Chevy takes on the Mazda 5, and it's good for (some of) us.

All the news that's fit to shift.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Chevy takes on the Mazda 5, and it's good for (some of) us.

Post by DKaz »

The Mazda 5 officially gets a stick shift competitor for the 2012 MY, from an unexpected manufacturer. Already available in Europe and Asia, the seven passenger 2012 Chevrolet Orlando will hit Canadian showrooms later this year with a 2.4L 178HP Ecotec engine mated to six speed manual or automatic transmission in all three of the trim lines: LS, LT, and LTZ. A 1.6L turbo producing the same amount of power may come later on, no word on fuel economy estimates for either but it should be in line with the Mazda 5, Kia Rondo, and upcoming Ford C-Max. It is unfortunately a far cry from the concept, as the boxy design is criticized as the ultimate refrigerator on wheels, but for this Mazda 5 driver desperately in need for that extra seat, this may soon be his refrigerator on wheels. Based on the Cruze platform, it will hopefully at least not drive like one.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) for the Americans, the plan to release the Orlando in the US was cancelled as GM believes that the Americans are already well served by the Equinox and Traverse, both which are also available in Canada, but this could change as the price of gas rises and families look for more fuel efficient ways to transport their families.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2011/01/1 ... ntreal.htm
http://www.auto123.com/en/news/car-news ... tid=126791

It's a good looking car if you ask me, nothing WOW! but nothing offensive either.

Le derriere

Le stick shift.

All exposed, looks a bit smaller than the Mazda 5 cargo space wise, but at least it has 7 seats.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Re: Chevy takes on the Mazda 5, and it's good for (some of)

Post by ElectroGhandi »

Looks neat!
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Re: Chevy takes on the Mazda 5, and it's good for (some of)

Post by DKaz »

ElectroGhandi wrote:Looks neat!
You're the first person I heard who's said something good about this car. I think this car will sell well, although probably not to the enthusiast crowd.

Mods, could you move this to the Manuals In The News forum??
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage