Errors...

About the forum and Standardshift.com.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

i was surfing standardshift via cell phone the otherday, and i got a 502 error....:(
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
DeHackEd
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DeHackEd »

They're back. I got one (500 ISE) earlier today and general lag accessing pages sometimes.
2013 Mazda 3
Driving stick since mid-`07
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2013 Ford Fiesta

Post by comingbackdown »

I got blasted with like, ten of them yesterday or day before... Ten in a row. Every page I opened, *WHAM!* 500 ISE...
2013 Ford Fiesta + a bike and a land yacht which are in pieces.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

comingbackdown wrote:I got blasted with like, ten of them yesterday or day before... Ten in a row. Every page I opened, *WHAM!* 500 ISE...

*points and laughs* :twisted: sry.

haven't gotten any 550ISE's today...thankfully!
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Thet'iko Nexaris
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2002 Honda Civic

Post by Thet'iko Nexaris »

Still getting lots of 500 errors.
2002 Honda Civic EX
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

Set up some kind of error 500 reporting?

500 Errors can be caused by any part of the PHP script D:
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2013 Ford Fiesta

Post by comingbackdown »

I got slammed with them last night. About 5-8 page refreshes did the trick...
2013 Ford Fiesta + a bike and a land yacht which are in pieces.
DeHackEd
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DeHackEd »

The cause is most likely PHP not responding to the web server's request for a page load. When scripts don't behave, you get 500 ISE errors.

Two things I want to say. The first is that refreshing frequently is probably the worst thing you could do. The site is probably under some kind of heavy load and refreshing is only making things worse. Secondly, the Search button on the top is back to PHP's normal operation.

Not knowing about the details of the hosting back end, it could be another site hosted on the same machine ruining things for everybody.
2013 Mazda 3
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

DeHackEd wrote:The cause is most likely PHP not responding to the web server's request for a page load. When scripts don't behave, you get 500 ISE errors.

Two things I want to say. The first is that refreshing frequently is probably the worst thing you could do. The site is probably under some kind of heavy load and refreshing is only making things worse. Secondly, the Search button on the top is back to PHP's normal operation.

Not knowing about the details of the hosting back end, it could be another site hosted on the same machine ruining things for everybody.
Yeah but it can be ANY number of things, hence 500 error logs is going to be a must. Of course PHPBB is known for it's wonderful error handling and utmost ability to handle heavy loads.
black94boost
Master Standardshifter

Post by black94boost »

vBulletin is a good php forum. Maybe an upgrade in the future? 8)
What'cha gonna do when we come for you?
DeHackEd
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DeHackEd »

vBulletin isn't cheap, as I hear it. phpBB may be the bomb (and I mean that in a bad way) but the price is right.

The thing about logging 500 errors is it won't do you any good. The PHP is doing its job as best it can. Something's holding it back. The only way to be sure is to put tracers into the code to report its progress and see where it jams. And on a fully working and busy site like, say, this one, that's gonna cause more problems than it solves.

Can't think of a good reason for what's going wrong if SHOW FULL PROCESSLIST comes up empty, except for my previous Bad Neighbour theory.
2013 Mazda 3
black94boost
Master Standardshifter

Post by black94boost »

phpBB is free for personal use I think. At least, for me it is. vB is like $179-200 for personal use and more for commercial. Although, there are ways to get vB for free.... :twisted: I'm not too familiar with php/mySQL. I'm more of a CGI/Perl guy.
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

black94boost wrote:phpBB is free for personal use I think. At least, for me it is. vB is like $179-200 for personal use and more for commercial. Although, there are ways to get vB for free.... :twisted: I'm not too familiar with php/mySQL. I'm more of a CGI/Perl guy.
CGI/Perl! This isn't the 90's anymore buddy!

hehehe just kidding :lol:
black94boost
Master Standardshifter

Post by black94boost »

NonChalant wrote:CGI/Perl! This isn't the 90's anymore buddy!

Being a poor and cheap high school student, I only had free webhosts. And most free webhosts don't give you free mysql servers, so I couldn't/didn't want to learn it. And besides, I kind of taught myself some CGI/Perl, and I still use it, but not very much. I have since found a free host with php/mysql!!! 8) And now, I'm probably way too old for my brain to absorb material on php/mysql.
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

DeHackEd wrote:vBulletin isn't cheap, as I hear it. phpBB may be the bomb (and I mean that in a bad way) but the price is right.

The thing about logging 500 errors is it won't do you any good. The PHP is doing its job as best it can. Something's holding it back. The only way to be sure is to put tracers into the code to report its progress and see where it jams. And on a fully working and busy site like, say, this one, that's gonna cause more problems than it solves.

Can't think of a good reason for what's going wrong if SHOW FULL PROCESSLIST comes up empty, except for my previous Bad Neighbour theory.
A full 500 error log should show the PHP file that caused the error, and the error that the PHP process threw (to be more exact, PHP4 doesn't really 'throw' errors, but you get the idea), much like running PHP files with error reporting on, or on a local machine, except it wont display possible security risks or exploits to the public.

Writing tracers for someone else's software thats thousands of lines of code would be a nightmare. I'd rather let the webserver log do it's job. :P
black94boost wrote:phpBB is free for personal use I think. At least, for me it is. vB is like $179-200 for personal use and more for commercial. Although, there are ways to get vB for free.... :twisted: I'm not too familiar with php/mySQL. I'm more of a CGI/Perl guy.
PHPBB is free no matter what you use it for.

Maybe we can try SMF, it's free and I think it's better for high load boards. We can also try PHPBB 3, however I'm seeing HUGE load times on my server compared to IPB (pay for board, $150).
NonChalant wrote:
CGI/Perl! This isn't the 90's anymore buddy!

Alas I want to kind of learn CGI/Perl, it's more powerful and efficient than PHP apparently. However writing software and trying to distribute it and make it flexible and modular in a language almost no one uses is kind of difficult. :(