decide what I want to put in my Spyder. I'm debating against the CAI-if I bought one it would be an AEM, of course, or a Short Ram, but I don't know if AEM makes short rams or who makes the best of those. I know that they both have their benefits, and downfalls. A few questions:

Is it true that CAI and/or Short Rams add a little top end hp, but sacrifice low end hp ?

I heard that a CAI is basically worthless unless you are using a turbo/intercooler combo cuz the heat from the engine is counteracting the effects of the Intake.

Which is better and what are best brands...I would like to keep it at around $150 or less
2010 Evo X MR- Rally Red :http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3863366
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: CAI or Short Ram ?

Post by potownrob »

OzZyMaN2438 wrote: Is it true that CAI and/or Short Rams add a little top end hp, but sacrifice low end hp ?
I think this will depend on the intake and its application. When I installed an AEM shortram in my 94 Civic EX, I noticed an overall improvement in throttle response. I think lowend was improved at least slightly. Upperend noticeably improved and midrange a little bit. Not a surprise since the stock airbox is so restrictive it's a miracle any air made it into that engine :lol: Shortrams are said to be better with upperend since the shorter piping allows more air in at higher rpms, but you're taking in warmer and less dense air from under the hood, while a CAI takes in cooler air from the outside of the car. Shorties are supposedly more versatile, meaning they tend to work better for many applications, but I haven't seen too many hardcore tuners running shortrams :idea:
I heard that a CAI is basically worthless unless you are using a turbo/intercooler combo cuz the heat from the engine is counteracting the effects of the Intake.
You're not going to turn your car into a beast with an intake, though it may sound meaner. Unless you have lots of other mods already, it'll only add a few horses... CAI takes air from outside the car. Most I've seen are routed near the front bumper or in a front wheel well. The piping, if it's metal at least, does heat up a little from the being near the engine, but I'm not sure how much this affects the cold air coming into the pipe.
Which is better and what are best brands...I would like to keep it at around $150 or less
You can't go wrong with AEM or Injen for most applications, and there are other brands like Iceman, I think GReddy and Comptech (for Hondas) that make good intakes too. I would ask around and read reviews on carreview.com or epinions for more info. As with everything, it'll depend on your car and what you want to improve about it :o .
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

OzZyMaN2438 wrote:I'm trying to decide what I want to put in my Spyder. I'm debating against the CAI-if I bought one it would be an AEM, of course, or a Short Ram, but I don't know if AEM makes short rams or who makes the best of those.
I love your decisive indecision. :lol:

Just remember that while you will see some slight improvement with the addition of an intake, actual benefits will be minimal at best. My brother installed one of these on his ZX2 and saw no change in MPG and very little change in acceleration across the powerband. If it isn't a large cost, then it'll be a fun project; however, if you are actually looking for dramatic changes, you'll need a lot more than air. :wink:
Last edited by Johnf514 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
MostWanted
Senior Standardshifter

Post by MostWanted »

OzZyMaN2438 wrote:Is it true that CAI and/or Short Rams add a little top end hp, but sacrifice low end hp ?
yes for the most part

OzZyMaN2438 wrote: I heard that a CAI is basically worthless unless you are using a turbo/intercooler combo cuz the heat from the engine is counteracting the effects of the Intake.
your statement is backwards. CAI's are worthless on turbo setups.
OzZyMaN2438 wrote: Which is better and what are best brands...I would like to keep it at around $150 or less
Whatever is cheapest is best. all CAI's are filters on a stick. a fancy colored metal CAI selling for $300 will do the same as a plain plastic CAI that sells for $100. anything else they would have you believe is pure marketing.

edit: basically short rams are good for the "worry free" factor. too long of a CAI or too high of a puddle and you run the risk of hydrolocking an engine. CAI's provide colder air since short ram's are basically sucking up the warm air in the engine. like someone else mentioned gains are minimal, most people do it for the sound.
"Look Ma I'm Shifting!!! I'm Shifting, *putt putt putt... stall* god damn it! !@#$"
OzZyMaN2438
Senior Standardshifter

Post by OzZyMaN2438 »

I already have a K&N Filter installed-I noticed a small horsepower gain...probably about 2 or 3 hp, and I noticed at least a 3mpg increase at the pump. I know that I can't have both an AEM Intake and the K&N Filter but If I went to a Short Ram would I see a small mpg change at all as well as a few ponies like I did with the K&N ?
OzZyMaN2438
Senior Standardshifter

Post by OzZyMaN2438 »

I think that the Variable Induction in my car would take advantage of an intake of any kind and make it worth my while, especially since Short Rams are said to improve top end and the VAI kicks in at the mid to high range of the powerband. I am leaning towards a Short ram-almost 100 bucks cheaper, easy to maintain, and I don't have to worry about running through puddles and installing a bypass valve like I would in a CAI. Performance Center has an AEM Short Ram on sale for $146 and AEM's website has dyno results showing a 5.3hp gain and a 4 lb ft tq in a 2000 Eclipse GT. They did not have the extra 10hp and the VAI that mine does in that model, so I could probably expect slightly more.

Also, are there any other modifications that can improve power for around $100-$150 that I could do. I'm getting married at the end of the summer and I am trying to toy with the car a little bit but not blow my savings account.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

OzZyMaN2438 wrote:I already have a K&N Filter installed-I noticed a small horsepower gain...probably about 2 or 3 hp, and I noticed at least a 3mpg increase at the pump. I know that I can't have both an AEM Intake and the K&N Filter but If I went to a Short Ram would I see a small mpg change at all as well as a few ponies like I did with the K&N ?
The AEM intake comes with a K&N cone filter. I noticed a slight increase in mpg with my shortram; I have no idea if you'll get better mileage with an intake in your V6 Eclipse.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

OzZyMaN2438 wrote:I think that the Variable Induction in my car would take advantage of an intake of any kind and make it worth my while, especially since Short Rams are said to improve top end and the VAI kicks in at the mid to high range of the powerband. I am leaning towards a Short ram-almost 100 bucks cheaper, easy to maintain, and I don't have to worry about running through puddles and installing a bypass valve like I would in a CAI. Performance Center has an AEM Short Ram on sale for $146 and AEM's website has dyno results showing a 5.3hp gain and a 4 lb ft tq in a 2000 Eclipse GT. They did not have the extra 10hp and the VAI that mine does in that model, so I could probably expect slightly more.

Also, are there any other modifications that can improve power for around $100-$150 that I could do. I'm getting married at the end of the summer and I am trying to toy with the car a little bit but not blow my savings account.
Wait, does the variable intake system start before the intake manifold? In other words, is the stock airbox special? Also, how big and straight is the piping of your stock intake? If it's a variable intake box setup like the Nissan variable intake, you might be better off just with a k&n drop-in filter that replaces your stock air filter. I would check carreview.com for reviews of various intake components to see if they have any reviews by Eclipse Spyder owners :) .
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »