Change the swear filters

About the forum and Standardshift.com.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Change the swear filters

Post by Leedeth »

Cmon, other forums simply put dashes in place of the characters, this forum changes the whole word.

Like this:

sh1t would become s---

fvck would become f---

Honestly, when a newcomer is reading a post they're not going to know wtf they posted that word. Why not simply censor it like so, that way they know it was a swear, and not some retarded random word that got spewed out.

Like this:

Quit man what the suck is happening, my posts don't make suck sense because these random words are in place of quit.

Would become this:

S--- man what the f--- is happening, my posts don't make f---ing sense because these random words are in place of s---.

I don't know about the other guys but this is precisely the reason I bypass the filters, because they change the word instead of simply blocking out letters. It changes the tone of whatever you're trying to get across.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Re: Change the swear filters

Post by hockeystyx16 »

or how about were not 5 on here we all cuss in our normal daily conversations we dont need swear filters
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

FOR EXAMPLE, argument happened here and guy got banned because he overreacted to his words being CHANGED.

It has since been corrected on that forum.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 35#p365535
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

roflcopter
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

hockeystyx16 wrote:we all cuss in our normal daily conversations
No we don't. We don't all drag our knuckles on the ground when we walk either.

What we really need around here, if we are to restore the level of discourse to what it used to be when I joined, is to automatically remove any post that contains profanity, and to ban anyone who successfully circumvents the filter.

God knows there are enough teenage hate boards out there on the net. We don't need this place to become another one, and it has been little else for a while now. It seems like most of the adults have already left the board. They will soon all be gone unless something is done to turn things around.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Actually, some of us hold normal civilized, adult conversations.

You would be shocked how much more favorably a typical adult (Especially bosses) will view you if every other word isn't a swear word.

So let me get this straight...You want the swear filter modified so it will be more obvious what word you really used and so that you will have one less reason not to use those words in the first place. Given the atmosphere the management has voiced their intent to try to maintain, I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb to guess they won't be thrilled with the idea.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

whilst i agree the board has become less technical and structured lately, i don't think banning everyone who says fvck is a good idea. I like the word filter actually.... quite humorous.

I like this forum because its laxed... anyone can get their opinion out w/o being instantly banned.
<3 fwd
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

i just thought of a wonderful idea.

make the swear filter take out the middle letters out of cuss words, so it looks like f**k or s**t, but have no filter in t3h whorz. that way we can cuss up a storm in there and virgin ears can stay the hell out and not be bothered
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

IMBoring25 wrote:Actually, some of us hold normal civilized, adult conversations.

You would be shocked how much more favorably a typical adult (Especially bosses) will view you if every other word isn't a swear word.

So let me get this straight...You want the swear filter modified so it will be more obvious what word you really used and so that you will have one less reason not to use those words in the first place. Given the atmosphere the management has voiced their intent to try to maintain, I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb to guess they won't be thrilled with the idea.
:roll:

You missed my point. If it were obvious what word I really used then I wouldn't have to bypass the filters.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Prodigal Son wrote:What we really need around here, if we are to restore the level of discourse to what it used to be when I joined, is to automatically remove any post that contains profanity, and to ban anyone who successfully circumvents the filter.
Sometimes in life, a swear is the only word that will work. So no, bad idea. Especially since a lot of posts with profanity also have some of the most useful information as well. Take Roman's tech posts, for example. Overall, however, I agree that swearing isnt really appropriate.

My thoughts:
Is there a way to have individual settings in the user control panel to shut off the filter for the viewing pleasure of member X?
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

hockeystyx16 wrote:i just thought of a wonderful idea.

make the swear filter take out the middle letters out of cuss words, so it looks like f**k or s**t, but have no filter in t3h whorz. that way we can cuss up a storm in there and virgin ears can stay the hell out and not be bothered
EDIT: man this is the 1st time i quoted myself just for the purpose of bumping my post to the bottom of the thread :lol:
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

I find SS to actually have a pretty humorous use of the swear filter.

In all seriousness, we have to get a few things straight here. Sure, a lot of people (not all, like some has mentioned) use profanity during casual conversations with friends/colleagues everyday. However, that does not mean you should do that here as well. Given that the atmosphere here is pretty laid back, the conversations that take place tend to have a casual feel to it; hence the swearing.

But you should not think of this place as the local pub. This board does have a purpose, and that is to provide a place for novice and professional manual drivers alike to discuss... driving. Drivers of any age, background, or upbringing. The administration of this board is required to maintain this purpose and atmosphere intact, and to ensure that anyone who visits would not be put off by disagreeable behavior of it's members. Sure, you could argue, "If they don't like it, don't read it," but they are not the ones breaking the rules. You are (the "you" encompasses all violators). You are lucky that you are still allowed to post here, as most boards would have banned you long ago. You are not free to "cuss up a storm" here.

I used to be part of the moderator team of a very large message board (GameFAQs/GameSpot boards, if you must know) and a lot of people become angry of our actions as a result of their behavior. They argue First Amendment this, and free speech that, but in actuality, you have signed away those rights by registering as a member of the message board. By registering, you are promising to abide by the rules that are set, or face whatever consequences the administration sees fit. The swear filters are there to enforce the rules.

Oh boy, my rambling has become quite long. Please feel free to skip.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

^ What's your point then? You're saying that rules are rules and they can never be changed...why not?
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

six wrote:I find SS to actually have a pretty humorous use of the swear filter.

In all seriousness, we have to get a few things straight here. Sure, a lot of people (not all, like some has mentioned) use profanity during casual conversations with friends/colleagues everyday. However, that does not mean you should do that here as well. Given that the atmosphere here is pretty laid back, the conversations that take place tend to have a casual feel to it; hence the swearing.

But you should not think of this place as the local pub. This board does have a purpose, and that is to provide a place for novice and professional manual drivers alike to discuss... driving. Drivers of any age, background, or upbringing. The administration of this board is required to maintain this purpose and atmosphere intact, and to ensure that anyone who visits would not be put off by disagreeable behavior of it's members. Sure, you could argue, "If they don't like it, don't read it," but they are not the ones breaking the rules. You are (the "you" encompasses all violators). You are lucky that you are still allowed to post here, as most boards would have banned you long ago. You are not free to "cuss up a storm" here.

I used to be part of the moderator team of a very large message board (GameFAQs/GameSpot boards, if you must know) and a lot of people become angry of our actions as a result of their behavior. They argue First Amendment this, and free speech that, but in actuality, you have signed away those rights by registering as a member of the message board. By registering, you are promising to abide by the rules that are set, or face whatever consequences the administration sees fit. The swear filters are there to enforce the rules.

Oh boy, my rambling has become quite long. Please feel free to skip.
You know what, I've just about fried my brain thinking up a response to this, so whatever flows out flows.

You were a mod on Gamespot? What a disaster that was. I was a regular on one of those user-created boards. Then lots of our regulars started getting banned, and it just fell apart. They've since moved to another forum. I checked a few minutes ago, there's a list of top posters, the 1st guy has 45,000 posts and the 5th has 21,500. So I know they're getting along fine, whatever didn't work on GS obviously got resolved at this new forum.

Why are we still here? Those who know how to shift and aren't mods. Am I right to say because of the community?

Off-topic is what keeps communities alive, if there wasn't any of that then it would be all formal, and yes we need formal discussions but we also need camaraderie. I can shoot off a random n00b ass question here and know I won't be banned, flamed, told to RTFM, or not even get a response at all. Because you guys care.

I'm a firm believer in democracy, the rules need to bend to the will of the people not the other way around. Otherwise you're just going to kill a community, or otherwise make them move somewhere else.

In a large community, usually dropping the banhammer hard and fast is the only way to maintain order. And usually the people who are idiots will always be idiots and won't actually contribute anything meaningful. But this is different, this is a small community and we can deal with things on a case to case basis, we have the time to do that.

Look at the MX-3.com thread I linked to for example. The banhammer in that case was dropped way too fast. The guy was a jackass, sure, but others have said that his posts were helpful.

Going off on a tangent here, but things are fine the way it is, we don't need more mods (lol Roman), because nothing escalates fast enough to the point that people are at each other's throats before the thread is locked, and that only happens occasionally.

I'm suggesting this change so that I won't have to bypass the filter anymore. So that nobody will have to bypass the filter. So that when people swear it makes sense what they wrote and not some random word which would only make sense to the regulars here.

Really, if you guys don't want to change it that's fine, we'll just carry on like always, I just want this done so I don't have to "break the rules" anymore.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

I'm all for the first amendment. I really am, but at the same time, think about it from a new user point of view. Someone wants to learn to drive a stick and finds the forum. They don't read the FAQ or watch the videos because, well, they're n00bs, give them a break. They start reading the forum and the questions asked, until they hit:
s**t man ur a mother f**king c**k faced retard! sticks f**king suck! go the f**k home and cry to your fat a** b****h of a whore and get the f**k out of my super fast f**king mustang's way!
Granted, we haven't had any trolls like that, but we could. We could also have heated flame wars on here where some people would lose all restraint and drop more f-bombs than Eddie Murphy stand up. And no matter what you may think, it will drive away potential new members as well as old member. And if it attracts new members, think about the kinds of members it will attract.

Swearing should never be essential in conversation. I'm sure everyone has, at some point, resorted to profanity (even if it wasn't profane to some people), but that should not be a focus when trying to discuss something. Especially in an environment where you can take your time, type exactly what you want to say, then review it before anyone ever hears it. The problem isn't that swearing is prohibited. The problem is most people don't think before they post. They just blah blah blah away.

But I will say this. If this forum could get it's profanity under control (myself included), I don't think there's a problem in reducing or eliminating the filter, because the occasional slip due to temper, anger, frustration, etc. would truly be occasional. Since that's not going to happen, it'll be this quit for life. :lol:
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted: