Post by jomotopia »

2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: Pontiac is Dead

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

I don't know what to say.

No, I really don't, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing :?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Pontiac or Obwandiyag (c. 1720 – April 20, 1769), was a Native American Chief that became famous for its role in Pontiac's Wide Track Rebellion (1953–1969), an American Automaker struggle against the British Sports car occupation of the Great Lakes region following the British victory over the French in the Import War. Historians disagree about Pontiac's importance in the car that bears his name. Twentieth century accounts portrayed him as the mastermind and leader of the revolt, while some subsequent interpretations have depicted him as a local leader with limited overall influence.
The war began in May 1964 when Pontiac and 300 horsepowers attempted to take Fort Detroit by surprise. His plan foiled, Pontiac laid siege to the fort, and was eventually joined by more than 900 foot-lbs from a half-dozen turbos. Meanwhile, messengers spread the word of Pontiac's actions, and the war expanded far beyond Detroit. In July 1973, Pontiac defeated a British detachment at the Battle of Trans Am, but he was unable to capture the fort. In October he lifted the siege and withdrew to the Illinois country.
Although Pontiac's influence had declined around Detroit because of the unsuccessful siege, he gained stature in the Illinois and Wabash country as he continued to encourage resistance to the Japanese. Seeking to end the war, UAW officials made Pontiac the focus of their diplomatic efforts. In November 2008, Pontiac made peace with Bush Superintendent of Automotive Affairs Sir William Johnson. The attention which the government paid to Pontiac created resentment among other Indian leaders, particularly because Pontiac claimed far greater authority than he actually possessed. Increasingly ostracized, in 2009 he was assassinated by a Peoria Indian named Obama.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

*holds funeral*
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I don't care what everyone says. I've always secretly lusted after the older GTPs.

'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Pontiac or Obwandiyag (c. 1720 – April 20, 1769), was a Native American Chief that became famous for its role in Pontiac's Wide Track Rebellion (1953–1969), an American Automaker struggle against the British Sports car occupation of the Great Lakes region following the British victory over the French in the Import War. Historians disagree about Pontiac's importance in the car that bears his name. Twentieth century accounts portrayed him as the mastermind and leader of the revolt, while some subsequent interpretations have depicted him as a local leader with limited overall influence.
The war began in May 1964 when Pontiac and 300 horsepowers attempted to take Fort Detroit by surprise. His plan foiled, Pontiac laid siege to the fort, and was eventually joined by more than 900 foot-lbs from a half-dozen turbos. Meanwhile, messengers spread the word of Pontiac's actions, and the war expanded far beyond Detroit. In July 1973, Pontiac defeated a British detachment at the Battle of Trans Am, but he was unable to capture the fort. In October he lifted the siege and withdrew to the Illinois country.
Although Pontiac's influence had declined around Detroit because of the unsuccessful siege, he gained stature in the Illinois and Wabash country as he continued to encourage resistance to the Japanese. Seeking to end the war, UAW officials made Pontiac the focus of their diplomatic efforts. In November 2008, Pontiac made peace with Bush Superintendent of Automotive Affairs Sir William Johnson. The attention which the government paid to Pontiac created resentment among other Indian leaders, particularly because Pontiac claimed far greater authority than he actually possessed. Increasingly ostracized, in 2009 he was assassinated by a Peoria Indian named Obama.
Beautiful tribute. I was gonna write the exact same thing, but you beat me to it. Fare the well, arrowhead!
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

What's going to happen with the Vibe and G6? Are they going to be rebranded as Chevrolet?
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

Vibe? G6? really?? who gives a shit about those.

i wanna know whats gonna happen with the G8 GT. :?
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Yeah, the G8 (GT or otherwise) would be the big loss. There are few large RWD cars, less with manuals, even less with 4 doors, and even less than that at reasonable prices.

The Solstice will be missed by its fans but the rest of the world doesn't even know it exists.

As for the G6 and Vibe...there's plenty of small-medium FWD cars and wagons/cute-utes. Stuff like the G6 and Vibe, while decent cars, just did not leverage Pontiac's identity and history, and did not innovate...they didn't do much of anything. They were decent cars but there's lots of decent cars.

If they're cutting brands, Pontiac isn't going to represent a big loss for them to cut. GMC, even with half of its product line being badge-engineered Chevy models (the other half being commercial vehicles), manages to work its name and marketing hooks better.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

I've seen a few G8s on the road, they're really nice cars but the GXP version wasn't available in Canada anyway so sadly it's no big loss to me - it was just vapourware. The G6 sedan and Vibe are both popular around Vancouver which is why I asked, though the G6 is getting long in the tooth design wise. Perhaps the G6 can go, but they should keep the Chevrolet Vibe as it seems to be the only vehicle many people would buy from GM because of it's Toyota components.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I heard a rumor that they'll use the G8 platform as a new Impala. makes sense, it would be cool to see the Impala return to V8 RWD goodness, rather than glorified-econobox FWD gayness.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Big RWD Impala? Damn, I'd love that!

The G8 is on the Zeta platform, same platform as the Camaro. That platform originates in Australia as the Holden Commodore, which is surely a car I'd like too.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

Maybe I should keep my Pontiac now. Maybe it'll be worth something someday. I doubt it though.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

4onthefloor wrote:Maybe I should keep my Pontiac now. Maybe it'll be worth something someday. I doubt it though.
Yeah, just like all the old Plymouths floating around out there :lol:
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

noob5,000,000 wrote:
4onthefloor wrote:Maybe I should keep my Pontiac now. Maybe it'll be worth something someday. I doubt it though.
Yeah, just like all the old Plymouths floating around out there :lol:
The 'cudas are selling for a literal fortune nowadays.

That's about it though :(

Edit: and the reliant....I think everyone here would love a K car. :roll:
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230