Cadillac CTS 3.6 Loses Manual Transmission For 2012

All the news that's fit to shift.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Cadillac CTS 3.6 Loses Manual Transmission For 2012

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Charles421 wrote:
FDSpirit wrote:Pfft. I doubt most of BMW's customer base even know what a manual transmission is. Hell, most of them didn't even know their cars were RWD.
Shadow wrote:
FDSpirit wrote:Pfft. I doubt most of BMW's customer base even know what a manual transmission is. Hell, most of them didn't even know their cars were RWD.

I'd bet that BMW sells a higher percentage of manual transmission vehicles than most other mainstream manufacturers. I mean, it's obvious that automatics will outsell manuals by a large margin, but I'm saying that BMW probably sells quite a few manuals compared to the other car companies.
The percentage of BMWs 3-series sold with a manual is barely 11% (all 3 series are available with a manual except for the 335d diesel). Regarding the 5-series I mentioned, the manual take rate is just 6%:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418638

Porsche is the highest % of cars sold with a manual, over 50% I think.
I had to custom-order my BMW with a manual. Dealer ran a search for me and found a grand total of three 335i coupes with a manual east of the Mississippi. Not much of a market for them anymore ...

In related news, when I signed the papers for my BMW, the manual was standard and the auto was a few hundred more. In March, they increased the base price of the car by several hundred to subsidize the cost of the auto, which is now a no-cost option.
LOUSY KRAUTS!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

It's kinda hard to gauge it with percentages though. I don't want to get off the topic of the actual topic, although that seems to have already have happened :lol: . I guess some manuals is better than none. My friend recently purchased an older 335i. He had to get his from goddamn Tennessee. Within some huge radius, there were only 2 :( .
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Charles421 wrote: The percentage of BMWs 3-series sold with a manual is barely 11% (all 3 series are available with a manual except for the 335d diesel). Regarding the 5-series I mentioned, the manual take rate is just 6%:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418638

Porsche is the highest % of cars sold with a manual, over 50% I think.
I had to custom-order my BMW with a manual. Dealer ran a search for me and found a grand total of three 335i coupes with a manual east of the Mississippi. Not much of a market for them anymore ...

In related news, when I signed the papers for my BMW, the manual was standard and the auto was a few hundred more. In March, they increased the base price of the car by several hundred to subsidize the cost of the auto, which is now a no-cost option.
11% seems pretty good to me in this day and age. I'd bet most other mainstream car companies can't even approach 11% manual transmission models on thier best selling model. Porsche is obviously a manufacturer that would tend to have relatively high percentages, but I don't really consider them a mainstream manufacturer. I don't think they sell that many vehicles...they are more of a niche brand.

I had to order my Audi A5 with a manual trans also, but I'd love to know the breakdown between auto & manual transmissions on all the A5 models sold so far.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Charles421 wrote: The percentage of BMWs 3-series sold with a manual is barely 11% (all 3 series are available with a manual except for the 335d diesel).

I forgot to ask you where you found this information....

I'm trying to find similar data for other cars as well, and it's not easy to find at all.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Charles421 wrote:In related news, when I signed the papers for my BMW, the manual was standard and the auto was a few hundred more. In March, they increased the base price of the car by several hundred to subsidize the cost of the auto, which is now a no-cost option.
Bad: Reduces incentive for buyers
Meh: May reduce price dealer pays, allowing people to haggle down more
Good: Increases profit, making them want to sell more and maybe put a few more on lots

...or it could mean that autos truly are the same or cheaper for them because of economies of scale. That would just be bad for us all around. I suspect it's more likely than them subsidizing the cost of auto with increased base price.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Charles421
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe, 6MT

Post by Charles421 »

Shadow wrote:
Charles421 wrote: The percentage of BMWs 3-series sold with a manual is barely 11% (all 3 series are available with a manual except for the 335d diesel).

I forgot to ask you where you found this information....

I'm trying to find similar data for other cars as well, and it's not easy to find at all.
It's not easy to find, I agree. I asked my BMW dealer. Keep in mind that figure is just for the 3 series, I don't know what it is for other models like the M3, Z4, etc. Whenever the question is asked on the E90post forums, people insist it is over 90% auto for the 3 series. No reference to their info though. The 5 series as noted is 6%. Some BMWs like the X3, X5, 7 series are not even sold with a manual option (X3 dropped it a few years ago, the others never had it).
2011 BMW E92 335i: Le Mans Blue, M Sport, 6MT w/ CDV Mod, BMW Performance Exhaust + Style 269 19" Wheels
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

The X5 had a manual for the first couple of years. I was thinking of buying a 2001 manual X5 fully loaded when one was available. It sold very quickly.

I didn't know you could still get a 550i with manual. I thought the 535i was the only one.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Charles421 wrote: It's not easy to find, I agree. I asked my BMW dealer.
Oh...okay. I was hoping that you had some kind of reputable source (dealerships don't fall into that category, IMO) like a website that listed detailed sales information.

If anyone knows of such a site, please let me know. Every time I try to find sales information for new vehicles (of any brand), I always seem to hit a wall.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Nice...but I have to subscribe (pay money) to access the info?
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

As a fan of the manual transmission, I hate to see any make drop the manual option. I love my manual transmission Honda Element, but they dropped the manual in 2010. I did a google search on the subject and found someone that had asked the question about what percentage of Americans cannot drive a stick. This article is 3 years old so the percentage is probably higher now.
Link to article/question http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 111AAOOsxh

Found another article from 2001 predicting the demise of the manual transmission.
Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/28/us/da ... -time.html

You figure that automatics have been around in mass production since the 1950's , so there are probably some people that are 60+ years old that have never driven a stick.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I agree with what you're saying Bill, but I don't know that I'd use yahoo answers as a reliable source for information. Especially since their answer does not cite any sources. But yes, it seems to be a fading thing, and that's bad. We can all agree on that.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

Volvo dropped the manual transmission in their S40 and V50 as well... sad.

And I think in a survey, 44% of BMW 1 series drivers thought that their cars were FWD.

I want the CTS-V Wagon though... even more so since watching this video.

09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

DKaz wrote:And I think in a survey, 44% of BMW 1 series drivers thought that their cars were FWD.
...and one Mustang driver:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
scientist
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Mini Cooper

Post by scientist »

I bought my Mini Cooper about a month ago, and it was about $1200 for an automatic (no charge for manual). I have no clue what the percentage of standard Minis is, but I feel like it's somewhat higher than other makes, but that's based on nothing at all.
'04 Honda Civic AT
'11 Mini Cooper 6-speed