Attention all Viggen shoppers... (updated 10/08/09)

Car parts or cars up for sale
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Attention all Viggen shoppers...

Post by watkins »

I was rather enjoying this tale of yours. Write more!
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Oh, crap! Just realized I left this thread hangin'. Thanks for the bump :). Will write the next part after I finish this Forza marathon.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Marathon over yet?
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

Still playing!

Actually, had a pretty busy weekend out of nowhere; and it's been busier in the office than it usually is - so there isn't as much time to write during the day.

It's coming though. Promise!
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

you've been playing forza for 2+ days...?
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

Hehe, no... I just haven't given myself enough time to sit down and write the next installment. I'll try for another few hundred words at lunch today.

EDIT: But I did blast through all the exhibition races in Arcade mode the other night... opened up like 50 cars!
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

(continued from above)

On the road, the 9-3 was constantly attentive to my needs. If I were out on a lazy highway cruise, I'd just have a sensation of motion. No engine noise, no activity to speak of besides the stream of telemetry being presented to me by the uniquely-designed instrument cluster and Information Display. A perfectly sedate and composed ride that proudly returned me over 40mpg at highway speeds. But the instant I asked her to awaken from this hypnagogic lull, she did so enthusiastically. The engine announced her presence with a growl, and a firm pressure on my back confirmed receipt of message.

This car was designed for highway passing maneuvers. From any speed. It doesn't matter whether you're overtaking someone at 55mph or 95mph. You can leave her in 5th, gun it, and not find a place where she'll be out of breath.

And the only feeling more unnerving than intense acceleration is persistence of acceleration.

Flooring the pedal in a 9-3 (and to a greater extent, in a 9-3 SE and to an absurd extent, in a Viggen) in top gear at highway speeds yields a strange response. You feel yourself rushing forward very quickly, and as you sit back and appreciate this feeling, the moment arrives when you notice that you haven't stopped accelerating in some time. Hell, you haven't even slowed the rate of acceleration. Traffic conditions and nerves tend to put a stop to things before the car ever would.

This is impressive in any sporting vehicle, but is especially so in one that's carrying so many amenities along for the ride. Carla's seats were basic but pleasant, but Carmen's seats are straight out of a rich man's dreams: cushy soft leather that smells creamy sweet and holds you comfortably for miles and for hours. The four hour drive to Las Vegas is completed without the need to stop and stretch. Exiting at the end of the journey is not a relief, but is instead an annoyance that your time in that place of comfort has been interrupted by the business of getting on with your vacation...

(to be continued)
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Re: Attention all Viggen shoppers... (updated 9/22/09)

Post by LHOswald »

im getting the feeling that you either took these "reviews" from somewhere, or you should be a writer for your day job
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

The Saab community is a little more well-educated than your average vehicle-loving group.
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

Aww! My feelings can only be summed up by :oops: :P :lol: 8) :wink: :mrgreen: :o :D

I'm a writer in my secret life. If you really wanna punish yourself, here's a story I wrote a few years back: http://drycereal.blogspot.com/2004/09/illusory.html

EDIT: it's not shameless self-promotion if I'm not making money on it, right? Just wanted to prove that I am writing this review... you'll see the same writing style and other evidence that the linked story is also my content :P
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I am totally following this. MOAR
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

Hopefully more at lunch today! I'm flying to NY tonight, so I have to run a few errands and get things taken care of before I go... but I think I'll have time :)

EDIT: scratch that. Coworker's birthday is tomorrow, I'm missing it, so we're hitting up a restaurant today. I'll hit it up in the next day or two, promise!
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

Traditionally, one doesn't think of a European sports car as a good highway cruiser. Interesting...
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Saabs are the best highway cruisers out there.
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

Haven't forgotten about this thread; just been busy since this past Friday, being a pirate all weekend and whatnot. Next installment tomorrow perhaps!