2010 Mazdaspeed3

All the news that's fit to shift.
Warner
Master Standardshifter

2010 Mazdaspeed3

Post by Warner »

"turbocharged, direct-injected, 2.3-liter four-cylinder [...] produces 263 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque" -- Read full article

I've seen some of the new Mazda3 sedans driving around and I thought those were pretty fugly, but this is even worse IMO. The side view makes it look like it's transforming into some mixture of minivan and Pontiac Vibe.

I liked the original Mazdaspeed3, but I doubt I'd ever buy this one. Maybe it looks better in person, but that front fascia is just a complete disaster.

What do you guys think? Worse or better than the original?
buster
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Prius

Re: 2010 Mazdaspeed3

Post by buster »

Better than the original IMO. Originally, I thought the redesign was a disaster. Then it started to grow on me a little bit. Then when I actually saw it in person, I thought it wasn't too bad. Now I kinda like it.

But they really went too far with the smile. Definitely would change the front, but I like the profile.
"and Leon's getting laaaarrrrgggggeeeerrrr"
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Post by mad_finn »

well to be honert just about evrything designed -95 or later dosn't look good
on that mazda the front is total disaster...

Anyway, like I was saying... todays cars all look just same... back in 80's you could identify any car mile away, now you have to walk around it and probably even then you dont know what it is.
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
Evicatos
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3

Post by Evicatos »

I hate it. Not only is that goofy smile on the front terrible (not the fact that it's smiling, but rather the execution), they basically went the opposite direction from the original and made it flashy and ostentatious with that hood scoop and other borderline-rice additions. One of the main selling points for me on my generation was that it was designed as a sleeper. It's pretty hard to tell that the earlier generation Mazdaspeed 3 is any different from a regular Mazda 3 hatch unless you know what to look for. It even had less badging than the regular 5 door. I guess that hood scoop is functional in that the older generation has issues with cooling the turbo sometimes, but I still don't like that they added it.
Hello world.
Werty
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 09 Mazda3

Post by Werty »

+1. The first time I saw the 2010 redesign I hated it and still do (although the "smile" is less prominent in a darker colour). I'm glad I picked up the previous generation while it was still available.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

I think the big smile grille is symbolic to the big smile the driver gets when he gets his Zoom Zoom on. Just my two cents. I like it.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Aesthetically I think they swung for the fences and missed. In terms of driving dynamics, I will always bow in deference to a 5-door FWD car with gobs of torque.
:wink:
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

While I prefer the looks of the older model, the mechanical/handling improvements done on the new MS3 force me to like it. So long as they aren't embarassingly bad, looks don't matter too much to me.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

i love my friend's '03 mazda 3. this is pretty much a comparison in how the 90's civics looked like, up to what the 09 civics look like.

garbage
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

you guys are all on crack. i saw a few of these in person and they are absolutely marvelous looking.

and how did mid 80s cars all look different. they were all a big square box with 4 doors, and a v8 that made 25 hp/liter.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

permabanned, I must admit I haven't seen one in three dimensions yet, but from here on the other side of this monitor, I'd take one in black because (1) I only buy black cars, and (2) it would hide the smiley grille. The rest of it I have no problem with. Just that damn gaping maw.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

the front end is retarded looking. the spoiler is pointless
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

The "smile" fascia is just clipped onto the bumper with a few clips. It will take you 30 seconds to remove... drop in a front-mount afterwards, and you're done! :lol:
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

I suppose the hood scoop could be appropriated for other cooling tasks if you relocated the intercooler...

hmm... I think you may have sold me.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

I think it'll circle your 94 Geo like a moon, and that you're shallow for not liking it based on its looks. And I think that it should be a 4 wheel drive like the speed6.

On an unrelated note, I wonder where's the Mazdaspeed5.