Driving Skills Quiz

All the news that's fit to shift.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Re: Driving Skills Quiz

Post by jomotopia »

by signing your license you agree to take any sobriety tests. you can refuse to do so, but if you do, you break that contract and there are set penalties for it, usually losing your license for a period of time. you may possibly avoid a DUI but you will still lose your license.

blocking the intersection means still being in it when the light turns red and cross traffic gets the green. if you've pulled into the intersection to turn left, then once the light changes you will usually be able to clear the intersection. most places won't pull you over for it but i don't think it is technically legal, as i believe you are not supposed to enter an intersection unless you can clear it. i think the question was more related to if you are in heavy traffic and enter an intersection going straight, but have to stop before you clear the intersection. then the light changes and you can't go anywhere. or if the street you're turning left onto is backed up and you end up sticking out in the intersection.

for the 4 way stop, if 2 cars arrive at the same time, the one on the right goes first. if the 2 cars are across from each other, then the only situation where they could not safely go through the intersection at the same time would be if one is turning left and the other is not. in which case the one turning left should be the last to go. if people would always use their blinkers correctly this would be easier to do. but in the real world you should make eye contact with the other driver, make sure you both see each other, and play it by ear.

the one about the car passing you on the left i think should have specified whether there was more than one lane in the direction you're going. if there is more than one lane, there's no reason to slow down. but if the car is passing you in oncoming traffic, it wouldn't be a bad idea to slow a little so they can get the pass done more quickly.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

As for blocking intersections, I believe the law is that you're not supposed to enter the intersection unless you can get all the way through; you're expected to stop behind the line, even if it's green, if you can't. Then, if the light turns yellow you're not in the way and can remain stopped, and if a space clears before it turns yellow you can just go.

Of course, if there's any other traffic on the road and you try to do it that way, you might as well save some time and make 3 right turns instead of 1 left turn...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Raki
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Raki »

85, not bad for an unprepared tourist I guess 8)

In the UK the first stage for learners is called the Theory Test, which is similar, and you have to pass before you get to the driving.
blauenlanze
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2017 BMW M240i 6MT

Post by blauenlanze »

f you've pulled into the intersection to turn left, then once the light changes you will usually be able to clear the intersection. most places won't pull you over for it but i don't think it is technically legal, as i believe you are not supposed to enter an intersection unless you can clear it.
The way I was taught to make left turns on regular green lights, and I'm pretty sure the way the DMV wants us to do, was to pull forward when green, wait, and if there were no openings before it turned yellow/red, turn after you were sure oncoming traffic was not going to hit you. In this case you would be allowed to stay for a second if the light turned red and you were waiting for someone to pass.
2007 BMW M240i 6MT
2006 Honda S2000 6MT (old)
2001 Honda Prelude SH 5MT (old)
2000 Toyota Camry V6 (old) auto
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

Hmm. I got a 90%

What i got wrong - I actually didn't know the last one. Speed through the first wrong question.

If a police officer believes that you are driving under the influence:
Your answer: None of the above.
Correct answer: You can refuse to be tested but will face stiff penalties for doing so.

If you approach an intersection at the same time as another vehicle, who has the right of way?
Your answer: The first one who enters the intersection.
Correct answer: The driver on the right.
Bodder
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bodder »

A vehicle is passing you on the left. You should:
Your answer: Keep driving at the same speed and do not slow down.
Correct answer: Slow down slightly and keep to the right. After the vehicle passes and is ahead of you, resume your normal speed.

Thats not the point of passing, you dont pass someone to make them go slower, you pass because YOU are going FASTER.
ra64t wrote: yeah, she has a stick now
MeatProduct
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Contour SVT

Post by MeatProduct »

65! :mrgreen: A new StandardShift record! Did I win a prize?

___

Here are the answers you provided along with correct answers where applicable.

You may cross a double solid yellow line:
Your answer: Under no conditions.
Correct answer: To turn into a business or driveway.

Of course everyone crosses these to get around, but I had no idea it was legal.

A vehicle is passing you on the left. You should:
Your answer: Keep driving at the same speed and do not slow down.
Correct answer: Slow down slightly and keep to the right. After the vehicle passes and is ahead of you, resume your normal speed.

Sure, I'm all over that one.

If a police officer believes that you are driving under the influence:
Your answer: None of the above.
Correct answer: You can refuse to be tested but will face stiff penalties for doing so.

I thought you'd have to be blood tested even if you refused the walk-test and/or breathalyzer... False.

You may legally block an intersection:
Your answer: If you have entered the intersection on a green light.
Correct answer: Under no circumstances.

Am I seriously wrong here? I've had *responsible* people conclusively tell me that yes, you can block an intersection if you entered on a green light. If you can't ever do this, why would there need to be "DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION" at certain intersections in Washington, DC (the only place I've ever seen them)?

When driving in fog, you should use your:
Your answer: Fog lights only.
Correct answer: Low beams.

Really? They're FOG lights! What the hell else are they for? And who would ever actually use the fog lights ONLY (w/o the low beams already on)?

You may cross a double yellow line to pass another vehicle if the yellow line next to:
Your answer: The other side of the road is a broken line.
Correct answer: Your side of the road is a broken line.

Other choices:
19. You may cross a double yellow line to pass another vehicle if the yellow line next to:
1. The other side of the road is a solid line.
2. Your side of the road is a broken line. <--- This makes the most sense, but it's identical to option 1! I figured that if the line is broken on one side, then the other must be solid... Unless you disregard the other side entirely and just see about whether your side has a broken line. Guess I learned something today.
3. The other side of the road is a broken line.

If you approach an intersection at the same time as another vehicle, who has the right of way?
Your answer: The first one who enters the intersection.
Correct answer: The driver on the right.

This one's already been discussed. I'll concede. And it does actually make sense to give ROW to the car on the right.

___

No one follows most of these rules anyway. Or signals when changing lanes.

More importantly, who cares about stuff like this when people tailgate at 70mph on highways, or don't check blind spots when they're changing lanes? That's a much bigger threat than crossing a double yellow line or whatever. Then you have people who drift around in their lanes, ignore lanes altogether, talk on cellphones, etc.

The importance of observing these laws is nil when measured against being a careful, common-sense driver.
It's what's for dinner.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

MeatProduct wrote: *18.

Really? They're FOG lights! What the hell else are they for? And who would ever actually use the fog lights ONLY (w/o the low beams already on)?
Aparently you would, since thats the answer you chose
MeatProduct wrote: *19.
You may cross a double yellow line to pass another vehicle if the yellow line next to:
Your answer: The other side of the road is a broken line.
Correct answer: Your side of the road is a broken line.

Other choices:
19. You may cross a double yellow line to pass another vehicle if the yellow line next to:
1. The other side of the road is a solid line.
2. Your side of the road is a broken line. <--- This makes the most sense, but it's identical to option 1! I figured that if the line is broken on one side, then the other must be solid... Unless you disregard the other side entirely and just see about whether your side has a broken line. Guess I learned something today.
3. The other side of the road is a broken line.
Not at all, actually. The other side can be solid and yours can be as well. Hence the term solid double yellow. Of course only your side matters. Its the only thing that makes sense, with the exception of center turn lanes.
MeatProduct wrote:No one follows most of these rules anyway. Or signals when changing lanes.

More importantly, who cares about stuff like this when people tailgate at 70mph on highways, or don't check blind spots when they're changing lanes? That's a much bigger threat than crossing a double yellow line or whatever. Then you have people who drift around in their lanes, ignore lanes altogether, talk on cellphones, etc.

The importance of observing these laws is nil when measured against being a careful, common-sense driver.
Ill let someone who isnt in a mood to kill chew you up for this
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Post by SteveUK »

Actually the other night I had to drive with my front fog lights and only my side lights on. My headlights (not my main beam) were causing the fog to white out and I couldn't see where I was going. As the fog lights are low down and below the fog, they were able to light the road well and still enable me to see. I also needed to have my rear fog light on aswell.

I have to say that I have never driven in such bad conditions before and it was the first time that I have ever used my front fog lights without my head lights.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

SteveUK wrote:I also needed to have my rear fog light on aswell.
Rear fogs are a wonderful thing.

I wish I could turn my fogs on independant of my headlights, but as my lights are wired thats not possible
blauenlanze
Master Standardshifter

Post by blauenlanze »

You may cross a double solid yellow line:
Your answer: Under no conditions.
Correct answer: To turn into a business or driveway.

Of course everyone crosses these to get around, but I had no idea it was legal.
They mean like a normal left or right turn (in the case of LHT), not as in driving on the wrong side of the road for a while to get around traffic.
Tricky question, but remember that not all cars have low beans.
2007 BMW M240i 6MT
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

MeatProduct wrote: *16.
You may legally block an intersection:
Your answer: If you have entered the intersection on a green light.
Correct answer: Under no circumstances.

Am I seriously wrong here? I've had *responsible* people conclusively tell me that yes, you can block an intersection if you entered on a green light. If you can't ever do this, why would there need to be "DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION" at certain intersections in Washington, DC (the only place I've ever seen them)?
by blocking the intersection they mean still being in it when your light turns red and the cross traffic gets a green. you can enter an intersection on green, and still be there when the light turns red, as long as you can then immediately clear the intersection. the problem is when you enter an intersection on green, light turns red, and you still can't clear the intersection. then the people with the green light can not go. this is very bad and people turning left and doing this at a particular intersection piss me off to no end every morning on my way to work.
MeatProduct wrote: *18. g

sometimes knowing how to take tests is as or more important than knowing the material. it's all about the wording. blauenlanze said that not all cars lave low beans (sic) :lol:, but i think maybe he meant not all cars have fog lights.
MeatProduct wrote:The importance of observing these laws is nil when measured against being a careful, common-sense driver.
careful and common-sense is definitely important. however, following most of these laws is also very important. even if you do not agree with certain traffic procedures and laws, it is still important to follow them so that you can be predictable to other drivers. speed limit notwithstanding. :twisted:
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
blauenlanze
Master Standardshifter

Post by blauenlanze »

blauenlanze said that not all cars lave low beans (sic) :lol:, but i think maybe he meant not all cars have fog lights.
:lol: OK, OK, it was fog lights, I wrote the wrong thing.
2007 BMW M240i 6MT
MeatProduct
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MeatProduct »

watkins wrote:
MeatProduct wrote: *18.

Aparently you would, since thats the answer you chose
I drive with low beams on at all times to stay visible, and add fog lights if it's foggy. Since that wasn't an option, I put "fog" and "fog" together, and decided that if it was foggy out, I might use my fog lights. Blauenlanze is right that not all cars have fog lights, but having fog lights in the answer options implied to me that the car they're talking about is equipped with fog lights.
watkins wrote:
MeatProduct wrote: *19.
Not at all, actually. The other side can be solid and yours can be as well. Hence the term solid double yellow. Of course only your side matters. Its the only thing that makes sense, with the exception of center turn lanes.
Not going to argue this one. I should've known the rule, and didn't. Now I do. Will that make me a safer driver? No.
watkins wrote:
MeatProduct wrote: The importance of observing these laws is nil when measured against being a careful, common-sense driver.
Ill let someone who isnt in a mood to kill chew you up for this
Chew me up for what? For pointing out that you can be a terrible driver while being in full observance of all traffic laws? My point is that being generally considerate and attentive while driving is more important for everyone's safety than knowing obscure road rules. Rules matter to a point, but I think we'd be better off is driving tests/quizzes focused on stuff like hydroplaning dynamics and safe following distances on highways, etc. If you have reason to disagree, by all means say so.

The problem is most obvious on highways - where going 66 mph in a 55 (esp. around a cop on a mission) will get you a ticket, but aggressively tailgating and shuffling lanes won't even get you a slap on the wrist. Who's creating a bigger threat, the 5,000-lb. Hummer that's barely a foot off from my rear bumper, or me, cruising along on a clear day in zero traffic at 75 mph?
It's what's for dinner.
MeatProduct
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MeatProduct »

jomotopia wrote: by blocking the intersection they mean still being in it when your light turns red and the cross traffic gets a green. you can enter an intersection on green, and still be there when the light turns red, as long as you can then immediately clear the intersection. the problem is when you enter an intersection on green, light turns red, and you still can't clear the intersection. then the people with the green light can not go. this is very bad and people turning left and doing this at a particular intersection piss me off to no end every morning on my way to work.
Wow, that's a dick move. I had no idea people did that... or could legally do that, anywhere.

So does that mean that at these intersections in DC I can go ahead assert meself into the intersection on green, provided I can clear it when it turns red?
It's what's for dinner.