WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Car parts you want to buy
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by bk7794 »

Hello I am looking to purchase a 96-00 civic dx. I will take considerations on an HX or an EX but I preferably want a dx without a/c or powersteering. If anyone has any lead on where I can get on or one who is selling one please post. Thanks :D

Of course it must be a 5speed with low miles. I am talking under 140k.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Re: WTB a 1996-2000 Honda Civic DX

Post by Warner »

If you haven't, check Craigslist and Autotrader around your area. They usually list ridiculous prices, but are willing to come down quite a bit.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

bk7794 wrote:Of course it must be a 5speed with low miles. I am talking under 140k.
"low miles"...by your standards. :mrgreen:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:Of course it must be a 5speed with low miles. I am talking under 140k.
i've come to find that IS low miles for most hondas. my 93 accord had over 200k miles on it when i got it (albeit with a newer engine and tranny), my 94 civic had 150k and my 96 accord had almost 180k. all of them held up very well as long as basics were taken care of.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

hondas with that kind of mileage were beat to death in Chicago area.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

We live in little towns where you can find some good condition civics, bk and i
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:We live in little towns where you can find some good condition civics, bk and i
yeah :D but we live in the rust belt. :( so that's depressing
Warner wrote:If you haven't, check Craigslist and Autotrader around your area. They usually list ridiculous prices, but are willing to come down quite a bit.
I never thought of checking Autotrader, thanks! Craigslist is okay but the crap people post is quite sad...
theholycow wrote:
Haha there is method to my madness...then again anything under 2929xx miles is low miles to me. 150k will be just broken in.
AHTOXA wrote:hondas with that kind of mileage were beat to death in Chicago area.
Yeah it will be hard to find the difference between a beaten one and a non beaten one...but they are out there. Especially with me opening my horizon to 2002-2005s...but I wouldn't be able to afford an 04 or 05..
potownrob wrote:
theholycow wrote:
i've come to find that IS low miles for most hondas. my 93 accord had over 200k miles on it when i got it (albeit with a newer engine and tranny), my 94 civic had 150k and my 96 accord had almost 180k. all of them held up very well as long as basics were taken care of.
It was funny, we were talking about old cars in one of my classes and metnioned I had a honda, the teacher said "oh those last like 250k", I responded with "Mine has 290k" He almost fell on the floor LOL.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

yeah, that does look very nice, and last year of the really good generations :)
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

It's not 5k nice, though.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

Don't let the price deter you from looking at it if you're interested. Many of these guys who post ridiculous prices are actually willing to accept much lower offers. Good example: the guy who was selling my STI.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:yeah, that does look very nice, and last year of the really good generations :)
It is, If I had the money I would definitely grab that...I might hold off until summer I might give them a call actually just to see what the story is.
AHTOXA wrote:It's not 5k nice, though.
Imho its like 3k price nice. Thats what KBB value is, thats all I will ever pay...and even then I won't. I will account timing belt, water pump, and a tune up.
Warner wrote:Don't let the price deter you from looking at it if you're interested. Many of these guys who post ridiculous prices are actually willing to accept much lower offers. Good example: the guy who was selling my STI.
Were you concerned about the type of person the previous owner was? Like if the car was beaten?
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

bk7794 wrote:
Warner wrote:Don't let the price deter you from looking at it if you're interested. Many of these guys who post ridiculous prices are actually willing to accept much lower offers. Good example: the guy who was selling my STI.
Were you concerned about the type of person the previous owner was? Like if the car was beaten?
Oh, for sure. That was my primary concern with looking for a good STI to purchase. After meeting with the guy, asking him questions, hearing about his care of the car, seeing all the paperwork he kept, etc., I was reasonably confident he didn't abuse the car. He was in his 40s too, which gave me some comfort.

You're definitely taking a risk buying a car from a private seller. You just have to be more thorough and careful when you're checking it out. Even just getting to know the owner a bit can give you a pretty good idea on how he took care of the car.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Warner wrote:
bk7794 wrote:
Oh, for sure. That was my primary concern with looking for a good STI to purchase. After meeting with the guy, asking him questions, hearing about his care of the car, seeing all the paperwork he kept, etc., I was reasonably confident he didn't abuse the car. He was in his 40s too, which gave me some comfort.

You're definitely taking a risk buying a car from a private seller. You just have to be more thorough and careful when you're checking it out. Even just getting to know the owner a bit can give you a pretty good idea on how he took care of the car.
I was thinking along the same lines, never thought about the paper work. I was looking at a car once from a guy who kept accurate account for his gas mileage...he even had those aerodynamic hub caps..I was amazed..but sadly it was out of my price range.

I would almost rather buy from a private seller if he was the private owner because then you can see what kind of a guy he was..he's not the typical sales men that would bs you to make a quick buck. When you test drove it did he allow you to drive the car? Also if your a bit young..not sure your age, but you think they will and probably will get skeptical. Was that guy?
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

bk7794 wrote:I would almost rather buy from a private seller if he was the private owner because then you can see what kind of a guy he was..he's not the typical sales men that would bs you to make a quick buck. When you test drove it did he allow you to drive the car? Also if your a bit young..not sure your age, but you think they will and probably will get skeptical. Was that guy?
A private seller is definitely preferable to a shady dealer, but I'd still (most of the time) rather buy from a reputable dealer than a private seller.

I'm 23, so I'm fairly young, but not frighteningly so. If he was skeptical, he didn't show it. He had no problem letting me test drive it. I had also gone in to a dealership the day before and easily arranged a test drive of a new Mustang GT--another car that probably brings in a bunch of young guys. I guess I'm either getting to the age where people don't think about it or I seem mature enough for it not to matter...or maybe I got lucky twice.