Toyota FT-86

All the news that's fit to shift.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Re: Toyota FT-86

Post by FDSpirit »

2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

Saw the second generation Scion tC. The roofline of the car looks a lot like the FT-86's.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

FFFFUUUU-

Great. Well, there goes a promised dream down the drain…

C'mon..I was hopin' and prayin' for a revival of Toyota's pure wild child and instead we get stuck with a front drive look alike from the brand's hipster sibling. And Europe gets the Subaru version. Bah! :x
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Post by Jastreb »

That concept looks damn good. I hope the production car will be close to that. Much better looking that the new tC, which I think is ugly.

And who cares if it's a Scion. It would go along with Toyota's general product strategy for the brand.

And "hipster cousin"? Hipsters don't even like cars. They prefer to use fixed speed bicycles for transportation.
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

Jastreb wrote:They prefer to use fixed speed bicycles for transportation.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

That's almost certainly not a fixie. It's probably a single speed with a coaster brake.

Here's a couple fixies.

1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

She might just have shifted into a low gear...or might be afraid to shift.

My road bike has 53x11 as its tallest ratio. It's also got some really short ratios too. I like wide ratio gearing on bicycles even more than in cars.

Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

Are you measuring that in mm or something? I'm confused now…

My bike is a pseudo 26" cruiser from Walmart, but it has a ratio that allows for smooth simple cruising- and with that picking up speed is a simple task that will lead to your legs feeling like they're kicking air while trying to maintain speed. Makes for a good workout.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

53x11 is tooth count. Largest front chainring is 53t, smallest rear cog is 11t.

Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

theholycow wrote:53x11 is tooth count. Largest front chainring is 53t, smallest rear cog is 11t.
That's quite a difference. :o

Did you personally count this?
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

My BMX bike, a Toys-R-Us special that actually got stolen once (long story), has pretty terrible gearing. And it is heavy as shit. I would have to pedal hard to get it moving, then once I got up to speed I would be pedaling like a madman. Still pwned my friend every time we had 'drag races' on our bikes. He almost ran into a Saturn once :lol:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Chris H. wrote:
theholycow wrote:53x11 is tooth count. Largest front chainring is 53t, smallest rear cog is 11t.

:lol: Possibly, before I installed them.

The Buick may have the first automotive transmission I've swapped, but I've done a few bicycle transmission swaps including custom gears.

Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

theholycow wrote:
Chris H. wrote:

:lol: Possibly, before I installed them.

The Buick may have the first automotive transmission I've swapped, but I've done a few bicycle transmission swaps including custom gears.

Neato. I want a gear swap!!
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:My BMX bike, a Toys-R-Us special that actually got stolen once (long story), has pretty terrible gearing. And it is heavy as shit. I would have to pedal hard to get it moving, then once I got up to speed I would be pedaling like a madman. Still pwned my friend every time we had 'drag races' on our bikes. He almost ran into a Saturn once :lol:

I've owned several various 20" bikes over the last ten years:

1994 Huffy Power- bike was orange, turned pink from the hot New Mexico sun before I bought the bike. Had an interesting gear set ratio that allowed me to pedal slow and obtain a decent amount of speed.

20" NEXT bike. Green and silver chrome with front fork shocks. Had front and rear handlebar brakes, as well as a coaster brake. I abused this bike before selling it at a garage sale a few years ago.

20" Jeff Gordon-NASCAR themed bike. The rear bearings came apart when I tried to stop the bike. Dad fixed it, but you could no longer coast- the pedals kept moving with the rear tire.

20" NEXT mountain bike. Full suspension frame, chrome, 6 rear speeds, single pedal speed. I abused the snot out of this bike big time. Ramping it, taking it through rushing water down my street after a thunderstorm, through mud…it could handle practically anything. Well, except 8" vertical curbs. On my way to school one morning when a guy just pulled out of his driveway without looking and I ended up braking and then swerving into a curb. At that point I flew over the handlebars and landed in a bush. The bike though- its frame twisted, and the front rim got crushed. One of the most comfortable bikes I've ever rode.

My 26" La Jolla (aka NEXT, aka Walmart) cruiser can take a beating (I've already wrecked it from locking the rear tire up on wet pavement). The ramps around campus on the sidewalk have steep sides, so I ramp up the front tire and come down hard on it. I know I shouldn't do that, but I can't help it. I just wish single-speed cruisers had a full suspension or something...