Change the swear filters

About the forum and Standardshift.com.
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Re: Change the swear filters

Post by Prodigal Son »

To me, the deterioration I have seen around here has less to do with profanity, though that is certainly a problem. The main problem is the amount of hatred and contempt for others that had become a regular part of the discourse. People used to respect each other's choice and preferences around here. We use to be able to discus the relative merits of different car and different driving styles with mutual respect. That does not happen anymore. The loudmouths shout down all such discussions with phrases like "wrong wheel drive".

One of the most prominent characteristics of an immature mind is the need to denigrate anything and anybody that does not match your own tastes. It divides the world into people-like-me and idiots. It is a case of building self esteem through hatred of everyone who is different. Most forums on the web are like this, as far as I can see. This one did not used to be, but has become so of late. If it is not brought under control soon, this will become just another teen hate line. That would be a shame.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I agree with your point, but I see it in a different light. As one of the younger members (to which you seem to be directing your post) I am very familiar with the mockery and fun-making that happens around here. It has nothing to do with forming a hierarchy or bullying, but rather it is merely part of the speech patterns of young adults. Not only is it not a power-gaining mechanism, but rather a power equalizer. It forms bonds. Look at any group of good friends in their 20s or 30s - even 50s or older - and you will notice a relatively steady flow of ribbing. It makes for a light atmosphere and cements friendly ties due to the lack of offence taken. Take the mother related conversations between Tony and myself. Even to an outsider they are quite clearly just for friendly fun and amusement. If I didnt consider the people on here to be my friends, I would never interact in such a way.

Now, that isnt to say that sometimes things get a bit out of hand, because there is no doubt that they can. But the heart and soul of this forum is still a bunch of people who love manual transmissions and want to spread the Gospel of the Stick in a lighthearted and friendly way.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Prodigal Son wrote:One of the most prominent characteristics of an immature mind is the need to denigrate anything and anybody that does not match your own tastes. It divides the world into people-like-me and idiots. It is a case of building self esteem through hatred of everyone who is different. Most forums on the web are like this, as far as I can see. This one did not used to be, but has become so of late. If it is not brought under control soon, this will become just another teen hate line. That would be a shame.
I don't think this division is unique to kids, though. I've known plenty of adults older than I am (30+) who share that mentality. In fact, I see it more commonly in adults than in kids. Kids do seem more vocal about it, though. But then kids are more vocal about everything. :)

I also agree with what Watkins says about the ribbing. I'm not offended, in the slightest, by the fact that I drive a 'wrong wheel drive' car. Or a chick car. Or any other derogatory term. I just take it as a gentle ribbing, roll my eyes, and grin a bit.
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

I chose the phrase "immature minds" deliberately because I did not mean to single out kids. There are kids with mature minds and adults with immature minds. The thing is, where immature minds are allowed free reign to shout their hatred, they make it impossible for those with mature minds to hold a mature conversation. That is what is happening here.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I tend to agree with watkins and nychold on this one, as well. Terms like "wrong wheel drive" don't even strike me as something that I should be offended at. When Roman uses the terms it's used in context and not applied to everyone with FWD car. It's used to point out that a FWD car may not be best suited for the application being discussed. Since it doesn't apply to me, it doesn't matter.

A little ribbing is always good, as long as it's within limits. I don't think that anyone has crossed any boundaries yet, and it's unlikely they will. We are pretty civilized here, no matter what some may say. I've seen much worse. We can still have a good discussion and we are still technical when it comes to the intention of the board. I don't really agree with PS when he mentioned that his site is biased for teenage hatred. Not at all.

I am a proponent of the swear filter - let it be. THis is the first board, however that I saw a filter on. None of my off-road boards were ever filtered. This included 30k+ member boards. I understand why some members leave, and I see their side. However, they would leave all that much faster from most other boards out there as well. We don't bash one another here and we respect other people's opinions even if we don't aree. I don't see people name calling others because they do or do not use the handbrake at stoplights, do you? I have seen stupid stuff like that escalate much further on ther boards.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

WTF? I had no idea that Roman was killing all discussion about FWD cars by saying wrong wheel drive. I think he's just trying to drive a point home, because really, it IS wrong wheel drive if you're thinking in a performance context.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

it is wrong wheel drive because its just not logical. you got 4 wheels on the car, make the fronts steer and backs push. thats logical, it just makes sense that way. now make the fronts steer and push, and make the backs just tag along for the ride. nowhere near as logical. its inferior technology thats done simply because its cheaper to built a car that way
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

hockeystyx16 wrote:it is wrong wheel drive because its just not logical. you got 4 wheels on the car, make the fronts steer and backs push. thats logical, it just makes sense that way. now make the fronts steer and push, and make the backs just tag along for the ride. nowhere near as logical. its inferior technology thats done simply because its cheaper to built a car that way
It's not cheaper. It's also more expensive to replace clutch/tranny in a FWD rather than rear. It's made this way for ease of driving for the average driver. FWD is easier in snow (easier to pull than push) and understeer is more predictable and easier to deal with for an average driver rather than understeer.

For 90% of people out there FWD is prefectly logical for every day driving. Think about it. How many people push their car to the limits at the track on daily basis?

You are out there completely on this one so I had to point it out.

I didn't mean to get off topic here.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

No it IS cheaper. Cheaper initial cost. Also since it costs more to service, that benefits dealers down the road. And since it costs more to service, more cars are going to get taken off the road because of that and more new cars are going to be purchased.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_layout
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

yea thats what i meant, it costs less money for them to build a FWD because unlike a RWD which has to deal with the torque twisting the entire lenth of the car, thus needing the extra structural rigidity (and more money) so that it doesnt turn into a pretzel, a front wheel drive only needs a rigid front subframe because theres no torque transfered the length of the car.

and its more expensive to service so dealers bring more money back to the manufacturers from fixing FWDs. its a business win win for the car complanies, they dont spend as much making the car and they get more back from fixing those cars
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

^ Not to mention the need for a rear differential and a driveshaft.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

is this seriously a thread....
FREE ROMAN!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

FWD reduces weight, by having less weight in drivetrain parts as well as requiring less structure. It also reduces the requirement for a hump in the center of the floor, allowing more interior space (meaningless for the front seat in modern cars which all have a huge center console, but still applies to the back seat). I still prefer to drive RWD.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

this thread is the definition of SS. started out with people complaining about reading swear words and now were arguing about FWD vs RWD
:lol:
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

hockeystyx16 wrote:this thread is the definition of SS. started out with people complaining about reading swear words and now were arguing about FWD vs RWD
:lol:
LOL +1. It should be a sticky, so newcomers know what to expect :lol: .
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.