Ram to stop Fanning Dakota Embers

All the news that's fit to shift.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Ram to stop Fanning Dakota Embers

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Chrysler Ends Dakota Production

It’s the end of the line for production of the Ram Dakota, The Detroit News is reporting. The neglected and forgotten Dakota has long been an afterthought to the Ram 1500, the bread and butter of the Ram line.
The Warren Truck Plant where the Dakota is built also builds the Ram 1500. So far 39 temporary workers have been let go due to the end of Dakota production. The UAW expects the number could reach 150 or more.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/chrysle ... 70167.html
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Re: Ram to stop Fanning Dakota Embers

Post by Rope-Pusher »

"The last Dakota pickup reaches the end of the line at Warren Truck Assembly Plant Tuesday. (Photo by Jeff Jagoda, Warren Truck Assembly Plant)
The last Dakota pickup truck was built at Warren (Mich.) Truck Assembly Plant on Tuesday, ending production of the Chrysler Group’s small pickup after a quarter of a century.

The first generation of the Dakota was produced from 1986 (as a 1987 model) through 1996. The second-generation Dakota was built from 1997 through 2004. The current vehicle was redesigned in 2005.

Dakota, which means “friend” or “ally” in the Sioux language, was always manufactured at Warren Truck where more than 2,750,000 of them were built.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

*cries, salutes, looks forward to firing a few shots in remembrance of a wonderful model*
:cry:
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

They became so obscure that I didn't realize they still made them up to this point.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

They averaged over 100,000 sales a year for 25 years. I wouldn't say they're obscure. It's just that you can still fit them into a garage and shut the door, which is not possible with a lot of pick-m-ups.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

My comment was geared towards the later gen, was it 2005 and up? I see plenty of the older ones, just not the new ones.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:My comment was geared towards the later gen, was it 2005 and up? I see plenty of the older ones, just not the new ones.
I actually think the newer ones sneak by our periphery in the guise of Ram pick-m-ups.
Not a 75%-sized copy, but definitely has a strong fambilly resemblance. Doesn't look like a Ford or a Chevy, fur shur.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

They are troka obscura because of two things: buyers switched to full size and marketing budget disappeared. It probably didn't help that its size kept increasing, taking away the advantages it had over full size.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

comingbackdown wrote:*cries, salutes, looks forward to firing a few shots in remembrance of a wonderful model*
What the hell are you on? :? :roll:
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

watkins wrote:
comingbackdown wrote:*cries, salutes, looks forward to firing a few shots in remembrance of a wonderful model*
What the hell are you on? :? :roll:
I own one. My father owns one. Never had a truly major problem with either one of 'em. We both love our trucks. Also, it's not like it's hard to work on either. Plus, I have the factory manual for mine. No problems thus far.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I don't know much about these trucks but a coworker owns one of these from the 90s and it's been good to him. No major issues. Never left him stranded. Never missed work because of it.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

AHTOXA wrote:I don't know much about these trucks but a coworker owns one of these from the 90s and it's been good to him. No major issues. Never left him stranded. Never missed work because of it.
That's the thing. I have a '92, never had any issue with it save a small electrical issue that took me ages to find since it happened to be a short in a wiring pigtail that I never knew existed. Dad has an '02, a friend of mine used to have a '00. Every Dak owner I talk to, they love their truck. Some of them have had issues that wouldn't be major if they had any real automotive knowledge, but they didn't, so big mechanic bills.

Grand thing is, I haven't seen more than one common issue (google "Dakota resistor pack" and it should become perfectly clear) on the list of several. Most common issues on these trucks are due to Crisisler's TERRIBLE splicing, and fixed in ten minutes or less.

I was quite amazed the other day... Haven't had time for an oil change yet (might do that tomorrow), but I've done everything else on the tune-up list. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter... My fingers slipped off the key and she turned over once, and half a second later took off and ran. I didn't even think she could do that at all, even under the best conditions. I was quite pleased.

Sure, they might not be the most famous truck out there, or the most absolutely reliable, but their common issues are well known among enthusiasts and there's just enough of an aftermarket to make them quite interesting... Plus, converting a Magnum V6 to a Magnum V8 is easy enough once you have the engine and three or four other parts. :) There have even been a couple crazy bastards who've slapped a Viper V10 into a Dakota. Crazy f*ckers...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^....or you could even through in a Magnum PI
but I bet it's a more difficult swap.

If they used to fit a 360 in there for the Shelby version, a Hammy would prolly fit as well.