exhaust system

Car parts you want to buy
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Automatic drivers *ride* in their cars, while standard drivers *drive* their vehicles.

Next time you see Mr. Corvette, just slyly ask him, "so why didn't you get a stick?"

:wink:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

jcprov21 wrote:Funny huh? I saw some guy how was showing off his new vett at school. I was makeing a walk around and saw it was an automatic :? WHY??? He thinks hes all bad ass, but he drives an auto??
ERR.
How did he pay for it? Mommy and Daddy "car loan"? If so, that'd be easy enough to give him sh*t about.
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Post by jcprov21 »

He is one of the rich kids, his parents have a house right on the water. As soon as he got his licence they bought him that car. I think it was a suprise for him and the parents just assumed and got the automatic. ERR
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

A car with that much power for a first car isn't really a good choice for most beginners... Those who've lived past the teens know the kinds of stupid sh*t we pulled at that age.

Girl I knew totaled two cars within a span of months, and each time her parents bought her a newer and more expensive car... Made me wanna have a memorial service for each of those cars before she got behind the wheel....
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

A rich girl at my old high school totalled her Audi A8, so her parents bought her a Hummer. Yikes. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
stott150
Junior Standardshifter

Post by stott150 »

theres a guy at my school that turned 16 about 4 months ago and his parents bought him a mustang gt surprisingly he is very responcible with it if it was me i dont think i would be as careful. but at 16 having a brand new 05 mustang. must be nice :roll:
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Post by jcprov21 »

Hey,
i asked this guy the other day, and he said, and i quote

"My parents said no manual"

Where is a pitchfork when ya need one!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

jcprov21 wrote:Hey,
i asked this guy the other day, and he said, and i quote

"My parents said no manual"

Where is a pitchfork when ya need one!
WHat a sham :roll: . I'm not even gonna go into how spoiled and undisciplined today's kids are here in the states. I wonder where some parents get their parenting tips from, if anywhere :? .
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
PoweredByRice
Junior Standardshifter

Post by PoweredByRice »

uhh i have a honda...it has a aftermarket exhaust...and its not very loud unless i rev it over 4000 rpm so i have to disagree with you on that one... its not the exhaust on hondas, its the kids who ride the RPMs all the way up in 2nd gear and drive all the way down the road like that...and yea i know you'll try to say something about my name but i could care less so shoot away.. all i know is my honduhh with the rice-can exhaust gets like 30 miles to the gallon, and dont say it cant since i drove 67 miles on $5 of gas..
breaking transmissions since 2001
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

PoweredByRice wrote:uhh i have a honda...it has a aftermarket exhaust...and its not very loud unless i rev it over 4000 rpm so i have to disagree with you on that one... its not the exhaust on hondas, its the kids who ride the RPMs all the way up in 2nd gear and drive all the way down the road like that...and yea i know you'll try to say something about my name but i could care less so shoot away.. all i know is my honduhh with the rice-can exhaust gets like 30 miles to the gallon, and dont say it cant since i drove 67 miles on $5 of gas..
First question is: who are you disagreeing with? :)

If you dog the car, you can get that annoying sound... I hate the extra loud sound, but I'll drone down the street all day long if I plan on accelrating out of a street corner in 2nd gear... I usually shift before 2000 rpm just to keep the sound quiet when I'm driving like a granny though...

Both the exhaust and driver can contribute to this. My exhaust is pretty quiet below 2000 rpm, moderately quiet at any rev range if you don't go WOT, and pretty loud at WOT, period. However, I've got one of the quietest exhausts you can put on an F-Body; most of the other ones will sound loud even at idle, and they will drone (deeply) even if you don't dog the car.

And congrats to you for getting 30 mpg. And congrats to me for getting 28 mpg with my V8. And don't say it can't since I've made 400 mile trips and logged my mileage for several trips now.. :)
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

LS1Leader wrote: First question is: who are you disagreeing with? :)
I have to ask the same question. No one here was knockin' on bumble-bee exhausts, although if you'd like them to, I imagine they will. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Their profile says their location is Louisville, Kentucky... I didn't know they serve rice over there... You learn something new every day! :)
button415
Junior Standardshifter

Right..

Post by button415 »

scionkid wrote:Hey, what's wrong w/ Honda? Ferrari tuned their V8s to sound like a high reving 4 cylinder because it improves breathing.
I got loads more to say about that, but I gotta run - Later!
starshifter
Senior Standardshifter

Post by starshifter »

LS1Leader wrote: My exhaust is pretty quiet below 2000 rpm, moderately quiet at any rev range if you don't go WOT, and pretty loud at WOT, period. However, I've got one of the quietest exhausts you can put on an F-Body; most of the other ones will sound loud even at idle, and they will drone (deeply) even if you don't dog the car.
So, LS1, do you have the stock or an after market exhaust? I don't like the stock exhaust on my FRC. I think it's too high pitched when I blip the gas during heel & toe and it doesn't sound good either under acceleration.
LS1Leader wrote:
And congrats to you for getting 30 mpg. And congrats to me for getting 28 mpg with my V8. And don't say it can't since I've made 400 mile trips and logged my mileage for several trips now.. :)
I wish I were getting that. I got 16.4MPG on my last tank. 80% city with a lot of idling at traffic lights and 20% highway. Besides, my commute to work is so short that the engine doesn't even reach normal operating temperature. Redlining the engine just once a day and shifting at 2500 rather than 2000 the rest of the time results in a 1-2MPG penalty! :cry:
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

starshifter wrote:So, LS1, do you have the stock or an after market exhaust? I don't like the stock exhaust on my FRC. I think it's too high pitched when I blip the gas during heel & toe and it doesn't sound good either under acceleration.
Mine is aftermarket. Hooker catback exhaust. I originally had no intentions to replace my exhaust, but did so after a spinout just to make sure I wasn't losing power from the exhaust (it had gotten bent up). I don't believe it's offered for your car. If you like the "exotic car" sound, you might want to look at a Corsa exhaust. If you prefer a "muscle car" deep rumble, you'll want to see what else is out there, or have a shop custom fab you a true dual setup for the most power gain. Yet another option is the Z06's titanium exhaust, although I'm not sure how the power gains compare to other cars.

You can find some sound clips of different exhausts on ls1sounds.com, but unfortunately, most of them are F-Bodies, IIRC.
starshifter wrote:I wish I were getting that. I got 16.4MPG on my last tank. 80% city with a lot of idling at traffic lights and 20% highway. Besides, my commute to work is so short that the engine doesn't even reach normal operating temperature. Redlining the engine just once a day and shifting at 2500 rather than 2000 the rest of the time results in a 1-2MPG penalty! :cry:
That 400 miles wasn't city, unfortunately. :cry: I can only hit 400 mpg under ideal cruising conditions. And it takes almost my whole tank, which I don't normally like to risk in this car (buddy screwed up his fuel tank by running low).

Otherwise, my mileage is usually 16-18 mpg 95% city/rush hour, 5% hwy, and pretty much the same with my normal pattern of driving (more hwy, but more lead in my foot).