The "Buying Guide" in the navigation bar

About the forum and Standardshift.com.
nothfx
Senior Standardshifter

The "Buying Guide" in the navigation bar

Post by nothfx »

Hasn't worked for approximately a year looks like..

2008 Buying Guide and additional tools will be online come early fall. For now, here's a feed of manual transmission used cars available in the US:

Might want to put something like this in its place - I know I clicked that link when I first came here (several years ago :O)

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/ar ... ticle.html
2006 Chevy Cobalt Coupe LS 5MT
2003 Ford Mustang GT 5MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: The "Buying Guide" in the navigation bar

Post by theholycow »

That's an interesting link. It's got a couple problems, though...
In the past, most manuals offered about a 5 percent improvement in fuel economy, the byproduct of the direct-drive transmission. {...} While an automatic version of a car has a fuel economy advantage in the city, the manual version has the advantage on the highway.
My observation has been the opposite, and logically it adds up to the oppposite. Automatics have a taller highway gear, and on the highway they have "direct drive" too because their torque converters lock up.

Then they go on about driving style very correctly, even mentioning that automatics can coast to the traffic light in neutral just as well as manuals can but the drivers don't want to. Then it's this:
Cars with manual transmissions also offer better control when driving because they have a faster shift response, and allow the driver to access extra power by downshifting on inclines. {...} A manual transmission also lets you downshift to use the engine to slow the car down, though this is generally not recommended because it accelerates the amount of wear on the clutch.
Automatics can do those things just as well as manuals, and automatic drivers should do those things just as often as manual drivers. As for faster response, modern automatics are very jumpy; you barely touch the gas pedal and they downshift to 2nd faster than a manual driver can shove the clutch to the floor...the hard part is getting them to NOT downshift.

The article barely touches on the manual's true advantages in driving fun, direct control of fuel economy and power, and the details/importance of long term cost.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
nothfx
Senior Standardshifter

Post by nothfx »

It was actually surprisingly hard to find an article detailing the advantages of buying a manual over an automatic car - this was the best I could come up with.

Another option would be just putting up a document created by someone on SS, the downside there is that someone actually has to create it, and make it concise but informative. If someone wants to create one and post it up, I'm sure that we wouldn't have a problem reviewing/suggesting revisions for it.
2006 Chevy Cobalt Coupe LS 5MT
2003 Ford Mustang GT 5MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Hah...if I made it, it would NOT be concise.

This is probably my most concise post of the day by far.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Ill submit an attempt:

MANUALS R BETTAR! F*CK AUTOTRAGICS!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!1!!!!one!!!!!!! DONT BUY ONE BUY A STICK!

Can that be the buying guide?
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

ill vote for ya
the dumblonde
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Ouback 2.5 XT Limited

Post by the dumblonde »

watkins wrote:Ill submit an attempt:

MANUALS R BETTAR! F*CK AUTOTRAGICS!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!1!!!!one!!!!!!! DONT BUY ONE BUY A STICK!

Can that be the buying guide?

Yes.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

theholycow wrote:That's an interesting link. It's got a couple problems, though...
In the past, most manuals offered about a 5 percent improvement in fuel economy, the byproduct of the direct-drive transmission. {...} While an automatic version of a car has a fuel economy advantage in the city, the manual version has the advantage on the highway.
My observation has been the opposite, and logically it adds up to the oppposite. Automatics have a taller highway gear, and on the highway they have "direct drive" too because their torque converters lock up.

Then they go on about driving style very correctly, even mentioning that automatics can coast to the traffic light in neutral just as well as manuals can but the drivers don't want to. Then it's this:
Cars with manual transmissions also offer better control when driving because they have a faster shift response, and allow the driver to access extra power by downshifting on inclines. {...} A manual transmission also lets you downshift to use the engine to slow the car down, though this is generally not recommended because it accelerates the amount of wear on the clutch.
Automatics can do those things just as well as manuals, and automatic drivers should do those things just as often as manual drivers. As for faster response, modern automatics are very jumpy; you barely touch the gas pedal and they downshift to 2nd faster than a manual driver can shove the clutch to the floor...the hard part is getting them to NOT downshift.

The article barely touches on the manual's true advantages in driving fun, direct control of fuel economy and power, and the details/importance of long term cost.
...And it has more inaccuracies... "Downshifting to use the engine to slow the car down" is a non-issue as far as clutch wear, IF you REV-MATCH.

+1 vote for watkins buying guide.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

NECROTHREAD!!!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon