Floor Mats

All the news that's fit to shift.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Floor Mats

Post by scionkid »

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2 ... .html#more
Throwing it into neutral is another idea that works. But believe it or not, one of the NHTSA reports quoted a stuck throttle victim as saying, "I put the shifter into neutral, but the engine sounded like it was going to blow up, so I put it back in drive. The car still kept going ..."
I'm still trying to find this NHTSA report. Some people and automobiles don't mix.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Floor Mats

Post by watkins »

People amaze me, and for all the wrong reasons
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I've been discussing this on other forums.

Blowing up an engine > killing a motorcyclist (as happened in the Lexus example that spurred the Toyota recall), pedestrian, or yourself. That's if your car doesn't have a rev limiter.

Turning the key to off > the other options.

Pulling the gas pedal up from the floor mat is also a pretty decent option...

In the time it took to call 911, I could think of and type out many options that would have done the job. The 911 operator couldn't think of those ideas either, and also didn't think to send a firetruck to slow down in front of the car.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:I've been discussing this on other forums.

Blowing up an engine > killing a motorcyclist (as happened in the Lexus example that spurred the Toyota recall), pedestrian, or yourself. That's if your car doesn't have a rev limiter.

Turning the key to off > the other options.

Pulling the gas pedal up from the floor mat is also a pretty decent option...

In the time it took to call 911, I could think of and type out many options that would have done the job. The 911 operator couldn't think of those ideas either, and also didn't think to send a firetruck to slow down in front of the car.
Put yourselves into the head of a slushbox driver. No, really, crawl right in - there is plenty of room in there for all of you. Slushbox drivers have no coping mechanisms. If they shift into Park, but the car starts backing up, they just let it go until it runs over or into something/somebody. Then, they go get lawyered up and tell the jury how there was no way they could have avoided killing Aunt Ethyl. A manual driver in a situation where the wrong gear selection occurred would push in the clutch, try reshifting and if that didn't get them the gear they wanted would try shifting into some other gear position and seeing what they get until they find one that does the job. If they found a persistent issue, they would log into SS and ask for help in determining what went wrong. In the twenty-sum years I worked with Amish transmissions, I was never called into court, something my slushbox engineer colleagues can't say.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Indeed. Slush drivers have slush for brains
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:Indeed. Slush drivers have slush for brains
Slush is their fate.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Its really slush a shame
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Slush is life....and then we die.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

You used the same phrasing twice. That is unacceptable.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

When I was learning to drive, the first thing my dad told me was if I couldn't stop the car (brakes failed, throttle stuck, whatever) I should turn the key to "Off". I never forgot it. Since then I've figured out plenty of other ways; neutral, steering into something that will stop the car without hurting me (scrape along a guardrail, get stuck in a ditch, enjoy my air bags as I hit a lightweight parked car, whatever), etc...but I've never forgotten that I can still just shut the damn thing off.

When you shut it off in D, you can't turn it all the way back to lock the steering wheel.

I've kinda always assumed that it was common knowledge to shut it off if it's out of control. I guess not.

LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

theholycow wrote:I've kinda always assumed that it was common knowledge to shut it off if it's out of control. I guess not.
the one thing my dad taught me when i was driving, that will always stick with me for the rest of my life and that i pass on with everyone that is willing to listen is: You can't assume that everyone else is as smart as you are.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

Slush boxes and watermelons.

What have automobiles become today?

..........A fruit stand?
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

theholycow wrote:When I was learning to drive, the first thing my dad told me was if I couldn't stop the car (brakes failed, throttle stuck, whatever) I should turn the key to "Off". I never forgot it. Since then I've figured out plenty of other ways; neutral, steering into something that will stop the car without hurting me (scrape along a guardrail, get stuck in a ditch, enjoy my air bags as I hit a lightweight parked car, whatever), etc...but I've never forgotten that I can still just shut the damn thing off.

When you shut it off in D, you can't turn it all the way back to lock the steering wheel.

I've kinda always assumed that it was common knowledge to shut it off if it's out of control. I guess not.
I had a problem like this a few years back, I was driving my '86 Fiero SE on a mountain run and I looked down to see the temp gauge pegged at like 320* F :shock:. My first instinct was to save the engine so I turned the ignition to "Off", what happened next is when it got interesting :evil:. I didn't know about turning it back to "Acc" or "Run", so the steering wheel locked and I panicked, going like 45-50 on a mountain with no steering, no power, and manual brakes :shock:. The car ended up going into a pretty shallow ditch and it stopped without really damaging anything (I'm damn glad I still had braking, lol, even w/o power assist). So, yes, turning off your car can make things a lot worse :lol:, at least if you forget to turn the key back to "acc" or w/e.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

The post from Toyota sez to apply the brakes one time only (no pumping, so the stored "Boost" vacuum doesn't get bled off) and for those with keyless ignition switch, to depress the ignition/starter button one time, holding it depressed until the engine shuts off. I guess it functions like the reset button on my desktop confuser here and short taps just don't shut it down. Also, remember that anything more than three (3) taps is masturbation.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Tinton wrote:So, yes, turning off your car can make things a lot worse :lol:, at least if you forget to turn the key back to "acc" or w/e.
That is an exception for manual transmission equipped cars...automatics won't let you turn it to "Lock" except when you're in 'P'. In any of RND321 it kills the engine but keeps steering.