Custom titles.

About the forum and Standardshift.com.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Re: Custom titles.

Post by Leedeth »

If you want me to set it all up then I will. I have the time. But the problem with that is I'll need admin access lol. :( And a lot of how-to and walkthroughs on how to set that stuffs up.

Also I'm pretty pissed right now because some asshole on this other site is being a douche and not talking to us, he just sits there doing nothing, and doesn't update the site, which caused it to be hacked. Then he wouldn't put a backup on for 6 months, and we also lost about 6 months of shit because its an old backup. Yeah. Assholes that don't care.

If you guys are going to just let SS die, and really, look at it, it's dying slowly, nobody new is coming here, everybody who goes to the home page is obviously just thrown away from it because its not giving much info.

For one thing, the text is too small. That's problem number 1 on the home page.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Leedeth wrote:But nobody's doing shit to make it happen.
Get started. Make some content. Once there's content, post it in a FAQ thread or start your own. When you see that someone needs it, post a link. If it's really good, others will post links to it too.

That's my MO in places where it's needed, but it's really not that bad here. I've showed up to forums that needed it badly and really turned them around by doing that. I've collected the info in a post to reference, or on a webpage. The hard part is usually paying attention and keeping the info up-to-date; here it's not so bad since the info doesn't change much.
Leedeth wrote:If you want me to set it all up then I will. I have the time. But the problem with that is I'll need admin access lol. :( And a lot of how-to and walkthroughs on how to set that stuffs up.
Not necessary. Put a link to your FAQ thread, or to a post containing links to your many FAQ threads, in your sig. Again, if it's really good, others will do the same.
we also lost about 6 months of shit because its an old backup.
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
If you guys are going to just let SS die, and really, look at it, it's dying slowly, nobody new is coming here,
We get plenty of new users.
everybody who goes to the home page is obviously just thrown away from it because its not giving much info.
I've never seen the home page until you mentioned it just now. I think most people probably arrive here via google results that take them to the forum, and they see the discussions they want on the forum.
For one thing, the text is too small. That's problem number 1 on the home page.
Looks fine to me.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

Leedeth wrote:nobody new is coming here
BS
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

mtheis wrote:
Leedeth wrote:nobody new is coming here
BS
+1
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:
everybody who goes to the home page is obviously just thrown away from it because its not giving much info.
I've never seen the home page until you mentioned it just now. I think most people probably arrive here via google results that take them to the forum, and they see the discussions they want on the forum
I certainly did. The homepage is rather useless anyway though
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

theholycow wrote:
we also lost about 6 months of shit because its an old backup.
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
That only works for snapshots of home pages. Anything more, like videos, or pictures, not on the home page, are not saved at all.

And it was a figure of speech guys, we get a few new people here and there, but we don't get much at all to build a larger community. It's going to stay about the same size with the rate old people are leaving and not posting.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

There's not much to keep people here, they come for standardshifting advice, get it, then leave. The Fiero forum I go to is much more lively and its over twice as old, I think its just the base community here that's a turn-off to some people. No one wants to feel like an outsider, with a central clique controlling all the major topics on the board. On the Fiero forum I talked about, there's several "micro-communities", each about the size of the 1 major community here on SS. All of the micro communities contribute to a much larger one, and that larger one encompasses the smaller communities and individuals that don't have cliques. Here on SS, all I see is a single community that works to stay exclusive by reinforcing the close-knit relationships that have already developed. Our main community used to be similar to the Fiero forum's in that it was open to everyone and not specifically linked to any person or group of people, since the meet it seems like SS has changed from "A Community of Standardshifters" to "A Community of Tony, Aaron, Kelly, Watkins, and Friends".

F*cking prove that isn't true.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

You're just bitter about something. What that is, I don't know. You keep mentioning this "clique" way too much, so it's obviously bugging you. Nothing would change if I left this site tomorrow.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

What the hell do you mean nothing would change? A whole shit load of things would change if you just left and never came back.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

No, ultimately not. While we all do influence this site in one way or another, the general direction can hardly be affected by a few individuals leaving. There will always be people there to replace them. We all miss those members that have gone and have contributed but I do not believe they influenced the site with their leaving. The site influenced them instead.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

AHTOXA wrote:No, ultimately not. While we all do influence this site in one way or another, the general direction can hardly be affected by a few individuals leaving. There will always be people there to replace them. We all miss those members that have gone and have contributed but I do not believe they influenced the site with their leaving. The site influenced them instead.
That would be correct. No matter the humor or the awesome content, on a manual transmission forum what matters most is experience and insight, which is why I miss PS so much. He usually hit the noob questions with a dead-on accurate answer before anybody had the chance to. Experience, insight, and from time to time, he made a funny.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Custom Titles?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Image
Custom Titles?
"Who is Dolly Parton?"
"No, Mr. Connery, it's 'titles', 'famous titles'."
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Image
You have just combined two of God's greatest inventions. I applaud you, sir.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

comingbackdown wrote: "Who is Dolly Parton?"
"No, Mr. Connery, it's 'titles', 'famous titles'."
LOL

did anyone else notice those nasty pits?
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT