Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Muscle-Stang Ponies-Up

Post by Rope-Pusher »

2011 Mustang GT to have even more horses under the hood

Ford reveals 2nd new engine to compete better

By BRENT SNAVELY

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

The Ford Mustang will get not one, but two new engines next year.

Ford Motor Co. announced today that it plans to introduce an all-new 5.0-liter, V8 engine for its 2011 Mustang GT in the spring.

The V8 engine will deliver 412 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque — 87 more horsepower than the out going engine.

“This is the right engine for the car,” said Bob Fascetti, Ford’s director of large gas and diesel engines.

Today’s confirmation fol lows Ford’s announcement in November that it will also pro vide an all-new 3.7-liter V6 en gine with 305 horsepower in the Mustang when it goes on sale in the spring. That engine provides 95 more horsepower than the outgoing model.

Mustang enthusiasts have been clamoring for more pow erful engines, and Ford’s new V8 engine is expected to give the Mustang GT the horsepow er it needs to compete against the Chevrolet Camaro SS and the Dodge Challenger SRT8.

The Chevrolet Camaro SS offers a 6.2-liter V8 with 426 horsepower, and the Dodge Challenger SRT8 offers a 6.1-li ter V8 engine rated at 425 horsepower.

“The Mustang is a gorgeous vehicle that unfortunately this year … was down on horse power versus its competitors,” said John Wolkonowicz, senior analyst for IHS Global Insight. “But all that gets fixed next year.”

Mustang’s shortage of pow er gave Ford problems in 2009 as the Camaro returned in the spring to the marketplace for the first time since 2002.

The result: Camaro has out sold Mustang for the last six months. In November, 6,887 Camaros were sold compared with just 3,627 Mustangs, ac cording to Autodata Corp.

Ford executives are betting that Camaro’s time at the top will be limited.

“When you re-enter the market, there are a lot of brand advocates, and a lot of employ ees who want to be part of that new model,” said Jim Farley, Ford’s group vice president of global marketing. “The thing about Mustang is we never left the market.”

Although the Camaro and Challenger will still have en gines that are slightly more powerful, the Mustang is the lightest of the three pony cars and likely will be faster, Wolko nowicz said. Ford also boasts that the en gine itself is lighter and small er. At 5.0 liters, the Mustang’s new engine delivers about 83 horsepower per liter.

“Please compare that to whatever else is out there,” Fascetti said.

In addition, Ford said it ex pects the automatic version of the V8 engine will get 25 m.p.g. on the highway and 17 m.p.g. in the city. That would be 1 m.p.g. better in the city than both of Mustang’s main competitors.

“We are absolutely commit ted to keeping Mustang at the front of the pack,” Farley said.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Re: Muscle-Stang Ponies-Up

Post by Bawked »

nice! good to see the 5 keeping up with the bigger engines, cant wait to see it on top gear :D
<3 fwd
07_Mustang V6
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Mustang V6

Post by 07_Mustang V6 »

Beautiful. I'll still be rolling my 3.6 V6 but I'm happy :) Still kinda down about the Camaro vs. Challenger/Stang video.
2007 Mustang V6 5spd.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

Finally the 5.0... Good to see Ford stepping up finally.

The last Mustang I really liked was the 99-04 model... Heck that's the only one I've liked since the 60's-70's haha. But that's still gonna be one fast car I wouldn't mind driving. :mrgreen:
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

No mo' it's the five point slo.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

I would still do dirty, dirty things for a 5 speed fox body notch with straight pipes into flowmaster mufflers. That's it. All I want, no other mods.
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:I would still do dirty, dirty things for a 5 speed fox body notch with straight pipes into flowmaster mufflers. That's it. All I want, no other mods.
Now that's the ticket! Your stating you didn't really care for C5 vettes yesterday had me thinking maybe you were actually a little bonkers, but then boom, you go and write something like this and totally redeem yourself!

That said, yes, this new engine is gonna be a monster. A valid complaint of the 4.6 is the powdered metal connecting rods, main bolt and other internals can't take more than 400hp without failure, so you need to do some replacements to megasize it. Not so with the new 5.0. Straight out of the box she's ready for forced induction.

And as much as I hate engine covers, that one is kinda sexy. Like a peekaboo negligee.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Hey, whatever happened to Pope-Rusher? I guess he got tired of this place.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

He went the way of our last great Wise Old Man, perhaps. I feel as though he and PS are sharing coffee somewhere
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

eggwich delfiero wrote:
94Corolla5Speed wrote:I would still do dirty, dirty things for a 5 speed fox body notch with straight pipes into flowmaster mufflers. That's it. All I want, no other mods.
Now that's the ticket! Your stating you didn't really care for C5 vettes yesterday had me thinking maybe you were actually a little bonkers, but then boom, you go and write something like this and totally redeem yourself!
:lol: It's not that I don't care for them, it's just that given the choice between a C6 base and a C5 Z06, I'd choose the C6. I would still be jumping off the walls caked in drool if someone handed me the keys to a C5 lol.
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter

94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/cou ... index.html

Quick rundown of important #'s

Now with a 6 speed!
0-60 in 4.3
60-0 in 105 ft
.94 lat g's
$35k for a nicely optioned v8

eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter

Also autoblog's review is solid: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/29/2011 ... rst-drive/

Very much win, indeed.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

The Mustang is finally becoming something more than what I could cobble together with sticks and duct tape. Im impressed, Ford. Good job proving that an American car company can do something right without government intervention.