exhaust system

Car parts you want to buy
stott150
Junior Standardshifter

exhaust system

Post by stott150 »

ok i have a 1997 ford F150 V6 4.2 L i want to get a system for it thatle make it sound mean with a deep tone any recomendations? i was thinkin somthing along the lines with flow masters.
Last edited by stott150 on Wed May 04, 2005 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
algorhythm
Junior Standardshifter

Post by algorhythm »

Pick a real car?
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Post by jcprov21 »

IMHO flowmaster is the best in the biz, my uncle upgraded his durango with a flowmaster system. It sounds bad a$$....
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Just get a custom exhaust fabricated by a local shop. They can bend and weld any setup you want, usually for cheaper than a brand name exhaust.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

algorhythm wrote:Pick a real car?
He could toss that suggestion right back at you.
algorhythm
Junior Standardshifter

Post by algorhythm »

Sorry, I don't think people should drive trucks unless they're in commercial business.. and I doubt he is if he wants a loud exhaust.
Juba310
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Juba310 »

I dont like big trucks/suvs either... low gas mileage and a lot of the people that drive them are jerks...

I don't know a whole lot about f150s, but they dont come with a manual tranny do they? Seems odd he'd be asking about it on this type of forum. Correct me if im wrong though.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

I drove a manual F-150 for Habitat for Humanity a few years ago. I'm pretty sure they still come with a stick.

As for cars vs. trucks, as long as you utilize the purpose of having a truck, I don't hold it against you.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
stott150
Junior Standardshifter

Post by stott150 »

it is a manual and i bought it becaus a car wont due for what i need i want to be able to haul a boat around that is why i got it. lol u guys dont like truks huh. o and as for the jerk part id like to think im not one but u guys will have to be the judge of that. thanks for the suggestions guys and if any one els has one pleas post them.
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

stott150 wrote:it is a manual and i bought it becaus a car wont due for what i need i want to be able to haul a boat around that is why i got it. lol u guys dont like truks huh. o and as for the jerk part id like to think im not one but u guys will have to be the judge of that. thanks for the suggestions guys and if any one els has one pleas post them.
On the topic of exhaust, I'd go custom, just like LS1leader said. Its cheaper and you can get exactly what you are looking for without copying a brand new sound.

That said, go to a reputable garage before you do this, as you don't want your truck to sound like a riced-up Honda. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
stott150
Junior Standardshifter

Post by stott150 »

lol

yha i dont think id want it sounding like that. so custom exhaust would be the best way to go than.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Hey, what's wrong w/ Honda? Ferrari tuned their V8s to sound like a high reving 4 cylinder because it improves breathing. That rumbling may be pleasing to your ears, but it reduces fuel efficiency.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

I agree w/ most people here, I'm not a truck person, and I think their handling is atrocious by nature, but there's a reasons trucks were made in the first place, and as long as you use it for its purpose and have the right mindset (ex: Dodge Hemi truck owners often don't, they think their car is fast as sh*t when it's not), it's cool with me.

I'm more anti-SUV than I am anti-truck, because way too many of those things haven't been driven on anything besides concrete.

scionkid, do you have a source to prove that Ferraris are tuned that way to improve breathing? I thought it was to get a more exotic sound (I prefer a sharp intake sound vs. a nice exhaust note). Tuning an exhaust for pure performance will not be related to the sound it makes... So good flowing exhausts can sound deep or tinny, and still make the same power. And the deep rumbling sound does not hurt fuel efficiency as far as I know, unless you're talking about the fact that it makes more power with an aftermarket exhaust.
stott150
Junior Standardshifter

Post by stott150 »

the flow masters improve gass milage and hourse power so im not getting it just because its a deep rumbling sounde. its actualy better than what i have now. and like i said i needed it to haul my boat and posible my dads trailer from time to time. and the flow masters would improve the quality of the trucks performance.

and as for handling, im not looking to race it. sure it would be fun to have somthing to race in but u cant get everything. it was eaither a truck so i can go fishing or a car so i can race and such. and so i got the truck lol and u all hate me for it lol jk :D
Last edited by stott150 on Thu May 05, 2005 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

scionkid wrote:Hey, what's wrong w/ Honda? Ferrari tuned their V8s to sound like a high reving 4 cylinder because it improves breathing. That rumbling may be pleasing to your ears, but it reduces fuel efficiency.
Nothing is wrong with a stock Honda exhaust. I detest those buzzcans kids put on their cars so they can be more like Paul Walker in 2Fast2Furious.

And most of those cars? Automatics. Grr. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636