exhaust system

Car parts you want to buy
ToyotaGuy88
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ToyotaGuy88 »

I feel you buddy, im not much of a car person, and my SUV has been plently of other places than just on the road, I got it stuck in the mud a while back :D. I have flowmasters on the 4Runner and it sounds great but i had to get them put on custom cause they didnt make them for my truck. It sounds tough but i dont notice any change in gas mileage or power, it just sounds good. :D
1989 Toyota 4Runner 3.0 V6 5spd Stock
236,000+ miles 150hp 180ft-lbs 4x4
Lift kit and 31's soon!!
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Most exhausts don't make more power, no matter how much we want to believe it. I felt like I lost power with my exhaust, even though others have claimed 10 hp gains with the same catback, and even though I can guess that it made more top-end power, where I can't really feel it, I won't. I do like the exhaust tips and sound though. :)

I still prefer a cool intake sound.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Ok, may be exhaust tuning won't improve fuel efficiency. But I did read it in Car and Driver. It is about the Ferrari 430

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp ... e_number=1

When the exhaust is rumbling, the piston is compressing air just above it because the air on top of the cylinder won't out of the way. This compression waste energy and creates a rumbling sound.

With proper exhaust tuning, a low pressure zone can be created just at the exhaust ports. Thus, when the exhaust valves open, air on top of the cylinder can be sucked out and the piston does not have to compress as much air.
stott150
Junior Standardshifter

Post by stott150 »

hmm on one of the sites i was on they claimned that the flowmasters added hourse power and it imoproved gas usage
ToyotaGuy88
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ToyotaGuy88 »

it just might but like i said i dont think the flowmasters on my truck were designed for it and they were custom put on. There may be some difference in power and gas mileage but its not noticable to me.
Last edited by ToyotaGuy88 on Fri May 06, 2005 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1989 Toyota 4Runner 3.0 V6 5spd Stock
236,000+ miles 150hp 180ft-lbs 4x4
Lift kit and 31's soon!!
stott150
Junior Standardshifter

Post by stott150 »

hmmm well mabie it helps to a degree
NissanMan720
Junior Standardshifter

Post by NissanMan720 »

well since your exhaust system was custom put, the only thing you would probably notice is the sound, right?
The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.
stott150
Junior Standardshifter

Post by stott150 »

thats if i got a custome one but if i get flow masters and if they work the way they claim them to work than ill have better gas mileage and hourse power my current exhaust system is rusted pretty bad and thats the reson why im getting a new system and i though mite as well go for what i want right
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

scionkid wrote:Ok, may be exhaust tuning won't improve fuel efficiency. But I did read it in Car and Driver. It is about the Ferrari 430

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp ... e_number=1

When the exhaust is rumbling, the piston is compressing air just above it because the air on top of the cylinder won't out of the way. This compression waste energy and creates a rumbling sound.

With proper exhaust tuning, a low pressure zone can be created just at the exhaust ports. Thus, when the exhaust valves open, air on top of the cylinder can be sucked out and the piston does not have to compress as much air.
Pretty cool article, definitely a nice read. I read through it, but I couldn't find the part referring to how they tuned the exhaust to create that low pressure zone. Do you know where it is?

Longtube headers achieve a similar effect for modders by creating a scavenging effect to help pull the air in (I believe on the intake stroke). And the dual-displacement intake plenum is pretty cool... I know my Subie had a similar system called IRIS, which created a broader powerband by adjusting the length of the intake plenum at different rev ranges.. It's interesting that the F430 has twin intakes but a single exhaust... it seems like they would have had better power gains by keeping twin exhaust but wanted to mix them just to get a certain sound.

Also, do you know the details of the so-called "flat" V8 layout they were talking about? It makes the engine sound like it's a flat-8/boxer-8, like found in Porsches and Subies, but boxer engines are known for having a lower center of gravity and less vibrations, not more, like the F430.

I think the five-way dial is a pretty cool feature... I guess it really is true that Ferrari's philosphy is the opposite of every other car company's; most automakers race on Sunday to sell on Monday, but Ferrari sells on Monday to race on Sunday...Like the magazine guys said themselves, even they could pull off an 11.7 time in the 1/4 mile... The car's so amazingly idiotproof that even ham-fisted car journalists could look like champs. :)
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

stott150 wrote:hmm on one of the sites i was on they claimned that the flowmasters added hourse power and it imoproved gas usage
Take everything you read with a grain of salt. There's plenty of people who say that the "tornado" thing you can buy to put in your intake actually improved their gas mileage and improved their power...

I like to look at it not as the exhuast necessarily giving me more power and better fuel economy, but rather that it changes the power and gas mileage. I say that because some exhausts will give you more power, others will take away low-end power and give you more up top, other don't do squat, and other make you lose power. And most of the time you really can't tell.

Flowmasters are usually a good choice, but for some reason, people with Flowmasters on LS1s seem to lose power, while geting a very nice exhaust note.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Don't let the marketing of these products get in the way of what they actually do for you. Many of these products may offer small gains for their price; its not worth it to install a $100 air filter if it gives you a few HP and a supposed "increase" in MPG. If you can notice the difference, then its worth it.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
stott150
Junior Standardshifter

Post by stott150 »

well i just resently bought the truck and i know it needs a new exaust system so if not flow masters what should i get. keep in minde i do want a fairly good sounding system.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

So you don't want an exhaust that sounds terrible? Why not? :lol: :wink:

Go to a reputable garage where they do exhaust and look at their custom work. It will probably be cheaper than name brand exhaust and they can tweak your sound to how you want it.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
stott150
Junior Standardshifter

Post by stott150 »

yha i guess i could. i know when my friend took his muffler off u could notice a diffrence in how the truck ran it didnt have as much power so if i get a custom exhaust than i want it to preforme well. i dont want to loose hourse power.
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Post by jcprov21 »

Johnf514 wrote:
scionkid wrote:Hey, what's wrong w/ Honda? Ferrari tuned their V8s to sound like a high reving 4 cylinder because it improves breathing. That rumbling may be pleasing to your ears, but it reduces fuel efficiency.
Nothing is wrong with a stock Honda exhaust. I detest those buzzcans kids put on their cars so they can be more like Paul Walker in 2Fast2Furious.

And most of those cars? Automatics. Grr. :wink:

Funny huh? I saw some guy how was showing off his new vett at school. I was makeing a walk around and saw it was an automatic :? WHY??? He thinks hes all bad ass, but he drives an auto??
ERR.