Buick Regal 2.0T to come with a 6 speed manual transmission

All the news that's fit to shift.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Buick Regal 2.0T to come with a 6 speed manual transmission

Post by DKaz »

With all the bad news coming from GM lately with very few good ones, glad to see another good one added to the pack. I wonder what this car aims to compete against though. My first thought is the Jetta? Sizewise it looks somewhere between a compact and mid-size. With this announcement and rumours that the MPVs Ford C-Max and Chevy Orlando will come with manual transmissions, this is the news that may persuade me to buy domestic*.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/19/brea ... anual-tra/

Trivia Time: When was the last time a U.S. market Buick was available with a manual transmission? Honestly, we can't recall anything more recent than a buddy in high school having a hand-me-down mid-Eighties Somerset coupe with a stubby, workmanlike five-speed. Even back then its presence in our friend's hooptie was a genuine curiosity and a source of perpetual amusement.

Naturally, we posed this same question to a few Buick PR-types this morning at a first drive event upon learning from vehicle line executive Jim Federico that the reborn 2011 Regal will receive a six-speed manual transmission option (mated to a blown 2.0-liter four, no less). The answer? Shoulder shrugs and sheepish looks. Curiously, nobody even tried to answer our query with a red herring like the ill-fated Reatta coupe (it only came with a four-speed automatic).

So we now know when a Buick will next feature God's Own Gearbox (probably in the third quarter of 2010), but we still can't crack this historical chestnut – so we beseech thee, Autoblog Nation... what year was the last Buick built with a DIY transmission – and what car was it in? Hit us with your best shot in Comments.

*Regal is based on an Opel car, Orlando may be by Daewoo, C-Max is also built overseas currently.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Hyundai GenCoupe

Re: Buick Regal 2.0T to come with a 6 speed manual transmission

Post by Draklen »

It's good that they are bringing the Regal name back, since the Park Ave name is gone.

Regal -> Regal (Park Ave Trim) -> Park Ave
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Buick Regal 2.0T to come with a 6 speed manual transmiss

Post by DKaz »

The Buick Regal GS with its 2.0L Ecotec Turbocharged engine producing 255HP is coming soon, and will initially come with a 6 speed manual transmission ONLY, starting at $35,310. An automatic transmission will come later in the model year although no details on pricing is available yet.

From GM...
Advanced, efficient power. This is the heart of the Regal GS and its sport-injected turbocharged performance. As if adding 255 (est) horsepower wasn't enough, the high-output 2.0L Ecotec turbo engine is supported by an Interactive Drive Control System, high-performance Brembo brakes and a more aggressive exterior with dual exhausts, vertical air inlets and an integrated rear spoiler. And just so you never forget it's a GS you're driving, there's 19-inch wheels and performance tires, plus a jet black interior complete with racing-style metal pedals, sport shifter (for that six-speed manual transmission) and a flat-bottom steering wheel reminiscent of those used in international racing series.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Unfortunately, they'll probably only sell like two of them with the manual gearbox.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Why does this car remind me so much of the new Saab 9-5?

Oh yeah, same car, different badge.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

I don't see the resemblance...
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

this car is absolutely gorgeous to see in person, at least in black (both of the ones i saw close up were black). they offer the manual on the lower models too, not just the GS. probably won't be any on the lots with manuals other than the one GS they might stock. that said, this is one of the cars i've been mentioning to my friend...

edit: didn't realize the spambot resurrected a necrothread...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I've seen at least two of them on the road and they are definitely good looking cars. Best looking Buick in a loooooong time...