FS: 1991 Pontiac Firebird $2000 [SOLD]

Car parts or cars up for sale
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Re: FS: 1991 Pontiac Firebird $2000

Post by eggwich delfiero »

Sorry if I came off harsh dude, I should've figured you were using other avenues than just standardshift. And it's a tough time for selling cars, new cars, old cars, classic cars, whatever, so don't be discouraged if it takes a while.

That said, I just checked out your ebay listing and your car looks pretty badass. I'm sure you have your reasons for selling it but man, I like it.

I just googled the VIN to learn more about it and came across yourblog too. Gotta say, I like your old MX-3 too :P

Good luck with the sale!
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Post by mad_finn »

with that price... if the car would be here... I wouldent think anymore, I would buy it... but shipping corts would be too much for me :?

those cost like 5000€+ here and those are prices of the V6 models. or those wich have been modded to be pickups :(
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

I'm serious guys, I want to sell it. I'm getting desperate now. I need the money, and I'm actually tired of this car now. I still want that GTO eventually when I can afford it tho.

It doesn't have enough power and doesn't feel fast enough. And it's too loud. I don't like attracting attention to myself.

I bought this car because I wanted something cheap and fast, and as reliable as possible, but mainly just cheap and fast. I didn't think about going turbo because those cars are way more expensive, and compared to N/A, need more maintenance. So I decided to go with N/A and the biggest engine possible.

And now, WTF craigslist? Why is nobody giving me reasonable offers? Am I the only person in the area that ever wanted this car?

What I really hate about this car is that it's not practical at all. The trunk is way too small to fit much in there, and there's no goddamn cupholders!

It's always the little things that piss you off the most. No cupholders...what the f**k?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Leedeth wrote:And now, WTF craigslist? Why is nobody giving me reasonable offers? Am I the only person in the area that ever wanted this car?
eggwich delfiero is right, it's a tough time to sell cars. I got bored and looked for beaters on craigslist yesterday...I saw cars that I might expect to pay $3000 for, priced at $800. Cars that have no visual defects and are claimed to run properly, are nice and shiny, not too old...

Nice time to buy a cheap car, though. I wish I could get out of my VW lease early.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Leedeth wrote:I didn't think about going turbo because those cars are way more expensive, and compared to N/A, need more maintenance.
This is incorrect.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:
Leedeth wrote:I didn't think about going turbo because those cars are way more expensive, and compared to N/A, need more maintenance.
This is incorrect.
Well, they don't give turbos away for free, the increased power output creates increased thermal and mechanical stresses that have to be dealt with in the design of the vehicle (intercoolers, oil coolers, piston cooling oil sprayers, higher capacity clutches, driveshafts, engine mounts, transmissions, radiators, etc.) and most often with increased maintenance needs (if nothing else, the engine oil change intervals are usually reduced) and maybe somewhere down the line turbo rebuild or replacement and a new head gasket. For large power increases from the same base engine, the turbo may be cheaper than getting to the same power level by taking the N.A. route (and will likely have a "fatter" torque curve), but overall it might be cheaper to go with a bigger engine than to turbo a smaller engine. Consider a 3.0L V-6 with variable displacement (cylinder cut-out) vs 2.0L turbo I4. V-6 would be cheaper to produce, with maybe better fuel mileage (depending on the duty cycle of course - your mileage may vary), a nicer exhaust note, less NVH, and lower-stressed.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Point is that a turbo car can be purchased for less than large displacement and will almost always be cheaper to run day to day (fuel economy). Turbo failure isnt all that common, and relatively inexpensive to replace. Any reputable turbo vehicle will also have a well-build sturdy engine that wont be a legitimate cause for concern.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I stand behind my previous post that turbo motors are expensive to build compared to 50% larger NA motor. With cylinder deactivation larger NA motor can be just as economical. In fact, they can be more economical at high-speed cruise, where turbo motors often use fuel mixture enrichment to cool the pistons and exhaust valves. Turbos are NOT cheap to replace and the bearings and seals DO fail.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

I can at any given time get a lead on at least 5 same size or larger turbos in good shape or better for under $300.

I love cylinder deactivation. I wish it was more practical and more vehicles used it. I still prefer the turbo method of MOAR POWAR! with fuel economy though. 30+ mpg when cruising just over 80mph is damn nice. 35ish mpg at about 65mph is nothing to complain about.

The thing that makes turbos so amazing though is how they impact the torque curve. Even variable valve timing and those other magical methods cant compete with they plateau of torque a well thought out turbo engine will put out.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

and thats why VVT+turbo=teh shit
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Tummy, buying a $300 turbo would be like buying a used head gasket. I'll give you points (and condenser!) for the torque curve, although the torque curve of a 50% bigger engine is no slouch in itself, especially just off idle, if you cede to me turbo lag, trailer towing limitations and cost. What also surprised me about turbo versions of vehicles is how much weight they gain. By the time you beef up the drivetrain and cooling systems and throw in the weight of the turbo and intercooler, they are about the same weight as for larger N.A. engined vehicles.
One of the best reasons to use a turbo is if to stay under a displacement limit for vehicle taxation, but if the whole purpose of the displacement-based tax system is to encourage higher fuel mileage, then fuel mileage itself should be the taxation criteria, since there are more ways than 1 to achieve higher fuel mileage.
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

I agree with the rope guy. If the world was filled with quality turbochargers for $300, I'd have four of them. Of course, I'd still have to buy the plumbing and intercoolers and whatever, but crap, at that price who cares?
I don't really know much about turbos besides in regard to Mustangs, but a new full turbo kit with all the accessories for a foxbody Mustang is near three grand, and for an S197 is near five grand. Would be fun though. LIke I said, I don't know the prices for smaller turbos.

Remember when this thread was about a Firebird? Standardshift should be renamed threadjack.org.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

eggwich delfiero wrote:I agree with the rope guy. If the world was filled with quality turbochargers for $300, I'd have four of them. Of course, I'd still have to buy the plumbing and intercoolers and whatever, but crap, at that price who cares?
I don't really know much about turbos besides in regard to Mustangs, but a new full turbo kit with all the accessories for a foxbody Mustang is near three grand, and for an S197 is near five grand. Would be fun though. LIke I said, I don't know the prices for smaller turbos.

Remember when this thread was about a Firebird? Standardshift should be renamed threadjack.org.
Go read the car jacking thread - there is only one entry about car jacking!
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

I sold it! I f**k sold it!

For $2000.

He wanted me to drop it to $1800 but I said no.

In your face people who think it's not worth $2000!
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Re: FS: 1991 Pontiac Firebird $2000 [SOLD]

Post by six »

Congratulations! :D
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT