Under-categorization

About the forum and Standardshift.com.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Under-categorization

Post by Leedeth »

Haha, I was just about to post this in another topic...and I know this is bad timing on my part, but it got me thinking: http://www.standardshift.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9077

First of all, thank you to all the moderators. I know that you all read every post, and use your moderating powers only to change really offensive comments.

I have been noticing that almost all of the threads have been going off topic lately, and that is probably acceptable as they are mostly under the General section of the forums. But the search function of the forum isn't good...there is no way to search only the topic title, so it's just as bad as sifting through the whole forum sub-section. Doing that is very time consuming as well, as there is 1500 threads each in 3 sub-forums.

There is a such thing as under-categorization, and this forum fits that description. The problem is that all of the topics are being lumped into 3 sub-forums, but that isn't good enough concerning the amount of threads they already contain, and the amount that is being created in them. 1500 threads is way too many to search through to find a lost thread from years ago.

There is also the problem of user categorization. Half of the threads that should be put in Parts and Problems is placed in Tranny Talk. And Roman (aka hockeystyx16) posts a lot of great info in the misc. thread, which is impossible to find again....(yeah I should've shot off a PM but I forgot the system exists)

I understand that people may be too lazy to check all of the sub-forums, but at the top right there is a "View posts since last visit" option which does away with a lot of clicking. I have been using this option for months, and I recommend it.

Guys, fix this. Please. :!:
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

+1
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Standardshifter has a new search engine in the works - not sure on his progress, but hopefully things are coming along. I'll get back with more news soon.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar