Checking oil

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Checking oil

Post by dklkse »

OK, I know this sounds like a totally idiotic newb-ish question, but recently one aspect of my perception of checking oil has been put into question...

I have been under the influence that the best time to check the oil level is when the engine is at operating temp., but when it has been off for a few minutes, so that the oil has a chance to settle/collect.
Today, I saw a coworker check his oil before he started his car for lunch (so it had been off for several hours...). He said he had always heard to check oil when the engine is cool.

So out of curiosity, I googled some info, and I got evenly mixed results...

What have you guys heard? Or does anyone have a definite answer?

*Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I tried a few forum searches and got nothing to this effect.*
G4M3JUNKY
Senior Standardshifter

Post by G4M3JUNKY »

when the engine is warmed up
2002 Honda Civic LX Coupe
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

i check mine when the engine is stone cold, after it's been sitting in the garage all night. here are my reasons why:

1> my dip stick has 3 marks on it: Low, Full, and a notch that represents full when hot.
2> oil expands when it is hot - it could read at the Full mark when hot but show low when cold.
3> every time i have checked it when it was hot it was well above the Full mark, i would check it again cold and it would be at Full or even a little low.
4> you're assured that all the oil has drained back into the pan to give an accurate reading.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

cold. the reading will not be accurate otherwise
papyrus
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Mazda3

Post by papyrus »

I've always heard warm never considered cold. I'm interested to see what others have to say.
from now on, we'll take 'here' to mean 'here i am, rock you like a hurricane.' mooninites ftw!
nuclear-toy
Junior Standardshifter

Post by nuclear-toy »

I too have always been told to check the oil when the engine is cold. Hey that method has yet to let me down! :)
That's what she said.
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

I wait till the engine is stone cold, like in the mornings or something. i idle the engine for 1-2 minutes. wait a minute, then take my measurment.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

JackBauer wrote:I wait till the engine is stone cold, like in the mornings or something. i idle the engine for 1-2 minutes. wait a minute, then take my measurment.
why the 1-2 minute idle?
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

LOl- i don't; my cousin was on the computer and he asked me"hey how do you check your oil, you start it up for a minute then let it sit for a few then check it right?" i wasn't in the mood for talking so i said 'yea huh' :lol:
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

I get my engine to operating temp, shut it off and wait 10 mins, then check it.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
ptcroozer
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ptcroozer »

JackBauer wrote:LOl- i don't; my cousin was on the computer and he asked me"hey how do you check your oil, you start it up for a minute then let it sit for a few then check it right?" i wasn't in the mood for talking so i said 'yea huh' :lol:
does your cousin always post using your screen name?
this is my regularly scheduled monthly post.
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

I don't think I've checked my oil in 20 years. Seems like a pretty low risk that a well maintained modern car would be leaking oil, and the engine computer is going to pick it up pretty quickly if something goes wrong.

I remember a time when there was an oil patch on every driveway and in every stall in a parking lot. You don't see that these days.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
Young Twig
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Young Twig »

JackBauer wrote:LOl- i don't; my cousin was on the computer and he asked me"hey how do you check your oil, you start it up for a minute then let it sit for a few then check it right?" i wasn't in the mood for talking so i said 'yea huh' :lol:
Hahahahaha... :lol:
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

Prodigal Son wrote:I don't think I've checked my oil in 20 years. Seems like a pretty low risk that a well maintained modern car would be leaking oil, and the engine computer is going to pick it up pretty quickly if something goes wrong.

I remember a time when there was an oil patch on every driveway and in every stall in a parking lot. You don't see that these days.
Seems like a bad idea. Many older cars leak oil, even those well maintained and running well, rubber gaskets wear out. I still see oil patchs all over the place.

Additionally, your car could be burning a small amount of oil, especially if you drive hard. Might not be enough to notice but over 5000 miles you could be down a quart.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

Prodigal Son wrote:I don't think I've checked my oil in 20 years. Seems like a pretty low risk that a well maintained modern car would be leaking oil, and the engine computer is going to pick it up pretty quickly if something goes wrong.

probably depends most on what car you drive. i checked the oil regularly in my corolla for the first couple of intervals and it never went down a drop, so i never checked again in 5 years. but turbo cars can tend to burn oil and older cars can leak or burn it. also the type of oil can play a role.

with your car and what i can gather of your driving style, you probably don't need to check your oil. my car and my driving.... i check it weekly, just to be sure.