,...Not That There's Anything Wrong With That.

All the news that's fit to shift.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

,...Not That There's Anything Wrong With That.

Post by Rope-Pusher »

"You might not be gay, but your car is!”

Welcome to Stick Shift: The Gay Car Blog, a new weekly column on VF.com.

I can feel you burbling with anticipation at having read that, pumping your fist and shouting: Gay Cars! Yes! But, I can also sense a question burning up your cerebellum: What’s a Gay Car?

Well, you know what a car is, right? The word Gay here defines a sub-category of them. It is not (simply) intended as a synonym for rejected or sub-standard. It is not (simply) meant to encompass cars that are pastel-colored or sport a sibilant exhaust note. And it doesn’t (simply) characterize a vehicle’s owner. A car’s gayness—like gayness in general—is based in its inhabiting the margins of conventionality. A Gay Car is quirkier, more enigmatic, or more fiercely accessorized than the average vehicle. (It also likes to sleep with other Gay Cars.)

Regular weekly columns will showcase specific Gay Cars, taking seemingly ordinary vehicles and revealing their underlying queerness. We won't go after low-hanging fruit like Saturns or Subarus. Instead, we’ll focus on the obscure and the ambiguous: cars that emit the subtle semiotic signals that register on my GayCarDar. In addition to ID-ing individual Homotivators, we’ll run comparison features (“Which Car is Gayer”), perform outings (“Closet Case Cars”) or answer burning questions (“How Do Gay Guys Keep Their Cars So Clean?”). And while we will, by necessity, trade in stereotypes, we wish to remind readers that it’s all meant in fun.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: ,...Not That There's Anything Wrong With That.

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:gayness in general—is based in its inhabiting the margins of conventionality. A Gay Car is quirkier, more enigmatic
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: ,...Not That There's Anything Wrong With That.

Post by AHTOXA »

I don't know what to say....
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650